Tuesday, November 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICANA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It’s the official fruit of the District of Columbia

Emma Arnold: 6800-6800=0 + 19000 = 19000 = $50,000
Claire Sattler: 16400-0=16400 + 21800 = 38200 = $100,000
Maya Wright: 10400-7800=2600 + 7800 = 10400 = $25,000

Correct response:
Spoiler
cherry (Emma – That was fun) (Claire – apple idk! I [heart] U all! Thank you so much!) (Maya – apple)

Daily Doubles
Maya: 2600+1000
Claire: 6800-2000
Claire: 7600+2000

Coryats
Emma: 6800
Claire: 18400
Maya: 10200

Combined: 35,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emma: 1200
Claire: 5600
Maya: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex: Girls [X]
Alex: Young ladies [X]
Checklist complete

You never know what kind of brain teaser will stump the players. Last federal holiday of the year? Crickets.

That was funny when Maya’s incorrect FJ! response from yesterday got her both a -$2000 from Claire and a +$2000 for herself.

Strange FJ! clue to complete a tourney being so short and yet so troublesome. I did not get the impression any of them knew it and instead it was just one of those things where a tempting distractor was too inviting.

9/10 for me in the tournament and that’s fine by me as I have had worse results over 10 teen games.

Back to regular play tomorrow.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

9/10 FJs for me too. Cherry makes sense in retrospect. Went Washington apple, which does not make sense in retrospect.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I'm surprised by how many of these Teen Tournament FJs I got wrong. I thought it was my chance to have a good streak going. :(

I also went with apple on this one. Even with George Washington and the tree coming to mind. What kind of tree? Well I couldn't remember that it wasn't an apple tree.

Congratulations to Claire on being the winner! I was rooting for Emma but I would have been fine with any of the three finalists winning.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 am Alex: Girls [X]
Alex: Young ladies [X]
Checklist complete

You never know what kind of brain teaser will stump the players. Last federal holiday of the year? Crickets.

That was funny when Maya’s incorrect FJ! response from yesterday got her both a -$2000 from Claire and a +$2000 for herself.

Strange FJ! clue to complete a tourney being so short and yet so troublesome. I did not get the impression any of them knew it and instead it was just one of those things where a tempting distractor was too inviting.

9/10 for me in the tournament and that’s fine by me as I have had worse results over 10 teen games.

Back to regular play tomorrow.
Maybe I know the Animaniacs' Presidents song too well but they reference the Parson Weems (humph) story in their reference to the first President, so I wasn't going astray on this Final.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Disappointed that Claire didn't take the opportunity to sing "Won't you be my neighbor?"
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

I'm surprised FJ was a Triple Stumper. All you had to do was connect George Washington to a fruit and know that he (supposedly) chopped down a cherry tree.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

bigblue999 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:06 pm I'm surprised FJ was a Triple Stumper. All you had to do was connect George Washington to a fruit and know that he (supposedly) chopped down a cherry tree.
I don't think it's a surprising TS at all. DC is a lot more than George Washington. And, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the old chestnut about little George chopping down a tree. Instead, it's apparently related to the cherry trees gifted by Japan in the early 20th century. And, the cherry has only been the official fruit since 2006. So, despite having lived in DC - and having family there for many years - apple was my guess as well because of apple pie being associated with the US - along with baseball.

(And, it's not like cherries are a crop in DC).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How was Christmas a stand and stare? And Teddy Roosevelt?

I found DJ! extremely difficult, especially "What Killed Me".

KILIMANJARO IS NOT IN JAPAN DAMN IT WHY CAN'T I EVER REMEMBER THAT ASDFASDFSKDFJKLF

NHO "rail" in an anger context.

I usually think that Americana is a wheelhouse for me, but every time it comes up as a J! category, it bites me in the butt. Today was no exception. I had no idea where to even begin on this one. There's no TOM at all. What an awful BS clue.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

The show hasn't aired here yet, but I'm reading anyway because BuzzerBlog spoiled the result on their Facebook page. If you follow them, I strongly recommend unfollowing.

Congrats to all three players on a sensational tournament all the way through! And congrats to Claire for taking it down.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What a great tournament! I had a soft spot for Emma and of course liked Maya as well. But I think this is the right result and reflects their true rankings. The delightful Claire had a bit of an edge over them both and Emma was slightly better than Maya. I'm delighted for the three of them.

I'll be checking the box that says I got Thoreau and Emerson correct in their respective clues.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Thought Emma would find another gear in DJ as she has done previously, but many congrats to Claire for dominating today's game and winning the tourney! The last two weeks have been fun, but I'm really looking forward to Mary Ann's return to the champ's podium tomorrow.

10/10 in FJ the last two weeks -- mentally ran through apple, banana and a bunch of berries before connecting on cherry about 15 seconds in. I'm glad to hear that others better than I struggled with this one too.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yes, I think that this was one of the best-played and most competitive Teen Tournaments I can recall. Claire certainly put on a performance worthy of the win, but Maya and Emma played really well too. In the end, FJ was the discrimination factor. Claire’s bet IV zero today was wise indeed. Kudos to them all!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

We have a fruit? Um, OK, cherry I guess. The irony is that Japanese cherry blossom trees don't produce ... cherries. At least the edible kind.

Very entertaining tourney. Congrats to Claire on the win, and to all of them for some well-played games.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This was instaget for me because of the Cherry Blossom Festival and the story of the Japanese gift. I couldn't think of any ironic choices (like lemon or sour grapes) to go with the D.C. license plate motto (Taxation without Representation). I didn't even consider the fake news George Washington story. I will take the over in the poll at 105%, the same as the Chiefs/Rams game last night :cry: .

I think the best player and by a slight edge the most knowledgeable player won. BTW for non-golfing boardies - about Claire's golf game: She reported being an 8 handicap, which is the top 3.5% of female golfers - comparable to a mens 2-handicap. Average female is 26, and if Alex made it to an 18, that is 73% of men.

That slip of the witch question got me - houses fall on witches all the time around here.

Congrats to all 3. Can you come back and delight us again next month?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:35 pm What a great tournament! I had a soft spot for Emma and of course liked Maya as well. But I think this is the right result and reflects their true rankings. The delightful Claire had a bit of an edge over them both and Emma was slightly better than Maya. I'm delighted for the three of them.

I'll be checking the box that says I got Thoreau and Emerson correct in their respective clues.
What he said.

I've been wrong with Emerson in FJ! several times over the years, but it's finally sunk in that FJ! strongly favors Thoreau. In fact, the six archive references to Emerson in FJ! were all as incorrect responses! Four were for Thoreau, one Longfellow, one Twain. (Also see volante's comment in yesterday's thread.)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I disliked all the extraneous talk in this game.

Poor Emma! She seemed to lose her edge when she got the constitutional amendment question wrong.

I didn't know what the dc fruit is. I tackled FJ by noticing what they didn't say: They didn't use the word Washington in the clue. That led me to George Washington and the cherry tree, and then I thought that the Japanese cherry trees confirmed it. I then mentally ran through some other fruits that made no sense.

Hell, the only state fruit I know for certain is Massachusetts.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:43 pmThey didn't use the word Washington in the clue. That led me to George Washington and the cherry tree
And Washington begins with a W, which is the 23rd letter of the alphabet, something something 23 enigma something something Topsy Kretts!