Tuesday, November 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:39 am Since I had never heard of them before the clue last night, it was really weird to open the newspaper this morning and see this comic strip:
A classic case of Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Red, Malta, Wuthering Heights, (Pan), Alliance, Shy, Tesla, Daytona

I don't need to mention the ones I missed since they are the remaining Lach Trash.
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mfc248 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:16 am Upon that particular response, I was hoping she would've instead said "Philosopher's Stone," if for no other reason than to elicit a "we'll accept that" from Alex.
The clue was a list of three choices. Going off-menu would be ill-advised.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:56 pm "British? Hmm...shell? Beach...*conjures a mental image*...Lord of the Flies? Yeah, 1954 sounds about right." *shrug* They all count.
I did not know the date of LOTF, so that was no help. But British made me think of a British author (some times I'm so smart!) and "shell" also made me think of beach. Not having read the book either I had no idea about chapter titles. GUESSING that the shell was a seashell I sussed out LOTF. As you said, they all count.

Now my question of the day: part 1: is LOTF part of the required reading list in high school these days. In my HS days we read different stuff. I guess if this is something everyone reads now (like what? 1984? To Kill a Mockingbird? The Color Purple?) this get by two teenagers was maybe not as extraordinary as I thought. part 2: Did this seem as incredibly difficult (for teens) to any of you guys as it did to me? I thought this was a killer for teens and I was very impressed that two of them got it.

Yeah, shame about Maggie not advancing. Of course she had no idea what number it takes to advance. I would always stand pat on $15K but I'm not sure if I would stand pat on $12,700. She seemed to be trying to win the game outright (again, WHY??) I precalled Maggie and Autumn to bet small (maybe $2K each) and Rohan perhaps a bit more. Hope wagering makes more sense in the semifinals.

and of course, 0-for-5 in video games. :roll:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 pm
davey wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:28 pm LOTF was an involuntary precall; still I can't quite believe they dipped into that well yet again... :roll:
I suppose Maggie was thinking of a different kind of shell. Glad nobody guessed All Quiet on the Western Front... ;)
That last Remarque was uncalled for.
:lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:59 pm Now my question of the day: part 1: is LOTF part of the required reading list in high school these days. In my HS days we read different stuff. I guess if this is something everyone reads now (like what? 1984? To Kill a Mockingbird? The Color Purple?) this get by two teenagers was maybe not as extraordinary as I thought. part 2: Did this seem as incredibly difficult (for teens) to any of you guys as it did to me? I thought this was a killer for teens and I was very impressed that two of them got it.
It was required reading for me in HS, first two years easily. So was 1984.
TKAM was somewhere in grades 6 to 8.
Color Purple was never required.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:59 pm
Now my question of the day: part 1: is LOTF part of the required reading list in high school these days. In my HS days we read different stuff. I guess if this is something everyone reads now (like what? 1984? To Kill a Mockingbird? The Color Purple?) this get by two teenagers was maybe not as extraordinary as I thought. part 2: Did this seem as incredibly difficult (for teens) to any of you guys as it did to me? I thought this was a killer for teens and I was very impressed that two of them got it.
I know I read LOTF in high school more than 40 years ago, but whether I was assigned it or I picked it up because I was so taken with the movie version (which, as we've discussed before, was ubiquitous on TV when I was a kid), I don't remember. I know high school peers were assigned it, because I recall one complaining about it. I'm not surprised that it's a perennial, as dark as it is.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I did a Lord of the Flies–related project my senior year (2000-2001) (although I got away with not reading the book—my project was based on an early scene that I felt foreshadowed things that I understood happened later in the book).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

We also had a LOTF-related project. All of the boys in the class were sent to an island. Most of us came back.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

John Boy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:59 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:56 pm "British? Hmm...shell? Beach...*conjures a mental image*...Lord of the Flies? Yeah, 1954 sounds about right." *shrug* They all count.

was one of 2 books that i read in high school...was 10th grade...blew off the other ones as they didn't interest me
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:19 pm We also had a LOTF-related project. All of the boys in the class were sent to an island. Most of us came back.
Well, I was going to try a one-liner like this, but yours is much better. Thanks for the LOTD--laugh of the day.

And the rest of you, thanks for your input. I still say that was a really nice get by the two contestants.

In HS I recall reading A Tale of Two Cities, Brave New World, Julius Caesar, parts of Canterbury Tales. Not really good stuff like LOTF (and I say that without first-hand knowledge, but I may have to correct that and read the darned thing, as I see it is such a part of cultural literacy).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I don't recall reading anything in high school.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ok, I heard "The Sound of the Shell" and went right to military novels. My guess was "All Quiet on the Western Front". :(
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

43 right.

Literary Which Came First (4), Games of the Video Variety (2), Teen Titans (5), Colors (3), Summer Camp (4), Post Malone (4)

Where Are We? (4), You've Got Class (3), Rhymes With a Vowel (5), Whose Hit Album? (4), Historian's Glossary (3), Pasture Bedtime (2)

Lach Trash: Malta, Wuthering Heights, Red Dead Redemption, shy, Daytona

A quick get- the year looked right and "Shell" made me think of an island.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Brewster Rockit frequently tickles my funny bone.
Fainting Goats 1.gif
Fainting Goats 1.gif (66.88 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Fainting Goats 2.gif
Fainting Goats 2.gif (71.74 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Fainting Goats 3.gif
Fainting Goats 3.gif (71.97 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mfc248 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:16 am

From the couch this evening, I gave the thumbs-up to Autumn's all-business approach; it recalled how both Matt Jackson and Niki Peters handled matters three seasons ago. At the mid-first round break, Alex's setup had me worried - but when he handed it off to Autumn, she took it in stride, with grace and aplomb. Seeing that impelled me to find something the show put out several years ago - a compilation of the interviews of Dana Venator, finalist in the very first Teen Tournament all the way back in February 1987.

I don't have a link to a source, but I seem to recall that even now, Alex noted Dana as one of the most memorable contestants ever to grace Stage 10 (or its predecessor in Burbank, as is the case here). I think Venator also has a singular distinction in the show's history - the only player to win a tournament game and not advance (or in the case of a final, win the event).
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am behind on watching and just now saw this game.

I don't quite follow what you are saying about Dana winning a game and not advancing. What happened with her?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^The Teen Reunion Tournament in Nov. 1998 was structured to have twelve contestants play four semi-final games, but only the top three scorers of the week could advance to the final game on Friday (since Dana finished in fourth place, she did get $7,500 while all the losing contestants got $5,000).

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=883
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:17 pm ^The Teen Reunion Tournament in Nov. 1998 was structured to have twelve contestants play four semi-final games, but only the top three scorers of the week could advance to the final game on Friday (since Dana finished in fourth place, she did get $7,500 while all the losing contestants got $5,000).

Thanks. That was a dumb format. They should have brought back 15 for a full tournament or just have nine and start with semi-finals.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:17 pm ^The Teen Reunion Tournament in Nov. 1998 was structured to have twelve contestants play four semi-final games, but only the top three scorers of the week could advance to the final game on Friday (since Dana finished in fourth place, she did get $7,500 while all the losing contestants got $5,000).

So lemme get this straight: Dana had an 8900-3500-3300 lock, made the maximum safe bet, and lost the 3rd spot to someone with a 6100-2100-1800 lock...who Clavin'd and finished with 12k. Yeesh. Thank goodness they never used that format again.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:00 pm

So lemme get this straight: Dana had an 8900-3500-3300 lock, made the maximum safe bet, and lost the 3rd spot to someone with a 6100-2100-1800 lock...who Clavin'd and finished with 12k. Yeesh. Thank goodness they never used that format again.
I'm kind of glad they did just once, just because the strategic Clavin is an interesting wrinkle, and it showed what Eric Newhouse was made of. But yes, eliminating a victorious contestant by design isn't cool.