Tuesday, November 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ACTRESSES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1997 she became the first to win an Oscar for a film directed by her husband; her brother-in-law produced the film

Dylan Hamilton: 17600-1201=16399 (2x = $25,598)
Carol Radlo: 9400-3500=5900
Myra Guideng: 2800-2800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Frances McDormand (Dylan – Coppola) (Carol – Angelina Jolie) (Myra – Julia Roberts)

Daily Doubles
Dylan: 3200+3200
Carol: 4200+2000
Myra: 6200-2200

Coryats
Dylan: 15000
Carol: 8600
Myra: 5000

Combined: 28,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dylan: 10000
Carol: 3000
Myra: 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For those board members with Navy experience the miss on the rank for the 2-striper would be a good time not to have a drink in the mouth.

SPORTS STUFF worked well for Dylan as he took his score from 2600 up to 8200 to close the first segment.

The FJ! clue is the kind of thing where I know the parts yet cannot do it in 30 seconds. Looking for any kind of winning actress and directing husband I wrote Helen Mirren. Wrong in many ways, but the best I could do.

For some reason I could not sort out the family relationship of director husband and actress brother-in-law to wake up to that means the guys are brothers. Famous brothers on the directing & producing side of things? The Coens. From there I could click the movie & actress instantly.

It’s the kind of miss I hate and often trips up the contestants as well while the Oscar savants at home who cannot get 35 on the online test if their life depended on it eat it up in milliseconds.

During think time I knew to process 1997 meant 1996 movies so don’t even bother with Winslet. I was not feeling any kind of English Patient to Binoche combo. When the right movie is the not the Best Picture winner it’s always more difficult for me to sort through the nominees.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 am

The FJ! clue is the kind of thing where I know the parts yet cannot do it in 30 seconds. Looking for any kind of winning actress and directing husband I wrote Helen Mirren. Wrong in many ways, but the best I could do.

For some reason I could not sort out the family relationship of director husband and actress brother-in-law to wake up to that means the guys are brothers. Famous brothers on the directing & producing side of things? The Coens. From there I could click the movie & actress instantly.
I got caught for a second trying to think of 1996 movies (and it's always confusing because do they mean a 1996 movie with an award in 1997 or a 1997 movie that was awarded in 1998?) and then I realized that the connection was brothers and the Coens immediately came to mind and then the correct response.

As a movie fan, I think this was a harder than average Oscar question - and it's pretty well established that even a relatively softball Oscar clue gives everyone a hard time, despite that it is a very popular FJ category. Which is probably why the writers keep going to that particular well.

Kudos to Dylan who keeps using those DDs for maximum effect.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 am For those board members with Navy experience the miss on the rank for the 2-striper would be a good time not to have a drink in the mouth.
I got confused because, with an Air Force background, the word "stripes" sent me to enlisted ranks. I'm familiar with the insignia the clue is talking about, but somehow never thought of it as "stripes". If the clue had referenced the collar insignia (which are essentially the same between the Air Force and Navy), in this case two bars, I would have made the correct conversion from Air Force Captain to Navy Lieutenant.

For FJ!, I fell into the initial trap of thinking of Titanic which was a 1997 movie that won its Academy Awards in 1998. Even if I had avoided that mistake, and even if I had picked up on the brothers clue, I'm not sure I would have gotten it. Too bad, because I think Frances McDormand is great.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why the hell can't I remember which planet has rings? Or which is the biggest? That info always eludes me when I need it.

All but Acadian in homophones, all but the Aretha song in Familial.

NHO Handmaid's Tale/Margaret Atwood to my knowledge. Also don't recognize Bastille Day.

Surprised myself by running Navy slang.

That's the Name felt very YEKIOYD.

No guess on FJ! I didn't know Fargo had any actresses in it, and can't say that I recognize the correct response.

Lach Trash: gilt/guilt, lieutenant, Uncle Kracker
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not a prayer on that FJ. As soon as he said Fargo, I knew it was McDormand, but no way I was coming up with her on my own.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:24 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 am For those board members with Navy experience the miss on the rank for the 2-striper would be a good time not to have a drink in the mouth.
I got confused because, with an Air Force background, the word "stripes" sent me to enlisted ranks. I'm familiar with the insignia the clue is talking about, but somehow never thought of it as "stripes". If the clue had referenced the collar insignia (which are essentially the same between the Air Force and Navy), in this case two bars, I would have made the correct conversion from Air Force Captain to Navy Lieutenant.

For FJ!, I fell into the initial trap of thinking of Titanic which was a 1997 movie that won its Academy Awards in 1998. Even if I had avoided that mistake, and even if I had picked up on the brothers clue, I'm not sure I would have gotten it. Too bad, because I think Frances McDormand is great.
I wish the writers would specify "s/he won the award in 1997 for a movie released in 1996," for example. Barring that, I guess we just have to continue to assume that when they say they won in 1997, they really mean won in that year for the movie released the prior year. But really - they could clear it up so easily.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

How was swab the deck = mop the second hardest clue in the navy column?

We had another chance to use melli- = honey with the clue about Deborah and Melissa both translating to "honeybee". It was easy enough to get the clue just off "insect important to farming" but it was a nice confirmation.

Somehow I heard that Arthur C. Clarke quote in someone else's voice.
Spoiler
Fumbled around with this FJ for a bit because of the 1997 confusion. Thought about Titanic, James Cameron, Katherine Bigelow and knew that was a dead end. Then I hit on Fargo, which was only off by a year and otherwise a perfect fit. So I mentally wrote down McDormand even as my brain worked through the fact that winning IN 1997 meant she won FOR 1996 so I definitely had the right response.

The shortcut, as Mark Barrett noted, was to work out the family relations and realize the director and producer were (probably) brothers. If you don't know who that leads to, you're not getting this clue.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:29 pm No guess on FJ! I didn't know Fargo had any actresses in it, and can't say that I recognize the correct response.
Did you know it had snow? Because that's the only entity I can think of with a bigger presence in that movie than Frances McDormand.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:37 pm
The shortcut, as Mark Barrett noted, was to work out the family relations and realize the director and producer were (probably) brothers. If you don't know who that leads to, you're not getting this clue.
I figured that part out, but still couldn't get from there to the actress; I didn't know which actress had married a Coen, and I thought Fargo was somewhat earlier. Wrote down Julia Roberts just to have something.
davey

Post by davey »

I'd say In 1997 she became the first to win an Oscar... pins it pretty well, just as In 1996 she starred in... would. But I haven't ever memorized Oscar winners so the difference doesn't mean much to me for most pictures. And of course I pay a price for that on J!, which I live with.
I would never have remembered - or been sure anyway - that McDormand won for Fargo, or even that Fargo is that old...But brother filmmakers, though it took maybe :15 to come to consciousness, made it pretty clear...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:29 pm No guess on FJ! I didn't know Fargo had any actresses in it, and can't say that I recognize the correct response.
Did you know it had snow? Because that's the only entity I can think of with a bigger presence in that movie than Frances McDormand.
All I know is something something Coen Brothers something something woodchipper.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:50 pm
All I know is something something Coen Brothers something something woodchipper.
Then you just have to flesh out that scene a little and you're there. Steve Buscemi was the chippee. Peter Stormare was the chipper. And Frances McDormand was the chipper cop who copped the chipper.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:50 pm
pretty much all i know about that movie as well
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A silly personal note to add to the FJ! clue: This was my 10th miss of the season.
My 10th miss of S34? October 24th.

Either the FJ! clues are easier so far this season or I'm getting smarter. I'll take the former.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I wish I'd made the brothers connection, because I likely would've gotten it instantly after that. Fargo was the correct response to a clue about Frances McDormand on the J! page-a-day calendar just a few weeks ago.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

No chance on the FJ, even if you ask me now and spot me the cop on the woodchipper movie. NHO the name or any of the other woodchipper/woodchippees. Way out of my lane.

I was into militaria as an adolescent/child, but NOBODY ever played Navy. Considered way too prissy - not Air Force prissy with umbrellas, but just not macho enough. I answered ensign, but do know that it is not an officer rank. For the sailors and airmen - I have already been re-educated and have one sibling veteran from each service :).
I don't think I new any of the moons with enough certainty to ring in, but I do know the 7th planet and I'm glad Dylan didn't give the polite pronunciation a la Carl Sagan (Ur..., instead of Yur...). Does anyone know how Alex pronounces Uranus on the show?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:43 pm I answered ensign, but do know that it is not an officer rank.
Yeah, it is.