Thursday, November 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Board
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Board
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION ERA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She was disowned by the Quakers after marrying an Episcopalian upholsterer in 1773 & later took over his business

Maya Wright: 17600+8000=25600 (Finalist)
Caleb Richmond: 8200-2601=5599
Jack Izzo: 5400-5384=16

Correct response:
Spoiler
Betsy Ross (Caleb – Who are the great people I’ve met here? Thanks guys!) (Jack – Who is [drawing of a ghost] IDK good game)

Daily Doubles
Jack: 1400+1400
Caleb: 2600-2000
Jack: 7400-6000

Coryats
Maya: 17600
Caleb: 10200
Jack: 10800

Combined: 38,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Maya: 8400
Caleb: 600
Jack: 5400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex of course had to copy the teens with the pointed fingers for the introduction.

The writers made the right move having the CLASSIC TV clue that included “TRUST_NO1” & “FBI agents” in the $2000 slot as it went TS. Young people. :roll:

The scoreboard left it open for the guys to write whatever they wanted for the FJ! round. Maya’s wager left something else open. :o

What will tomorrow’s FJ! clue be? I don’t know although it may be more appropriate for Jeff Foxworthy to read it.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:29 am Alex of course had to copy the teens with the pointed fingers for the introduction.

The writers made the right move having the CLASSIC TV clue that included “TRUST_NO1” & “FBI agents” in the $2000 slot as it went TS. Young people. :roll:

The scoreboard left it open for the guys to write whatever they wanted for the FJ! round. Maya’s wager left something else open. :o

What will tomorrow’s FJ! clue be? I don’t know although it may be more appropriate for Jeff Foxworthy to read it.
Yeah, did Maya just completely forget how the game is played?? It worked out but wow, that has to be one of the bigger near blunders we've seen in a while that wasn't just an obvious math error (unless she inadvertently added another zero). Because that was not that difficult a FJ clue; not anything I remember hearing, but WECIB?
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:12 pmBecause that was not that difficult a FJ clue; not anything I remember hearing, but WECIB?
My first thought, keying in on "Quakers" and "Episcopalian," was Anne Hutchinson (remember, the Puritans began as a movement in the Church of England, though I didn't know if she was born into a Friends family or not--turns out not)--before I remembered "no, way too late to be her."

Also there's no way they ask about Anne Hutchinson on the TT, I suppose.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:35 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:12 pmBecause that was not that difficult a FJ clue; not anything I remember hearing, but WECIB?
My first thought, keying in on "Quakers" and "Episcopalian," was Anne Hutchinson (remember, the Puritans began as a movement in the Church of England, though I didn't know if she was born into a Friends family or not--turns out not)--before I remembered "no, way too late to be her."

Anne Hutchinson seems like fair game in this tournament. American history is a prime category and if anything, schools spend a lot of time on colonial life and the Revolutionary War. Given that this tournament has the best and brightest, they could certainly dig a little deeper than today's FJ, although it wasn't quite as blindingly obvious as most of the prior FJ clues so far.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 pm

Anne Hutchinson seems like fair game in this tournament. American history is a prime category and if anything, schools spend a lot of time on colonial life and the Revolutionary War. Given that this tournament has the best and brightest, they could certainly dig a little deeper than today's FJ, although it wasn't quite as blindingly obvious as most of the prior FJ clues so far.
Yes, the FJ! clues could "dig a little deeper" while Anne Hutchinson has only one hit from 10 years ago. That one clue had her name included in the clue's wording. Asking for the name in the FJ! round of the Teen Tournament? None chance as way beyond the scope of what would be asked of the students. This is the tournament to KISS it to "keep it simple, silly."

I'll just mark myself for a "no" tomorrow after making this post and it will serve me right.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So that's how you pronounce "Synecdoche". I didn't recognize it when spoken, as I was thinking it was pronounced "SIN-eck-dohsh".

I had clue zero on this FJ! Reading it over and over, I didn't pick up on any keywords that nudged me any closer to the final response. Even now, I see literally nothing pointing to Betsy Ross at all.
BlueberryPlainsNever
Contributor

Post by BlueberryPlainsNever »

I knew who the Final Jeopardy was referring to, but I couldn't remember for the life of me what her name was. I ended up blurting out "flag lady" before the music ended.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

There was an audible gasp here, and I was watching alone.

I hope the two guys weren't regretting the joke responses now (if they knew the answer). It didn't matter, but it sure could have (when it shouldn't have).
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Yes, the FJ! clues could "dig a little deeper" while Anne Hutchinson has only one hit from 10 years ago. That one clue had her name included in the clue's wording. Asking for the name in the FJ! round of the Teen Tournament? None chance as way beyond the scope of what would be asked of the students. This is the tournament to KISS it to "keep it simple, silly."

I'll just mark myself for a "no" tomorrow after making this post and it will serve me right.
Students are a lot closer to this kind of detail that would have faded from memory for us older folks. So, while there are a lot of KISS clues, they don’t shy completely from some more esoteric questions, particularly math and science questions. Again, American history is fair game for the same kind of detail.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Maya - Four languages. Check. STEM aspirations. Check. Fast on the clicker. Check. Great with the CLAM. Check. Great game management and presence in the endgame to finish with the lock. Check. Succinct interview story. Check (just kidding, Claire).

So what the hell was that bet???? :lol:

Way to represent, ladies! Girls Rule, Boys Drool!!

Easy FJ for me, got it at upholsterer. NHO the Hutchinson lady being bandied around here. I'm surprised, but not surprised at easy misses like "caucus", and TS like (vomit in mouth) Ted Cruz.

As a wannabe bilingual Spanish speaker, ironically my first trip to Spain happened to be Barcelona. Yeah, Catalan, and they prided themselves on not knowing Castilian Spanish. Que lastima!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:10 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Students are a lot closer to this kind of detail that would have faded from memory for us older folks. So, while there are a lot of KISS clues, they don’t shy completely from some more esoteric questions, particularly math and science questions. Again, American history is fair game for the same kind of detail.
But Napoleon is just too inside baseball for these kids, right?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TWO Dr. Evil responses! Lay-Zer and Mag-Ma.

Final thought process: "American Revolution. She. Not a political TOM in sight. Betsy Ross."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 pm There was an audible gasp here, and I was watching alone.

I hope the two guys weren't regretting the joke responses now (if they knew the answer). It didn't matter, but it sure could have (when it shouldn't have).
I let out a big "NO!!!!!"
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i liked maya...well before what she did with final jeopardy...loved how she left off "the" when she responded with ukraine....most americans love putting "the" with the country name for some reason...but wagering on the final was fricking foolish and now i will be rooting against her
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:29 am Alex of course had to copy the teens with the pointed fingers for the introduction.

i was actually surprised the brady bunch was not a triple stumper
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

got final jeopardy correct due to only being able to name 1 woman from that era
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

My first thought was the wife of Ethan Allen, was able to suss it out in time.