Friday, November 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:16 am
Euphonium wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:38 pm I know several people who would dispute the claim that Montreal is not a national capital.
Montreal is as much a capital of anything as Vancouver or Calgary are.
I assume Euphonium is alluding to the perpetual separatist movement of the French-Canadians in Quebec. But OQ knows all about that - I haven't heard anything lately. Or maybe he's talking about the 73% of Americans who think Toronto is the capital, and Montreal probably was the second guess. :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:38 pm I assume Euphonium is alluding to the perpetual separatist movement of the French-Canadians in Quebec.
Sure, but Quebec already has a capital, so why would they change it?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:23 pm J! really needs to find another affiliate in Denver. Preempted for college hoops. FJ was easy peasy.
so you don't get thursday episodes due to nfl games too? have had to deal with the local fox affiliate for years...finally accepted that the dogfish head in laws are idiots and won't change their tune and putting it on at a later time...just go to youtube a few hrs later and the episode will be updloaded...is what i have done all season
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:47 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:38 pm I assume Euphonium is alluding to the perpetual separatist movement of the French-Canadians in Quebec.
Perhaps Euphonium has a different angle to his off-the-cuff comment, but if it's the separatist movement, then it is to create a separate country, ergo a "national" capital. Does he need an irony or sarcasm spoiler? I take it as a simple jibe at the nationalist movement, maybe even a double sarcasm dip at our own political hellscape now.
As someone who frequently misses with puns and innuendo myself, I will withdraw as a voluntary translator/interpreter ;)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:24 pm
Perhaps Euphonium has a different angle to his off-the-cuff comment, but if it's the separatist movement, then it is to create a separate country, ergo a "national" capital. Does he need an irony or sarcasm spoiler? I take it as a simple jibe at the nationalist movement, maybe even a double sarcasm dip at our own political hellscape now.
As someone who frequently misses with puns and innuendo myself, I will withdraw as a voluntary translator/interpreter ;)
Okay, I'm just going to flat out say it instead of beating around the bush any further.

I'm fully aware of the Quebec separatist movement. However: The capital of Quebec is, and has always been, Quebec City.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:28 pm
Okay, I'm just going to flat out say it instead of beating around the bush any further.

I'm fully aware of the Quebec separatist movement. However: The capital of Quebec is, and has always been, Quebec City.
I don't think anyone was being kept in suspense about this. Someone made an absurd statement without giving any logic or reason for what on earth they're talking about, and people spend 3 days analzying it and trying to find some sense in it. I think you all might be trying too hard. :lol:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

If I had been at a real podium in this game I would have been tempted to risk a Clavin on this FJ. The Olympics are one of my favorite subjects in real life, so naturally they are a strong J! category. My only worry would have been that they would use a WINTER Olympics city in which case my knowledge base drops off like the end of a ski jump ramp.

When I saw this clue, well Gold Medal for this kid.

Sorry to see the defending champ bow out like this, but four wins is a helluva nice run and possibly ToC-worthy. We shall see.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:28 pm

Thank you, OQ for injecting information for my frontal lobe and any other boardies that are victims of the US public school systems. I probably knew that once, in 6th grade. In the Venn diagram of American ignorance, there is a section for knowing that Montreal is in Quebec province and that there is a separatist movement, but don't know the capital of the province. These are my people :lol:

If the OP cares to explain the quip, he/she will have to decrypt the rhetorical non-question to determine the actual question and if it is rhetorical or not. for me, well TIL the capital of Quebec. One byte of ignorance stamped out. :)