Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

Spoiler
I decided to Google "zill" while Jamie was still deliberating, and I learned that the word comes from the Turkish word for cymbal, and I immediately thought of Zildjian, which is a cymbal manufacturer founded in what is now Turkey. I wish I had been able to think of that.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

Spoiler

Shiva's $250k: I thought the Super Bowl made too much sense. Couldn't imagine being day before Thanksgiving, and Halloween doesn't make much sense either. Must be New Year's Eve, I guess?

I also thought of Zildijan on Jamie's $50k, but that fact is also closer to mind because I used to play the drums. Whatever works!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Instaget on Zills. Seen that word on J!Archive multiple times. :D

It worried me when he originally thought that the Dude was Jeff Daniels. It goes to show you that you should never go to quickly on a question when there is plenty of time available.
Douglas Squasoni
Robbo
Contributor

Post by Robbo »

The pizza delivery question was just bad. If you do a quick search on top pizza delivery days - you get a wide range of answers. I saw lists that were still calling Super Bowl Sunday as number one. Another listed Halloween. Not fair to have to know what one particular source says.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I like how Shiva got to say "psychotically insane" on national TV. I'm still bummed that the editors cut my line about the Senate being mostly "old white guys"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robbo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am The pizza delivery question was just bad. If you do a quick search on top pizza delivery days - you get a wide range of answers. I saw lists that were still calling Super Bowl Sunday as number one. Another listed Halloween. Not fair to have to know what one particular source says.
$100k and up questions tend to be very specific and not very 'fair' because of that aspect.

FTR, I went with Super Bowl Sunday as well, but I had a sneaking suspicion it was a red herring thrown in there. It just sounded too easy for $250k. And then the 80% ATA would actually have given me even more pause. The EV on the $250k question is 0 for a random guess, so I probably would have had enough confidence to take the guess like he did. But who knows when you're actually up there.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:32 am
Robbo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am The pizza delivery question was just bad. If you do a quick search on top pizza delivery days - you get a wide range of answers. I saw lists that were still calling Super Bowl Sunday as number one. Another listed Halloween. Not fair to have to know what one particular source says.
$100k and up questions tend to be very specific and not very 'fair' because of that aspect.

FTR, I went with Super Bowl Sunday as well, but I had a sneaking suspicion it was a red herring thrown in there. It just sounded too easy for $250k. And then the 80% ATA would actually have given me even more pause. The EV on the $250k question is 0 for a random guess, so I probably would have had enough confidence to take the guess like he did. But who knows when you're actually up there.
My 14-year old son said Super Bowl Sunday before even seeing the answers. We both agreed that it was a bit too obvious for the $250K question but I doubt that I would have chosen NYE.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

I worked at Domino's ten years ago, and would have absolutely gone with Super Bowl. There were two days out of the year where everybody was scheduled: Super Bowl Sunday, and Halloween. We didn't do crap on New Year's Eve.

Our store was servicing the University of Washington and the surrounding neighborhood, so the seasonality probably skewed our numbers.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Tuesday
Spoiler
Jamie went for the $100K question with gusto, but I saw the flashing red lights as he went spinning towards the wrong answer. He didn’t really take time to consider the other logical choice, which brings me back to Sesame Street, oh never mind

Katherine’s getting relatively easy questions. Nice course correct on the meditation question, but yikes, that was close and she’ll never get that lifeline back! Good luck on the $50K- have to wait til tomorrow and see how that plays out
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:58 pm Tuesday
Spoiler
Jamie went for the $100K question with gusto, but I saw the flashing red lights as he went spinning towards the wrong answer. He didn’t really take time to consider the other logical choice, which brings me back to Sesame Street, oh never mind

Katherine’s getting relatively easy questions. Nice course correct on the meditation question, but yikes, that was close and she’ll never get that lifeline back! Good luck on the $50K- have to wait til tomorrow and see how that plays out
Spoiler
No amount of my shouting got him off that answer. I didn't need the answers brought up; I knew that hurricanes can't cross the equator. Besides, wasn't his choice counter-clockwise? They ALL spin counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere.

Yeah, that medication/meditation question almost threw her. That's why they tell you in the Green Room to read the question carefully. And then how was missing Connecticut and throwing in non-New England states ...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Wednesday
Spoiler
Nice to see the med student go for it on the kidney transplant. My instinct was right again on the $100K question, but like the player, history is not my forte

The $10K mythology question threw me at first- thought I was looking for a Roman god/goddess in the Greek mix, but then I realized Adonis wouldn’t be important enough to make the Olympus 12, though I wouldn’t kick him out of bed for eating crackers

Nice to see the Thousandaire contestant course correct and walk out with 10 bills
henrix77

Post by henrix77 »

This was the EXACT situation that nailed me on my 50k question. What country is safest, according to the one specific study they referenced. I had seen a study prior to tape day that said Switzerland (wasn't even one of my 4 choices). After taping, I found 2 other studies listing different answers. But alas, I (and Alex Jacob) said New Zealand.

Damn you, Iceland.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Just remarking on the first contestant...
morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:10 pm Wednesday
Spoiler
Nice to see the med student go for it on the kidney transplant. My instinct was right again on the $100K question, but like the player, history is not my forte
Spoiler
My instinct was correct too, but I realized just as she locked in her answer that "reportedly" in the question could be a clue unto itself. He lived less than 200 years ago; surely he was photographed or we at least know where he's buried, so one-armèdness seems like something that they wouldn't need a weasel word like "reportedly" for if it were true of him. Same with a beard; despite a measurement being mentioned, I think if his being photographed is plausible, we can be definitive about beard length. That leaves the two body measurements, which I think would have to be estimated even with extant photographs of him, and diminutive stature feels more likely than morbid obesity.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 pm Just remarking on the first contestant...
morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:10 pm Wednesday
Spoiler
Spoiler
My instinct was correct too, but I realized just as she locked in her answer that "reportedly" in the question could be a clue unto itself. He lived less than 200 years ago; surely he was photographed or we at least know where he's buried, so one-armèdness seems like something that they wouldn't need a weasel word like "reportedly" for if it were true of him. Same with a beard; despite a measurement being mentioned, I think if his being photographed is plausible, we can be definitive about beard length. That leaves the two body measurements, which I think would have to be estimated even with extant photographs of him, and diminutive stature feels more likely than morbid obesity.
This game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3534 had a category
Spoiler
LIFE IS SHORT that did not use a "weasel word" for the guy.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Okay, so today's episode was the first taping group from my tape date. Adam, going first was actually a holdover from the previous day's contestants, while John Dale was the first one from my group. I love John Dale and his mother, but I heard from my friends in the audience that Adam was a bit of a jerk.

Anyways...

Spoiler
My wife in the audience said Adam was going on and on and on and they actually cut most of his overacting and hamming it up. According to her, the audience was a bit fed up with him, and Chris would continuously be asking for a final answer.

On the "Best Picture Winner" question, it looks like one member of the audience is giving Adam 2 middle fingers. Can someone find it?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:11 pm Okay, so today's episode was the first taping group from my tape date. Adam, going first was actually a holdover from the previous day's contestants, while John Dale was the first one from my group. I love John Dale and his mother, but I heard from my friends in the audience that Adam was a bit of a jerk.

Anyways...

Spoiler
My wife in the audience said Adam was going on and on and on and they actually cut most of his overacting and hamming it up. According to her, the audience was a bit fed up with him, and Chris would continuously be asking for a final answer.

On the "Best Picture Winner" question, it looks like one member of the audience is giving Adam 2 middle fingers. Can someone find it?
It's right before he locks in his final answer:
Spoiler

1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:32 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:11 pm Okay, so today's episode was the first taping group from my tape date. Adam, going first was actually a holdover from the previous day's contestants, while John Dale was the first one from my group. I love John Dale and his mother, but I heard from my friends in the audience that Adam was a bit of a jerk.

Anyways...

Spoiler

It's right before he locks in his final answer:
Spoiler

Thanks. That's great!
Now swimming in the J! pool.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Adam definitely rubbed me the wrong way, it's nice to see at least someone else agreed! Nice catch, and many thanks for the insights, 1stlvlthinker. Chris' comments were awesome during all of that..
Spoiler
"felt like I was on the Titanic... and didn't make it". :lol:

A long time ago on an episode of iCarly, mochi ice cream was mentioned. The fact that it sounded somewhat like "gochisou" was good enough for me on his $30k.
ETA: Spoiler-ed just in case.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Interesting comments about Adam. What I noted was his repeated “go with my gut” comments, which eventually caught up with him.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Adam: "I've never heard of Niccolo Paganini."

Me: ...
Douglas Squasoni