Monday, November 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, November 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by periwinkle »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:13 am I'd be happy to see any of these three win. Too bad Maya got FJ wrong, but hopefully she can climb back into contention.
Yes, all three of these young women are terrific and very impressive! I'm rooting for Maya, but any of them would be a great and well-deserved champion.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:06 am For those of you who "can't get past Emma's voice", or that her voice is like "fingernails on a chalkboard," you do realize that she has a speech defect, don't you?
I realize that "defect" in this context isn't necessarily derogatory, but it's also not a word that should be thrown around. Sometimes it's not because of any physiological abnormality, but just because that's her voice. Just like all short people don't have dwarfism, some are just short.

In either case, of course, it's incredibly shitty to complain about it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Point taken. I have deleted the offending post (Mods: I couldn't find an actual Delete function, but feel free to nuke it). FTR, I am very impressed by the play of all three players.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Only missing Kia, Carrot, and Tyler Posey)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: *1900*, Sarajevo
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

LucarioSnooperVixey, what the hell is your secret? You seem to get at least 55 right every day.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:10 pm LucarioSnooperVixey, what the hell is your secret? You seem to get at least 55 right every day.
LucarioSnooperVixey's avatar has a more positive attitude than yours. It makes a difference.

My avatar, of course, has more ice cream than both of yours put together. I stand by my choice.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:06 am For those of you who "can't get past Emma's voice", or that her voice is like "fingernails on a chalkboard," you do realize that she has a speech defect, don't you? Most probably due to something physical like maybe she was a preemie or she has had jaw surgery to correct something. It's definitely something of a disability. It's like saying you can't get past a blind contestant or one in a wheelchair. :cry:
I know I haven't read every post in the tournament but I had not heard anything about this until right now. Just as well.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

It's never Emerson. http://j-archive.com/collectedfinals.php
(Okay, once, but that one isn't in an archived game so it doesn't count. :lol: )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:05 pm Point taken. I have deleted the offending post (Mods: I couldn't find an actual Delete function, but feel free to nuke it). FTR, I am very impressed by the play of all three players.
As another poster has said - I have doubts that this is anything but a natural voice. The pitch is just fine, even some males have helium voices. Remember that Olympic gymnast a few years ago (citation needed, sorry) with the Minnie Mouse voice? Some females have "whiskey" voices - it's OK to notice imho. I have an accent/impediment which makes me channel Jimmy Carter and I am quite comfortable having to spell my name (meares) with strangers on the phone. West Coast strangers think I am from Australia, east coast people think I'm from Alabama, and southerners think I'm from Joisey.

Of course nobody recognizes the actual sound of their voice (imagine the first recording and playback chaos), but generally overweight people know they are overweight and people know if they have a shrill voice, or if they have herring breath for that matter (ice cream doesn't mask it, especially sardine surprise flavor).

I looked forward to hearing her speech with her delivery style and the breathy voice, and furthermore, I have never understood the word "potato" so clearly! :lol: Now I sound patronizing. Dammit! A fantastic group of youngsters!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 am Of course nobody recognizes the actual sound of their voice (imagine the first recording and playback chaos), but generally overweight people know they are overweight and people know if they have a shrill voice, or if they have herring breath for that matter (ice cream doesn't mask it, especially sardine surprise flavor).
Heh heh. Imagine the poor sods who have herring breath and don't even know it. I'd hate to be one of those guys.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:52 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 am Of course nobody recognizes the actual sound of their voice (imagine the first recording and playback chaos), but generally overweight people know they are overweight and people know if they have a shrill voice, or if they have herring breath for that matter (ice cream doesn't mask it, especially sardine surprise flavor).
Heh heh. Imagine the poor sods who have herring breath and don't even know it. I'd hate to be one of those guys.
I thought I both looked and sounded like the lead singer of Rascal Fats... I mean, Rascal Flatts when I was on Wheel, but everyone else said I looked fine.
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

(My affiliate is on a one-day delay because of football...)

I'm a little surprised to see no objections to the reversal on the Y2K clue -- 00 isn't a year, which is what the clue explicitly asked for. At best, maybe you could argue that she should have been prompted to be more specific if her response could be interpreted as '00, but to credit her with a correct response seems a little too lenient by this show's strict standards.

Actually, what is the standard operating procedure if it's later ruled that a response that was ruled incorrect should instead have been prompted to be more specific?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MSTieScott wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:20 pm (My affiliate is on a one-day delay because of football...)

I'm a little surprised to see no objections to the reversal on the Y2K clue -- 00 isn't a year, which is what the clue explicitly asked for. At best, maybe you could argue that she should have been prompted to be more specific if her response could be interpreted as '00, but to credit her with a correct response seems a little too lenient by this show's strict standards.

Actually, what is the standard operating procedure if it's later ruled that a response that was ruled incorrect should instead have been prompted to be more specific?
I wasn't surprised about any part of that '00' reversal. Technically, in the code, the 'year' is represented as "00" because only two characters were reserved. It was simply displayed as concat("19",$year), but that's somewhat inside baseball to leave as an alternate response.

As far as the SOP question, we'd never know. Only if TPTB determine the 'less specific' answer was sufficient, they reverse the damage. "BMS" is an Alex guideline, not a rule.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 am As another poster has said - I have doubts that this is anything but a natural voice. The pitch is just fine, even some males have helium voices. Remember that Olympic gymnast a few years ago (citation needed, sorry) with the Minnie Mouse voice?
Heck, they were ragging on Patrick Mahomes the first few times he gave his press talk after games.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 amAs another poster has said - I have doubts that this is anything but a natural voice. The pitch is just fine, even some males have helium voices. Remember that Olympic gymnast a few years ago (citation needed, sorry) with the Minnie Mouse voice?
Tara Lipinski?

Sometimes a cartoon voice clears up all by itself. I have a cousin who as a kid sounded for all the world like Tweety Bird, lisp and all. I visited her some years later and she had become a disc jockey. And the next time I saw her she had just missed out on an opportunity to voice a Robotech character when they decided to stop importing the series to the US.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 am
As another poster has said - I have doubts that this is anything but a natural voice. The pitch is just fine, even some males have helium voices. Remember that Olympic gymnast a few years ago (citation needed, sorry) with the Minnie Mouse voice? Some females have "whiskey" voices - it's OK to notice imho. I have an accent/impediment which makes me channel Jimmy Carter and I am quite comfortable having to spell my name (meares) with strangers on the phone. West Coast strangers think I am from Australia, east coast people think I'm from Alabama, and southerners think I'm from Joisey.

Of course nobody recognizes the actual sound of their voice (imagine the first recording and playback chaos), but generally overweight people know they are overweight and people know if they have a shrill voice, or if they have herring breath for that matter (ice cream doesn't mask it, especially sardine surprise flavor).

I looked forward to hearing her speech with her delivery style and the breathy voice, and furthermore, I have never understood the word "potato" so clearly! :lol: Now I sound patronizing. Dammit! A fantastic group of youngsters!
Twelvefootboy, I mean this sincerely: thank you for consistently injecting kindness and good humor into your posts.

Happy Thanksgiving, guys.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

da Doctah wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:30 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 amAs another poster has said - I have doubts that this is anything but a natural voice. The pitch is just fine, even some males have helium voices. Remember that Olympic gymnast a few years ago (citation needed, sorry) with the Minnie Mouse voice?
Tara Lipinski?

Sometimes a cartoon voice clears up all by itself. I have a cousin who as a kid sounded for all the world like Tweety Bird, lisp and all. I visited her some years later and she had become a disc jockey. And the next time I saw her she had just missed out on an opportunity to voice a Robotech character when they decided to stop importing the series to the US.
Since I made the teaser comment, I need to make the reveal; I think it was Kerri Strug, 1996. She was part of the "Magnificent Seven", and famously took a second vault attempt on a broken leg after clinching the gold medal with the first attempt. I just now listened to her in an interview, and it wasn't that extreme, but I do remember buzz about it - not especially hate but it would be on today's internet. Luckily it seems she just missed Dr. Nasser's child abuse reign of terror but she did endure the Bela Karolyi version.

Since then, I pretty much have boycotted all the hype and coverage of this sport due to the systemic child abuse and depriving pre-pubescent girls from a natural growth development. And, I was annoyed they were more popular than the central event in Olympics, my beloved Track and Field. They would show a complete evening of exhibition gymnastics and give a 20 second clip of the pole vaulting action, or 8 seconds of the shot put medal ceremony. Things have improved with the glut of media platforms.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Saturnalia wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:58 am
Twelvefootboy, I mean this sincerely: thank you for consistently injecting kindness and good humor into your posts.

Happy Thanksgiving, guys.
That is a wonderful comment and very classy gesture. :D I don't constrain the political bias as much as I should but I do delete a lot of content after typing it so as to keep the board apolitical. I am always happy to agree to disagree. My tenets - diminishing others does not elevate you, and almost any negative comment says more about you than it does the subject of the comment. Your comment says a lot about you, and thank you for that! Happy Turkey Day to all the boardies. I'm saving the last couple days of the show to watch when I get home, so must stay away!
Be safe!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

da Doctah wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:30 am
Tara Lipinski?
Not a gymnast.

Ah, Y2K. In 1999, my boss tasked me with tracking and staying abreast of potential impacts and mitigation on our databases. And I am not an IT guy.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Y2K: that thing that I didn't have to deal with because I owned a Mac at the time.