Thursday, November 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Euphonium

Re: Thursday, November 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium »

In-game thoughts and observations:

Ugh this is going to be a bad board for me. $2200 Coryat at the first break.

David's style kind of reminds me of Jon Hamm's character in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Terrie's interview reminded me of my favorite McSweeney's post ever.

BARRY I MISS YOU!

The Marie Curie clue almost needed to have the text displayed with it, because what they were actually asking for was in the middle of that whole spiel. But I am morally opposed to video clues (except for image-recognition) as a matter of general principle anyway.

Sarajevo is massive negbait (anyone remember Zlata's Diary?) until you remember that the Bosnian civil war was earlier in the decade.

How is "Marxian struggle" not an instaget for "class"?

Ditto for Pahlavi->Iran?

Coryat: $34,200

J: 16/30. Tough board for me. Got the DD, though. No wrong answers, so there's that--just no answer at all for clues in a lot of categories that I knew nothing about. 1/5 in Billboard Charts (Weezer's cover of "Africa"...I was poking about for any singers I had heard of who had the same name as famous admirals for the $1000 clue, and Halsey crossed my mind but I wasn't confident enough that I had heard of any musician by that name to commit to it) and Un-Business (lipstick, never heard of the company but lipstick was a reasonable guess for tubes of cosmetic that got lucky), 2/5 in Agatha Christie (sorry, Dad!). Ran Nobel Prize Winners and 4/5 in Give a Little Whistle. Would have been 4/5 in Hawaiian--"Kahuna" was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't get it out in time.

DJ: 23/27, both DDs. Negged on Ozzie & Harriet (like an idiot, I said "Swiss Family Robinson," forgetting until too late that that was a movie, not a television show (though later, looking on Wikipedia, it looks like there were a couple of short-lived series in the 1970s, one in Canada and one in the US?). Ran Old Testament and Social Science, 4/5 in television and '99 Problems (I don't know my pirates, so I kept quiet on that one), and got all 3 of the revealed clues in dams and 2/4 in All Encompassing Words.

FJ: Correct. This one was an instaget.

LT: Belgrade, Assyria, class struggle, Iran

Mary Ann pulled out another one, though Terrie was loving the dams category and if there had been time for the other two clues she would at least have made FJ interesting (though in the end she got it wrong and Mary Ann was right). Assuming she doesn't slip up in the next game, I still say she's my favorite so far to win the next ToC.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:35 am "E.T." is certainly not the first movie in which the "monster" was sympathetic, and we feel its fear when it is pursued. That's exactly a monster-movie trope.
That's a good point. I think it fits with my observation about the US flag being a symbol of menace. E.T. works as a monster movie where the monster is man.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:22 pm btw, here's the essay from which the clue is lifted. I almost wish they'd used the sentence that comes before...
...a cross between The Thing and National Velvet... :lol:

https://books.google.com/books?id=v43dJ ... 22&f=false
Now THERE'S a quotable line. I love it!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:09 am
John Boy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:57 am For the same reason I first went to Ghostbusters, which at least had some scary-ish characters. Then I thought about the "dry eye" part of the clue and settled on ET which did not include anything scary. Questionable review of the movie made for a questionable clue. But I'll take it.
Yeah, for Ghostbusters it's more like not a dry seat.

I really think people who say E.T. had nothing scary just aren't remembering it. Or maybe it's different if you only saw it on a small screen. On a huge screen, with Dolby surround sound, several parts near the beginning are scary. The ship landing and departing. The faceless men stomping through the woods. Elliot going toward the shed to investigate the noise. You just don't know what might jump out of the shadows. Unless you've been spoiled. Then maybe you miss the whole point of those early scenes.

And as pointed out above (by a poster whose name I'm too lazy to look up and cite), the scenes with the government officials are pretty scary--though maybe not in a monster movie way. That's especially true in the original before the guns were replaced by walkie-talkies. Sheesh. I remember the way the American flag became a threatening, menacing symbol. You couldn't get away with that today, not without an Internet firestorm anyway. Maybe Spielberg should edit those scenes too. :roll:
My first thoughts took 'monster movie' too literally: Poltergeist, Gremlins. Then I keyed in on tearjerker and sci-fi and, oh: pure Spielberg (not once removed Spielberg). Pretty cruel clue if you can't make the right jump early enough, though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Looks like I've been doing the Vulcan hand sign wrong all these years - no trekkie here.

I was surprised the Obama chair is in Stockholm. The Peace Prize is awarded in Norway and there is a Nobel Peace Prize Museum on the waterfront in Oslo.

I went with Alien on FJ! as well. :(
OCSam