Monday, November 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL GROUPS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The economic bloc known as the G8 became the G7 in 2014 upon the expulsion of this country

Tim Cho: 17400+16201=33601 (Semi-Finalist)
Jack Izzo: 16800+1200=18000 (Wildcard)
Rhea Sinha: 11800-5000=6800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Russia

Daily Doubles
Tim: 1800-1800
Tim: 2200+2200
Tim: 13600+3000

Coryats
Tim: 16800
Jack: 16800
Rhea: 11800

Combined: 45,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tim: 2200
Jack: 6000
Rhea: 4600
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another outdated clue thanks to the recent A.G. change.

The combined Coryat is the high of the four games so far. A couple of hiccups were funny with cross & rabbit's foot misses for the lucky doorway item and 0/3 on the voices guessing bass, baritone & alto.

The FJ! round is the place to take a guess. I did and matched the gentlemen. My confidence level does not matter.

Updated wildcard list:
Spoiler

Emma: 18400
Jack: 18000
Claire: 16999
Rhea: 6800
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Was Tim unclear on how these tournaments go with respect to his FJ wager - or incredibly supremely confident??
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I mean, there's the Buzzy Cohen strategy (playing for the win so you don't have to worry about wild cards)...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:13 pm I mean, there's the Buzzy Cohen strategy (playing for the win so you don't have to worry about wild cards)...
There's really no way to rationalize Tim's FJ wager. It was extremely risky because a wrong FJ answer essentially eliminates him and a much smaller wager would essentially have guaranteed a spot in the semis. He was either comfortable with that risk or he forgot how the tournament works; I'm guessing it was the former, but let's not try to pretend it was strategic.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I made the lucky guess on FJ. I couldn't think of any big world event from 2014 that was tied to a certain country. So which country has caused controversy over the past few years? North Korea? Probably wouldn't be a part of a notable economic bloc. Russia? That seems a good a guess as anything. Seems like kind of a tough clue for the teens, but I can't argue with a 2/3 get rate.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:38 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:13 pm I mean, there's the Buzzy Cohen strategy (playing for the win so you don't have to worry about wild cards)...
There's really no way to rationalize Tim's FJ wager. It was extremely risky because a wrong FJ answer essentially eliminates him and a much smaller wager would essentially have guaranteed a spot in the semis. He was either comfortable with that risk or he forgot how the tournament works; I'm guessing it was the former, but let's not try to pretend it was strategic.
Buzzy won the Tournament of Champions, but hey, you do you.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Jack looked way too old for this tourney. I think it was the hairstyle.

Today was probably a record day for me in terms of running categories: Spanish, Music, and Just My Luck in J!, and Theme Parks, English, and Ecology in DJ!

Can't say I've heard of a "blazer" before in the clothing sense.

I thought the second meaning of "tenor" was tough for the top box in this tourney, even if I got it.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: upright piano, horseshoe, tenor, narcolepsy, opus
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:20 pm
Buzzy won the Tournament of Champions, but hey, you do you.
It really doesn't matter who does it - a wager that has a completely unnecessary risk is a wager that has a completely unnecessary risk. A bad FJ guess and Tim's watching the rest of the tournament; it's really that simple.

I suspect Tim doesn't have Buzzy's resources (in terms of Jeopardy wins or his salary) but it's certainly possible that money is less important than it is to the other contestants.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

To rationalize Tim's wager I would look at his possibilities.

1. Bet nothing - 17400 is very likely to make it to the semis
2. Bet a little - Any get improves his position while a miss could still leave him in good shape
3. Bet a lot - Insure that with a get he cannot be passed

There is risk with all three options with 14 other players (as far as Tim knows) in contention for the nine spots.

Tim went with option 3. That's his choice and it does not bother me.

Tim may have had a sense from previous Teen Tournaments that the FJ! clues were to his liking at a high solve rate.
Tim could have had an ego that he did not want to lose and treated the QF game like a regular game.
Tim may have wanted to do go big or go home and not wanting to regret a zero or low wager.

We don't know what will happen tomorrow although there is the possibility of 3 players going over 18000 for their total. Tim's wager might look a little better.

The viewer advantage is seeing the QF games one at a time and being able to track the scores. The player disadvantage in a tourney is not having that information.

Yes, it's possible to look at previous tournaments and have an idea of a score needed to move on. It's no guarantee though. Tim also does not know what Jack and Rhea will do. Rhea could double up and obviously Jack was in position to pass Tim as well depending on what he did in the round.

First to third is not ideal. Tim bet on himself. His right to do so. He knows he's moving on.

Yes, Tim's wager could have backfired and there are plenty of strong players who went out in the QF round for doing so. Them's the breaks.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Great game. Not sold on Tim's "**** the wildcard" wager, but *shrug* no biggie. Instaget FJ.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:26 am Another outdated clue thanks to the recent A.G. change.
Well, it didn't say he was the current AG, just that he was the 84th (and Alabaman), though the clue might not have been that simple if he hadn't been the current AG at the time.
Updated wildcard list:
Spoiler

Emma: 18400
Jack: 18000
Claire: 16999
Rhea: 6800
Spoiler
I'm going to have to look up that list of WC cutoffs. Claire missing the semis with 16999 would be absolutely brutal.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:26 am Another outdated clue thanks to the recent A.G. change.
Not really; the fact that there's now an (acting) 85th doesn't change the fact that he's the 84th.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:05 pm Was Tim unclear on how these tournaments go with respect to his FJ wager - or incredibly supremely confident??
He was playing for a 1-dollar win if Jack was correct and bet it all.

And a bet-it-all strategy wouldn't have been completely unreasonable for Jack, if he was confident in the category--33,600 would all but guarantees him a wild card if he's right.

One thing I've wondered--does playing in a Thursday or Friday-aired quarterfinal in a tournament give people who know they can't win but are playing for a semifinal spot an advantage, since they know what they've got to beat? With four wild-card spots, then if you're in one of the last two episodes of the taping day you know that as long as you beat out every other non-winner to that point you're guaranteed one of them. Kind of like going second in college football overtime...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:58 pm
One thing I've wondered--does playing in a Thursday or Friday-aired quarterfinal in a tournament give people who know they can't win but are playing for a semifinal spot an advantage, since they know what they've got to beat? With four wild-card spots, then if you're in one of the last two episodes of the taping day you know that as long as you beat out every other non-winner you're guaranteed one of them. Kind of like going second in college football overtime...
No. The players are sequestered until they appear to avoid that coming into play.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm not going to fault Tim's wager as winning the game is the one sure way to guarantee moving on. He may have felt social studies was a strength, too. I personally probably would have bet 0, but I'm a naturally conservative wagerer.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This is the second time I've been a triple-stumper on Jeopardy!

This was the first:

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

For anyone wondering, Rhea was just fine with plutarchy. Definition 1 is "plutocracy," the response they were going for and the response she switched to when Alex hemmed and hawed.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I wasn't going to miss that one since I was randomly thinking about Mr. Holland's Opus yesterday ;)