Tuesday, November 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

All I could think of was GW throwing an apple across the Potomac. Oh yeah, that was a silver dollar. Oh well.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Code: Select all

Emma:   19000  6800 25800 32600
Claire: 21800 16400 38200 54600
Maya:    7800 10400 18200 28600
Claire: Bet less than $5,600, and enjoy your victory.
Emma: Bet $2,801 to cover Maya.
Maya: Claire has a lock, Emma has you crushed, and you have to get FJ right to clear her day 1 score. Bet everything for a shot at second place.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It's all the same since she missed FJ, but since Maya stood to clear the minimum guarantee, she might as well have bet it all. I think she was just trying to clear Emma if the latter bet $0.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:01 am All I could think of was GW throwing an apple across the Potomac. Oh yeah, that was a silver dollar. Oh well.
And it may not have been a silver dollar after all, as those technically didn't exist until 1794.
アタックチャンス!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Gnu, Christmas, United States, Marathon, 27th, Cretaceous, Dude Ranch, Theodore Roosevelt, Arrow, (Henry), Poison, Hit by a Train

So sad that the Teen Tournament is over. I'm going to miss all of these participants. :cry:
Douglas Squasoni
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

What a great tournament and final. Congrats to all especially the three finalists, so impressive! Their composure, personalities and knowledge was something to behold. It's heartening to watch young enthusiastic contestants play the game as well as they did.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 am
Maybe I know the Animaniacs' Presidents song too well but they reference the Parson Weems (humph) story in their reference to the first President, so I wasn't going astray on this Final.
The Parson Weems story never occurred to me. I just thought of the omnipresent cherry trees in DC and figured WECIB?

Congrats to a very worthy champ and to all the teens who acquitted themselves so admirably the past two weeks.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm surprised Dave Barry didn't find a way to mention Parson Weems in Dave Barry Slept Here. That's a definite Hawley-Smoot name.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Really couldn't think of any fruit associated with DC other than cherries.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

This will probably never be read because the Teen Tournament ended about a week ago and I watched it on DVR just now...but I was rooting for Claire all the way!!! I think she is fabulous!!! I thought her conservative wagering in the Day 1 Final Jeopardy! and in the Daily Doubles might come back to haunt her, but it worked out in the end for her. All of the finalists were most impressive in so many ways!!! In addition to being very smart, good at golf, good at Jeopardy! and having unusual poise, I thought Claire was really beautiful. I didn't realize until her parents came onstage at the end that she's half-Chinese! (I think! Or some other Asian culture.) Congratulations, Claire!!! Congratulations to Emma and Maya for making the final, too!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:37 am This will probably never be read because the Teen Tournament ended about a week ago and I watched it on DVR just now...but I was rooting for Claire all the way!!! I think she is fabulous!!! I thought her conservative wagering in the Day 1 Final Jeopardy! and in the Daily Doubles might come back to haunt her, but it worked out in the end for her. All of the finalists were most impressive in so many ways!!! In addition to being very smart, good at golf, good at Jeopardy! and having unusual poise, I thought Claire was really beautiful. I didn't realize until her parents came onstage at the end that she's half-Chinese! (I think! Or some other Asian culture.) Congratulations, Claire!!! Congratulations to Emma and Maya for making the final, too!
Are you confusing Emma's parents? I don't quite remember Claire's mom, but Dad looked like a possible golf mentor (whatever that means).

Claire's handicap of 8 is equivalent to a male at almost scratch. But I wonder if this is a 9-hole handicap that is used for high school competitions and scoring? If she is really an 8, that is the top 3%, and very precocious for a high schooler.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

Hey twelvefootboy! At the risk of appearing excessively interested....I'm pretty sure Claire is half-Asian. It never occurred to me throughout the tournament until after the last game, when I saw her dad come up onstage, then I said to myself, oh, now that I think about it, she does kind of look like she could be mixed! I think Emma is half-Asian too! (On her mom's side.) I always feel a little stupid when I don't realize it upon first meeting or seeing someone and figure it out later.

Well, she IS captain of her high school's women's golf team and as you can see (3rd video), she has uploaded a YouTube video showing off her golf skills, I think she is interested in being recruited to be a scholarship athlete in college

Here is a YouTube video of the last day of the tournament, you can skip to a few seconds before the end to see the players with their families.

Here is one more YouTube video from Jeopardy! 2018 Teen Tournament Finals Recap

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:38 pm Hey twelvefootboy! At the risk of appearing excessively interested....I'm pretty sure Claire is half-Asian. It never occurred to me throughout the tournament until after the last game, when I saw her dad come up onstage, then I said to myself, oh, now that I think about it, she does kind of look like she could be mixed! I think Emma is half-Asian too! (On her mom's side.) I always feel a little stupid when I don't realize it upon first meeting or seeing someone and figure it out later.

Well, she IS captain of her high school's women's golf team and as you can see (3rd video), she has uploaded a YouTube video showing off her golf skills, I think she is interested in being recruited to be a scholarship athlete in college

Here is a YouTube video of the last day of the tournament, you can skip to a few seconds before the end to see the players with their families.

Here is one more YouTube video from Jeopardy! 2018 Teen Tournament Finals Recap

Yeah, better watch that excessive googling before the restraining orders arrive :).

I only meant to call her low handicap out to non-golfing boardies who may not realize that 8 is a very low female handicap, close to a scratch golfer male equivalent. She walks the walk and talks the talk - great for her! My ignorance showed through when I thought it could be a 9 hole basis - I once played in a company league where they did it that way.

I am terrible at faces and family resemblances, and learned long ago not to postulate on things like that. (Right after the lesson not to ask a newly-met female when the baby is due, or in some cases whether to say Sir, or M'am). And, terrible at ethnicities - the only thing I know is that strangers think I look like a tired white guy :lol: .

Fantastic young lady and I would think she can get a golf scholarship, but it is a funny game, there are people out there who can play and bring it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.