Re: TD 404 - Not Found (Q9-Q10 and FINAL RESULTS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 404 - Not Found (Q9-Q10 and FINAL RESULTS)

Post by SenseiCAY »

Spoiler
MarkBarrett
Peachbox
casketromance
classicroadster
AFRET CMS

psgola
JayK33
Gamawire
Floridagator
econgator

threearruda
clt013
Enormous Jeans
xxaaaxx
spell4yr

oduguy22
morbeedo
RJ Rouge
9021amyers
guessonguessonguess

daddy dewdrop
merica
heppm01
Hello and welcome to TD 404.

I couldn't resist. The theme of this one is "Not Found."

Rules/Notes:
  1. Lowest point total wins; your score for each question is equal to the total number of players submitting that same answer.
  2. Pay attention to the first sentence in each question - it tells you what is required in your answer. Make sure you put all required information in your answer!
  3. Roosevelt Rule - In general, when your answer is a person's name, last name will be sufficient unless specifically mentioned, or when more information is required to distinguish your answer.
  4. You may use one DROP and take zero points for that question.
  5. You may use one SHEEP to take the sheep answer for that question.
  6. There will be a BONUS of (-4) for anyone who gives correct answers to all 10 questions, utilizing neither their drop nor their sheep options.
  7. Wrong responses (on Q1-Q10) are the higher of either +10 points or the "sheep" answer +3
  8. All answers are due by 10 AM ET on Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Thursday, November 29, 2018.
  9. Only the first submission per person is accepted; submit entries by PM or with this google form.
  10. No outside research or help is allowed. Only your brain and pen and paper if necessary.
Here we go!

Q1 - TV channel required. Name one of these TV channels you can no longer find:
  1. Either of the two channels (graded separately) that merged to form the CW (which still exists as of this game).
  2. A spinoff channel that featured shows like Guts, Figure it Out, and Wild & Crazy Kids.
  3. Time Warner brought together a major news network and a major sports periodical to create this 24-hour sports news channel which lasted from 1996 to 2002. Its international sports program, “World Sport,” is still airing.
  4. “The First Network for Men,” which rebranded as the Paramount Network in 2018.
  5. Launched in 1983 and focused on Southern lifestyle and country music, it relaunched in 2003 as the answer to letter D.
  6. Merged with the answer to G in 2011. Programs included “Namaste Yoga,” “The Gym,” “Blaine’s Low Carb Kitchen,” and “Gilad’s Bodies in Motion.”
  7. Merged with the answer to F in 2011. Programs included “National Body Challenge,” “Dr. G: Medical Examiner,” and episodes of CBS’s “Chicago Hope.” Won a Daytime Emmy for “Adoption Stories.”
  8. The result of the merger of F and G, which rebranded as [Parent company] Life in early 2015.
  9. The channel name redacted here: https://i.imgur.com/dpn8BXt.png. You could have foreseen its rebranding as the TV Guide Channel in 1998.
Q2 - Title and artist required. Lost = Not Found. Name one of these songs that mention losing things (note: the song title does NOT necessarily contain any form of the word “lost.”)

Q3 - Website required. 404 = Not Found. Name one of the websites below (company name is generally OK – “Amazon” would be accepted for “Amazon.com”) based on the 404 page/message.

Link if the pictures don't show above: https://imgur.com/a/hOKq6zD

Q4 - LETTER AND ANSWER REQUIRED. More about losing! Name the most recent (as of the time of this game) person or team to LOSE in the championship game/round/match for one of the following:
  1. World Series
  2. World Cup (Men’s or Women’s, graded separately)
  3. NBA Finals
  4. WNBA Finals
  5. Super Bowl
  6. World Chess Championship (Note: the open championship, not the Women’s championship; please disregard the championship match that is being played as this game was posted)
  7. Stanley Cup
  8. BCS Championship College football playoff final
  9. NCAA Basketball (Men’s or Women’s, graded separately)
Q5 - Name required. Let’s talk about people who were not found (for a while, at least). Name one of the famous fugitives or missing people below:
  • Better known for his alleged role in a different attack, he was placed on the FBI’s most wanted list for his connection to the bombings at US embassies in Tanzania and Kenya in 1998. He was killed in a raid in 2011.
  • A hijacker who, in 1971, performed the only unsolved case of air piracy in the history of commercial aviation.
  • Wanted for 19 murders in the 1970s and 1980s, he led an organized crime group in Boston. He was arrested in 2011 and died on October 30, 2018.
  • Her bones may have been found on Nikumaroro in 1940, but erroneously identified as having belonged to a male.
  • An elder within the Fundamentalist Mormon church, he was accused of arranging marriages between underage girls and older men, and caught outside Las Vegas in 2006.
  • He disappeared from a restaurant parking lot outside Detroit in 1975, and speculation as to the location of his remains include underneath the no-longer-existent Giants Stadium in New Jersey.
  • A security consultant and former con man, he has served time in prison in the U.S., France, and Sweden, and was the subject of a movie starring Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio.
  • The nickname of Joaquin Guzman, former leader of the Sinaloa drug cartel. He was arrested in 1993, escaped in 2001, re-arrested in 2014, escaped again in 2015, and re-arrested again in 2016.
  • The subject of a 2012 documentary, he is the leader of the Lord’s Resistance Army, known for abducting children as soldiers and sex slaves.
  • Captured in North Carolina in 2003, he was wanted for the bombing at Centennial Olympic Park in 1996, as well as several attacks on abortion clinics.
Q6 - Mythlogical creature required. Creatures not found - Name a type of non-human mythological creature. Specific names will be considered as entries for the general species (e.g. if humans were allowed, then “human,” “Hercules,” and “Sisyphus” would be graded as the same answer). If all of the following are true, then your answer will be considered correct:
- Your creature has never existed as a living being on Earth.
- Your creature possesses some non-human body parts.
- Your creature (or its “species”) has a Wikipedia entry (or I can easily find results for it when I Google it).
If any of the above aren't true, your entry might be subject to my judgment. You're free to plead your case along with your answer if you foresee any controversy.

Q7 - LETTER AND ANSWER REQUIRED. Leaders that did not found their companies. Select a letter below, corresponding to the current or most recent (as of the time of this game) leader (CEO, President, Dictator for Life, etc.) of a well-known company and the year they assumed the position. Name the person who founded the company. Co-founders will be graded separately.
  1. Satya Nadella (2014)
  2. Sundar Pichai (2015)
  3. Tim Cook (2011)
  4. Dara Khosrowshahi (2017)
  5. Marissa Mayer (2012; Company has rebranded with a different CEO)
  6. Bob Iger (2005)
  7. Jeff Zucker (2013)
Q8 - LETTER AND ANSWER REQUIRED. Artifacts not found – name one of the famous finds based on a description and the year it was found/mentioned:
  1. 1799 – French soldiers in Egypt discover a slab with a decree written in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, Egyptian demotic script, and ancient Greek.
  2. 1922 – Howard Carter discovers the burial chamber of a young ruler.
  3. 1974 – farmers near Xi’an discover a collection of figures intended to protect Qin Shi Huang in his afterlife.
  4. 1946 – looking for a stray goat, a Bedouin shepherd found the first of these in a cave near Qumran. More were later found in a series of caves in the area, including the texts of several Old Testament books.
  5. First mentioned in 1553 – these are a group of trenches in southern Peru, ranging from lines and basic shapes to pictures of birds, humans, fish, trees, and flowers.
  6. 1985 – Robert Ballard discovers the wreckage of a ship that sank in 1912 in the North Atlantic.
  7. 1989 – Robert Ballard discovers the wreckage of a ship that sank in 1941 in the North Atlantic.
  8. 1849 – found in Nineveh, the capital of Assyria and credited to Austen Henry Layard, this collection of tablets and texts from the 7th century BC included the Epic of Gilgamesh.
  9. 1700s – you usually see pictures of the heads, but it turns out, the statues have bodies too, and they’ve also been found.
Q9 - Answer only required. Singletons not found – the following are clues and answers that were left unused in previous TD games hosted by me:
  1. TD388 Q1 (Baltimore) - Who is this?

(Link if it doesn't display: https://i.imgur.com/YRKwaVp.png)
  2. TD388 Q10 (Before and after) - In an alternate ending, after moving to Seattle, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling sing a duet asking, “Are you shining just for me?”
  3. TD 361 Q4 (Sesame Street Parodies) – “A Cookie is a Sometimes Food” was a parody of what song (title and artist, please).
  4. TD 361 Q8 (Square-numbered athletes) – Name the athlete wearing number 64:

(Link if it doesn't display: https://imgur.com/a/ebiye)
  5. TD 364 Q9 (articles expanded in Merriam-Webster’s dictionary in 2017) – A medium-sized, multipurpose kitchen knife of Japanese origin with a lightweight blade and straight or slightly curved cutting edge and a spine that curves downward towards the tip. Starts with an “S.”
  6. TD369 Q7 (China/Korea) – While outside records indicate that he was born in the Soviet Union, the official biography of Kim Jong-Il states that he was born on what mountain on the border between China and North Korea?
  7. TD 374 Q1 (Cherries) – “Cherry snapper” is another name for what common fish?
  8. TD 380 Q7 (Crown logos) – Name the company (letter D is not part of the logo): https://i.imgur.com/OZn9mYd_d.jpg
  9. TD380 Q10 (May observances) – Memorial Day can fall on different dates each year. In general, on what day in May do we observe Memorial Day (e.g. we celebrate Mother’s Day on the second Sunday – your answer should be similar to that)?
Q10 - NUMBER AND ANSWER REQUIRED. The theme of this quiz was 404 - Not Found, which is what a server sends back to your browser when it can't find the page or resource that you requested. There are many other HTTP return codes. Thanks to monkeyuser.com, some are depicted here, with a toilet standing in as the server:

(Link if it doesn't show up: https://imgur.com/a/olwMGGw)

Select one of the return codes and match it to one of the meanings below:
  • Internal Server Error
  • Expectation Failed
  • Request Timeout
  • Use Proxy
  • Bad Request
  • I'm a Teapot
  • Gone
  • Temporary Redirect
  • Payload Too Large
  • Too Many Requests
  • Moved Permanently
BONUS: Give as many answers as you can for Q10. Score -1 point for every two correct answers (rounded down, up to a -5 bonus). The player with the most correct without a miss will get an additional bonus of -3. Second and third most will get -2 and -1, respectively. Tied players will all receive the better bonus.
Last edited by SenseiCAY on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 25 times in total.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 404 - Not Found

Post by SenseiCAY »

Pre-Thanksgiving bump - Only a couple of entries so far. Get 'em in before you fall asleep for the whole weekend.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 404 - Not Found (Q's Available)

Post by SenseiCAY »

Saturday bump. Jump on in!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving holiday!

Only 11 players so far, so there are lots of answers yet to be used. Get on in there before Wednesday!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Only 14 players with one day to go - get those entries in!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:39 am Only 14 players with one day to go - get those entries in!
That’s too low! Shameful!
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 am
SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:39 am Only 14 players with one day to go - get those entries in!
Unfortunately it's starting to look like a trend as 402 & 403 only had 17 entries each.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

clt013 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:38 am
Unfortunately it's starting to look like a trend as 402 & 403 only had 17 entries each.
I'm holding out hope, but regardless, maybe it'll revive with 405...FG always does some good ones.
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

Anybody else have a brief moment of panic when you submitted and the largest font on the screen said "404 - Not Found"?
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

RJRouge wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:38 pm Anybody else have a brief moment of panic when you submitted and the largest font on the screen said "404 - Not Found"?
:twisted:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:49 am
I'm holding out hope, but regardless, maybe it'll revive with 405...FG always does some good ones.
Well, I've missed the last few myself, but I'm back in it now

The Mini-TDs attracted 30-40 players, prob because they required less time and almost everyone could come up with an answer for every question
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Don't know if I should complain. I think it's the first time in two years I've had consecutive top-20 finishes.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I had exploratory brain surgery recently, but the doc said all he found was Code 404.

Should I be worried? :)
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Morning bump - we're at 20 players with a decent number of answers still left to be used. I'm going to extend the deadline until tomorrow morning, as I have a busy day ahead. Let's get some more folks in there!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Last bump - get 'em in. I'll close it this afternoon - got a busy morning ahead.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

when is the reveal?
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

I'll be revealing starting today and will aim for final results Wednesday afternoon. I apologize for the silence - I was away all weekend with spotty internet access.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 404 - Not Found (Q1-Q2 revealed)

Post by SenseiCAY »

Onto the reveal. Thanks, everyone for bearing with me. Your friendly host was out at PAX Unplugged this weekend, so I was...unplugged. Here we go!

Q1 - TV channel required. Name one of these TV channels you can no longer find:
  1. Either of the two channels (graded separately) that merged to form the CW (which still exists as of this game).
  2. A spinoff channel that featured shows like Guts, Figure it Out, and Wild & Crazy Kids.
  3. Time Warner brought together a major news network and a major sports periodical to create this 24-hour sports news channel which lasted from 1996 to 2002. Its international sports program, “World Sport,” is still airing.
  4. “The First Network for Men,” which rebranded as the Paramount Network in 2018.
  5. Launched in 1983 and focused on Southern lifestyle and country music, it relaunched in 2003 as the answer to letter D.
  6. Merged with the answer to G in 2011. Programs included “Namaste Yoga,” “The Gym,” “Blaine’s Low Carb Kitchen,” and “Gilad’s Bodies in Motion.”
  7. Merged with the answer to F in 2011. Programs included “National Body Challenge,” “Dr. G: Medical Examiner,” and episodes of CBS’s “Chicago Hope.” Won a Daytime Emmy for “Adoption Stories.”
  8. The result of the merger of F and G, which rebranded as [Parent company] Life in early 2015.
  9. The channel name redacted here: https://i.imgur.com/dpn8BXt.png. You could have foreseen its rebranding as the TV Guide Channel in 1998.
WRONG (+10)
---------------
(None)

SHEEP (+7)
---------------
heppm01

D - Spike TV - 7
---------------
JayK33
morbeedo
AFRET CMS
Gamawire
spell4yr
threearruda
econgator

A - UPN - 5
---------------
Floridagator
oduguy22
classicroadster
casketromance
xxaaaxx

C - CNN/SI - 3
---------------
Peachbox
clt013
psgola

E - TNN - 3
---------------
merica
MarkBarrett
guessonguessonguess

B - Nick Games and Sports (GaS) - 2
---------------
RJ Rouge
9021amyers

SINGLETONS
---------------
A - The WB - Enormous Jeans

DROP
---------------
daddy dewdrop

UNUSED
---------------
I - Prevue
H - Discovery Health and Fit
G - Discovery Health
F - Fit TV

The F-G-H trio went unused, and no one remembered (or chose to remember) the predecessor to the TV Guide Channel. Nonetheless, no wrong answers, but a solid sheep and some good scores.

16. heppm01 [d] - 7
16. AFRET CMS [d][s] - 7
16. Gamawire [d][s] - 7
16. JayK33 [d][s] - 7
16. econgator [d][s] - 7
16. morbeedo [d][s] - 7
16. spell4yr [d][s] - 7
16. threearruda [d][s] - 7
11. Floridagator [d][s] - 5
11. casketromance [d][s] - 5
11. classicroadster [d][s] - 5
11. oduguy22 [d][s] - 5
11. xxaaaxx [d][s] - 5
5. MarkBarrett [d][s] - 3
5. Peachbox [d][s] - 3
5. clt013 [d][s] - 3
5. guessonguessonguess [d][s] - 3
5. merica [d][s] - 3
5. psgola [d][s] - 3
3. 9021amyers [d][s] - 2
3. RJ Rouge [d][s] - 2
2. Enormous Jeans [d][s] - 1
1. daddy dewdrop [s] - 0
floridagator

Re: TD 404 - Not Found (Closed - reveal around noon)

Post by floridagator »

Fork. I knew most of those. I went with UPN because I figured it was the lesser-known of the WB/UPN merger.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 404 - Not Found (Q1-Q2 revealed)

Post by SenseiCAY »

Q2 - Title and artist required. Lost = Not Found. Name one of these songs that mention losing things (note: the song title does NOT necessarily contain any form of the word “lost.”)

As a side note, I didn't require letters for most of the questions on this quiz - they're only there to match up to the answers:

WRONG (+10)
---------------
econgator (F. Linda Ronstadt -- Poor Poor Pitiful Me (Warren Zevon's version is better) - wrong artist)
spell4yr (f. Poor, Poor Pitiful Me - no artist)

SHEEP (+5)
---------------
merica

E - Linkin Park - In the End - 5
---------------
9021amyers
clt013
JayK33
xxaaaxx
psgola

F - Terri Clark - Poor Poor Pitiful Me - 5
---------------