Thursday, November 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, November 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by kprather895 »

The only explanation I can think of for her wager, and even this isn't a defense, is that she forgot she wasn't playing for cash.

Hopefully she recognized her mistake, and will be more careful in the final.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jack's last DD is one for Golf to talk about: he left $1,400 on the table, and would have been $200 off the lead for FJ if he'd gotten it.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

That fj bet is the third instance of hubris in this tournament.

When have contestants blown a lock game with an unnecessary wager?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Like the guys, I had no guess on this FJ. Congrats to Maya on being the sole get.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 pm That fj bet is the third instance of hubris in this tournament.

1. No it isn't
2. Never, as far as we know (assuming by "blown a lock game" you mean "lost a lock game")
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:23 am
floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 pm That fj bet is the third instance of hubris in this tournament.

1. No it isn't
2. Never, as far as we know (assuming by "blown a lock game" you mean "lost a lock game")
This might not count, but Day 1 of Keith Williams' College Championship final comes to mind. He had a lock heading into FJ but came in second. But it might not count since he won the tournament anyway, and since it's a tournament finals in which different strategies may be implemented.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

JayK33 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:46 am

1. No it isn't
This might not count, but Day 1 of Keith Williams' College Championship final comes to mind. He had a lock heading into FJ but came in second. But it might not count since he won the tournament anyway, and since it's a tournament finals in which different strategies may be implemented.
Yes, I think it is clearly obvious that nothing that happens in day 1 of a multi-day affair would or should be considered "lost a game".
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Yeah. Well I'm not sure if Celebrity Jeopardy should count either, but here's an example of that: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2549
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:39 pm i liked maya...well before what she did with final jeopardy...loved how she left off "the" when she responded with ukraine....most americans love putting "the" with the country name for some reason...but wagering on the final was fricking foolish and now i will be rooting against her
well...now...i...will...be...rooting...for...her...because...you...are...rooting...against...her
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 pm i was actually surprised the brady bunch was not a triple stumper
i am actually surprised you are surprised it was not a triple stumper
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." - Saul Berenson, My Dinner with Andre the Giant
I would prefer not to.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:18 am
JayK33 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:46 am

1. No it isn't
Yes, I think it is clearly obvious that nothing that happens in day 1 of a multi-day affair would or should be considered "lost a game".
Maybe "some" things could qualify as Claven-esque, like trying to double up from $25K against a couple of $5K players, but otherwise I find the first day of finals to be a drag. Do they still do compulsory figures in figure skating? Like that - very anti-climactic..

1) I'd rather see the finals games split in halves without sequestering the first day money so it could be parlayed in DD's on Day 2. It would keep comeback hopes alive, although it could easily feed runaways as well.
2) IMHO, they should play a knock-out format in finals where last place goes home on day one. They could either carry over the money or they don't, but if they do, it would make second place betting a lot tougher in some cases. Head to head buzzer battles might be more telegenic as well, especially compared to having an irrelevant third place player in the mix.

I thought of "hubris" in connection with the overbets as well, at least for the boy's bet. I think Maya just was clueless. I will accept my pedantic punishment for pretentious word abuse. I remember wasting 2 or 3 classroom hours just discussing that damn term in my required Lit class.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:27 pm
[Deleted for brevity].

But Napoleon is just too inside baseball for these kids, right?
Someone's been keeping track. But yes, I see a distinction between American History, that is typically taught to kids pretty early,* and European History, that probably doesn't come along until 9th or 10th grade, and the youngest competitors were still in 9th grade.

*Maybe there are regional differences but in New England, for example, we got colonial history early and often. And, from comments from Jack and Caleb on Reddit, Caleb got thrown off because he read the year as 1733, not 1773, and Jack admitted that he expected Maya to bet nothing so he didn't really put a lot of thought into it.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:28 pm I had clue zero on this FJ! Reading it over and over, I didn't pick up on any keywords that nudged me any closer to the final response. Even now, I see literally nothing pointing to Betsy Ross at all.
"Upholsterer." Not flag-making, but certainly a lot of overlap in skill-sets.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I was all-in on Maya until...erm.

Anyone else flash back to Trinidadian Amateur Ichthyologists (April 1, 1997)?

I got the Lach trash for Lincoln mainly because the concert band I was in in 1991 performed the Lincoln Portrait and that quote is in the narration. (We had William Warfield as the narrator, and he also sang Ol' Man River. It was pretty cool.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:39 pm i liked maya...well before what she did with final jeopardy...loved how she left off "the" when she responded with ukraine....most americans love putting "the" with the country name for some reason...but wagering on the final was fricking foolish and now i will be rooting against her
Ditto. I found SO MUCH to be impressed with about this young lady. Her poise and maturity seem way beyond her years. And clearly the way she plays the game is first rate. I was just stunned to see her risk throwing it all away with a wager that had absolutely no upside to it. It's not even as if she stood to go home with more money for having made the larger wager. If she wins with $1 or with $50,000 she still advances to the next round with a clean slate.

:o
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Only missing Abundance of Catherines and Ted Cruz)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rogue, 54-40, Abraham Lincoln, (Salmon), (Caucuses), Sycophant, The X-Files, Unethical
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:12 pm Yeah, did Maya just completely forget how the game is played?? It worked out but wow, that has to be one of the bigger near blunders we've seen in a while
I hope the first thing Alex said to her after the game was "you realize you don't get to keep the semifinal money, right?"

And I'm certainly not going to root against her due to that inexplicable wager. I think she's great.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 pm When have contestants blown a lock game with an unnecessary wager?
Maria Wenglinsky's 5th game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=595

2013 Kids Week Game 3: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4285

2012 Teen Tournament Final Game 2: www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3893
Douglas Squasoni
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

There's also Eric Newhouse's Clavin in the Teen Reunion preliminaries, but given the tournament format the move was justifiable (and paid off).

Here's another Clavin from a celebrity. (Both Jon Stewart and Eric Newhouse happen to have "round" contestant numbers in the J! Archive.)
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:06 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 pm When have contestants blown a lock game with an unnecessary wager?
Maria Wenglinsky's 5th game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=595

2013 Kids Week Game 3: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4285

2012 Teen Tournament Final Game 2: www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3893
None of those could be described as "blown" games. A win's a win. There are no style points in Jeopardy!
I would prefer not to.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Yeah, with my examples I was only trying to find games in which the lock leader ended up losing because of their wager. Besides celebrity and that College Championship final game, I'm not sure what I can think of.

Well, there were a couple lock-tie games where the leader lost because they wagered more than $0. Here's the best example from a game where ties were still allowed: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4044