Thursday, November 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC LEADERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of his many horses was named Roitelet & was ridden on the way home from Russia in 1812

Rotimi Kukoyi: 7600-7599=1
Isabella Pagano: 8000-8000=0
Caleb Richmond: 20200+0=20200 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Napoleon Bonaparte (Rotimi – Tolstoy [Hey Carlos & Tra]) (Isabella – Czar Nicholas)

Daily Doubles
Caleb: 200+1000
Rotimi: 4600-1400
Caleb: 13600-3000

Coryats
Rotimi: 9000
Isabella: 8000
Caleb: 23000

Combined: 40,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Rotimi: 3400
Isabella: 3600
Caleb: 11200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hope Gary Johnson is watching today. ;)

For Andy - (forgot to include it in the email) Caleb had to be busted at WOMEN AUTHORS $1600 as he clearly ended the character name with -a and not the proper -i making that clue a C- & TS and not a C+

The FJ! clue brought me back to high school and the pieces were a basic connect the dots for the horse name origin, Russia and the year. Rotimi & Isabella sticking with Russia is the kind of thing that will have company on this board. Nice by Caleb to go the proper way.

Caleb had his way with the material and the buzzer other than the miss on DD3. He may have to work a little harder in the semis.

Figures the TV would be 1/5 for me with a lot of shows I don't watch and the one clue I got for the show I do watch was the TS.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Bummer on that FJ for Rotimi and Isabella - I wonder if they would have covered World History yet in school. I'm trying to remember back in the olden days - when we knew Napoleon personally - whether world history started in 9th or 10th grade.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Can we poll the entire TV category? :lol: Never seen any of those shows and only got Adventure Time through osmosis or something.

I started World History in 9th grade, but we didn't get to the Napoleonic Era until 10th. Instaget Final.

Caleb might be a tough out next week.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Caleb gave me the impression that he'd at least be competitive in the grown up version of the game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

threearruda wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:59 pm Can we poll the entire TV category? :lol: Never seen any of those shows and only got Adventure Time through osmosis or something.
I missed all but American Gods.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Yes on FJ. The French sounding name for the horse led me to him.
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm Bummer on that FJ for Rotimi and Isabella - I wonder if they would have covered World History yet in school. I'm trying to remember back in the olden days - when we knew Napoleon personally - whether world history started in 9th or 10th grade.
The knowledge base of these kids definitely surpasses that of their peers by a significant margin, though, so I'm not sure that discussing Napoleon in class should really have any kind of bearing on their ability to come up with the correct response.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:59 pm
threearruda wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:59 pm Can we poll the entire TV category? :lol: Never seen any of those shows and only got Adventure Time through osmosis or something.
I missed all but American Gods.
I think I only got Adventure Time and Fear the Walking Dead, though I recognized the names from American Gods as being from something I had seen. It was pretty silly to ask these kids about a couple TV-MA shows.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm Bummer on that FJ for Rotimi and Isabella - I wonder if they would have covered World History yet in school. I'm trying to remember back in the olden days - when we knew Napoleon personally - whether world history started in 9th or 10th grade.
would imagine they have had learned a bit of napoleon...the girl knew of nicholas II....napoleon is more stressed in american education than early 20th century russian dudes
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

I started World History in 9th grade, but we didn't get to the Napoleonic Era until 10th. Instaget Final.

i went 0 for 5 in tv and tv on the whole is probably my 3rd best subject area...only ever heard of fear the walking dead...never heard of the other 4 before

why is it when they have teen and university tournaments they always have current and recent movies and tv? they give them old authors and books why not movies and tv?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 pm
The knowledge base of these kids definitely surpasses that of their peers by a significant margin, though, so I'm not sure that discussing Napoleon in class should really have any kind of bearing on their ability to come up with the correct response.
totally agree...if they can name nicholas II and tolstoy, they definitely know of napoleon
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:11 am
would imagine they have learned a bit about napoleon...the girl knew of nicholas II....napoleon is more stressed in american education than early 20th century russian dudes
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:14 am

i went 0 for 5 in tv and tv on the whole is probably my 3rd best subject area...only ever heard of fear the walking dead...never heard of the other 4 before

why is it when they have teen and university tournaments they always have current and recent movies and tv? they give them old authors and books why not movies and tv?
I don't believe I got any of the TV clues either, and NHO most of them. I'm constantly aware that there are more TV networks now than there were programs when I was in my teens. Whichever version of J! we talk about, I have no idea how anybody keeps up with all the shows enough to do well in this category, and still have a life.

Nice job by the teens. Any time I feel tempted to think "I knew that! Why don't they?" I stop and ask myself how much of this material would I have known when I was 15? Very impressive. My only LT the whole night was $400 on Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Yeah, instaget on Napoleon. And yeah, I agree that Caleb would be competitive in the college tournament, if not in the adult version. Sharp kid.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: *Pippi Longstocking*, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, (Tetanus), (Academy)

Only misses were Eleanor and Park(Which does sound familiar.), and the bottom FOUR in TV.

Darn that TV category. :x
Douglas Squasoni
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 pm
I think you're missing my point. Of course, they are very bright kids - it's why this tournament is so fun to watch - and yes, they obviously stand above their peers in terms of knowledge. But, they are still young and there is only so much knowledge you can soak up on your own at that age. My only point is that if they hadn't studied much European history yet, this FJ clue wasn't as easy as some others and was even a bit on the oblique side (like throwing in the name of the horse which who the heck would know anything about the horse's name??). Same thing if the question had involved trig or English literature or other subjects that tend to be studied later in high school - unless the question goes to something specific that a freshmen/first-year would have studied on their own, they're at a slight disadvantage.

I'm not complaining about it and I don't think Rotimi and Isabella would either; I'm just pointing out the reality where you have a range of a four year difference in age and exposure.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

French name + Russia +1812 = pure WECIB.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Caleb is the best argument there's been in a while for putting the TT champion in the ToC.

If I ever get on and am in a situation where Jupiter is the correct response, I'm definitely saying "What is Jupiter?" to the tune of the first five notes of the horn part in the Holst piece.