2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:22 pm I can quite get the wording of the joke right, but if Meg Ryan wasn't already considered a cougar, she will be soon, since she's engaged to John Mellencamp.

Let's hope he's finally found that lover who won't drive him crazy.
This post hurts so good.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:25 pm 2018 inductees into the Toy Hall of Fame: Magic 8 Ball, pinball, & Uno
Does this make any sense to you, Mark? It seems to me that if all pinball machines get inducted as one, shouldn't all dolls be considered one entry?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woof wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:25 pm 2018 inductees into the Toy Hall of Fame: Magic 8 Ball, pinball, & Uno
Does this make any sense to you, Mark? It seems to me that if all pinball machines get inducted as one, shouldn't all dolls be considered one entry?
This is the specific page for the pinball: http://www.toyhalloffame.org/toys/pinball

A generic entry of "doll" to cover all of them would be as bad as "board game" for all of those possibilities. For "pinball" imagine if just one was picked? Fans of any other choice would not be happy. Pinball needs to be recognized and included in the Hall and now it's done. And it should have happened before "blanket" got in.

The Hall is like the R&R Hall or any pro sports hall as there is always plenty of room for varying opinions.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

My varying opinion is that pinball is so much more than just a toy, and I'm personally looking forward to when the Chicago Pinball Hall of Fame opens up. Now I won't have to go to Las Vegas for one.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:54 pmFor "pinball" imagine if just one was picked? Fans of any other choice would not be happy.
I think this is more important: a Barbie doll and a baby doll (both are in the hall of fame) are played with in completely different ways, but all pinball machines are played with in basically the same manner.

(If I had to pick one particular pinball machine to go into the hall of fame, it would be the Gottlieb Humpty Dumpty (1947), which was the first machine with flippers, which turned pinball into an obvious game of skill, rather than something that seemed to be primarily luck-based.)
RJRouge wrote:My varying opinion is that pinball is so much more than just a toy...
I agree with you, although in the same sense that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame includes more than just "rock & roll" performers, the Toy Hall of Fame includes more than just "toys."
BlueberryPlainsNever
Contributor

Post by BlueberryPlainsNever »

RIP to the great Stan Lee, creator of Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk and many other comic characters. He was 95 years old.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/10632283 ... dead-at-95
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The kilogram will no longer be measured by an iridium-platinum block but instead by Planck's constant.
The word 'Kibble' is also involved, which will be involved in the future clue. *puts 100 quatloos on the table*

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46143399
On Friday, researchers meeting in Versailles voted to get rid of it in favour of defining a kilogram in terms of an electric current.
But h is an incredibly small number and to measure it, the research scientist Dr Bryan Kibble built a super-accurate set of scales. The Kibble balance, as it has become known, has an electromagnet that pulls down on one side of the scales and a weight - say, a kilogram - on the other.
By measuring the current running through the electromagnet to incredible precision, the researchers are able to calculate h to an accuracy of 0.000001%.
Every few decades, all the replica kilograms in the world had to be checked against Le Grand K. The new system, now that it's been adopted, will allow anyone with a Kibble balance to check their weights anytime and anywhere, according to NPL's Dr Ian Robinson.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-art- ... SKCN1NL0AT
An iconic 1972 painting by British artist David Hockney soared to $90.3 million at Christie’s on Thursday, smashing the record for the highest price ever paid at auction for a work by a living artist.

With Christie’s commission, “Portrait of an Artist (Pool with Two Figures),” surpassed the auction house’s pre-sale estimate of about $80 million, following a bidding war between two determined would-be buyers once the work hit $70 million.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:56 am https://www.reuters.com/article/us-art- ... SKCN1NL0AT
An iconic 1972 painting by British artist David Hockney soared to $90.3 million at Christie’s on Thursday, smashing the record for the highest price ever paid at auction for a work by a living artist.

With Christie’s commission, “Portrait of an Artist (Pool with Two Figures),” surpassed the auction house’s pre-sale estimate of about $80 million, following a bidding war between two determined would-be buyers once the work hit $70 million.
Don't forget: "swimming pool" = Hockney.

As for the kilogram thing, I saw a twitter thread about it that claimed that the solid kilogram was official to a point where, if someone accidentally broke a piece off it, the official value of the kilogram would also drop by the amount broken off. That's weird.
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-guat ... SKCN1NO1VG

Fuego continues its assault on Guatemala
Nearly 4,000 people were evacuated on Monday from areas around Guatemala’s Fuego volcano, which began violently erupting overnight, the country’s disaster agency Conred said.
Honorary Oscars have been given out as well:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 052366002/

Actress Cicely "Tyson, composer Lalo "Original Mission:Impossible Theme that won a competitive Grammy" Schifrin and publicist Marvin Levy (who ran publicity for Amblin and later Dreamworks films) took home honorary Oscars.

Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall, the other people who co-founded Amblin, shared the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award. Kennedy is the first woman to get the Thalberg.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

William Goldman, Oscar-winning screenwriter of ‘Butch Cassidy’ and ‘All the President's Men,’ dies at 87
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:15 pm William Goldman, Oscar-winning screenwriter of ‘Butch Cassidy’ and ‘All the President's Men,’ dies at 87
I read Hype and Glory, his book that detailed the year he was a judge at the Miss America pageant. It was the year that later Jeopardy Power Players contestant Gretchen Carlson won. Fascinating read.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:15 pm William Goldman, Oscar-winning screenwriter of 'The Princess Bride,' ‘Butch Cassidy’ and ‘All the President's Men,’ dies at 87
FIFY
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:30 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:15 pm William Goldman, Oscar-winning screenwriter of 'The Princess Bride,' ‘Butch Cassidy’ and ‘All the President's Men,’ dies at 87
FIFY
Haha thanks. Was trying to post from my phone, did a copy paste from the LA Times photo caption :)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

In other news, I highly recommend the film about writer Lee Israel’s adventures in literary forgery, Can You Ever Forgive Me, starring Melissa McCarthy, Richard E. Grant, and Jane Curtin - all outstanding. Set in NYC and full of wit, despair and 80s hair. There’s even a cat!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:41 pm full of wit, despair and 80s hair.
That belongs on the movie poster.
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/46325735
Phil Mickelson bests Tiger Woods in "The Match", a pay per view golf event. (Just...take a couple seconds to let those five words sink in...)
American basketball legend Charles Barkley, who apparently speaks from experience of his own less-than-stellar skills on the links, was less generous on the same show.

"This is some crappy golf," said the former NBA star.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Match: Tiger vs. Phil

The winner:
Spoiler
Phil Mickelson defeated Tiger Woods on the 22nd hole to win $9M. The match was played at Shadow Creek in North Las Vegas.
Anything else noteworthy for trivia that could show up on J!, Millionaire or LL?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Great minds. Volante types faster.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Ricky Jay, of Ricky Jay and His 52 Assistants fame, also Deadwood and other bit actor parts, has died.
Spoiler
(His assistants were playing cards)
https://news.avclub.com/r-i-p-ricky-jay ... 1830637684