Tuesday, November 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JayK33 »

Guess who got today's FJ right, and therefore can already be glad he won't be getting an FJ shutout this week? :)

Well, not me. Congrats to whoever did, though.

I had to guess someone and for some reason, Hilary Swank came to mind, so I went with her. I'm now looking up info about her to see if it's a justifiable guess. And well, she got married in 1997 to Chad Lowe, an actor and director (although his first credit for the latter is apparently from 2000, but close enough), who has an also-famous brother in Rob Lowe. She has won Academy Awards but not as early as 1997. Well I guess I'll take what I can get.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:29 pm Why the hell can't I remember which planet has rings?
All of the gas planets have them.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Accidentally posted this in yesterday's thread:

For some reason I got stuck on the fact that Gwyneth Paltrow is Blythe Danner's daughter and figured maybe she has other family in the film industry, too. I couldn't remember what year Shakespeare in Love came out but knew it had to be around there.

clprez noted that her father was a screenwriter and producer.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:43 pm I answered ensign, but do know that it is not an officer rank.
Yeah, it is.
sorry for the misinformation. I thunked that NCO < Officer and that ensign = NCO. Why doesn't the Navy start at Louie like the others? Should have asked my brother (6 yrs and never was on a ship, lol), but once they went to the E-numbering system, it took the cool out of it. Buck Privates and bird colonels and staff sergeants and all.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

After FJ I was mad at myself. For missing, for forgetting the '90s portion of my previously-memorized lists of winners, for not piecing together that married to director + brother in law producing = brothers = Coen brothers, and also, how the !@#& did I not remember a vital bit of movie trivia like Frances McDormand being married to one of the Coen brothers!? *sigh* So many ways to get this right, so many failures.

Also, that 3500 FJ wager. Yikes.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I knew that it was the Coen brothers, I knew it was Fargo, but I blanked on the name of the actress.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Euphonium wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:32 pm Accidentally posted this in yesterday's thread:

For some reason I got stuck on the fact that Gwyneth Paltrow is Blythe Danner's daughter and figured maybe she has other family in the film industry, too. I couldn't remember what year Shakespeare in Love came out but knew it had to be around there.

clprez noted that her father was a screenwriter and producer.
You could have edited it out. I just saw some talk about Gwyneth Paltrow, then two posts later you saying you posted in the wrong thread. So that affected my FJ thought process; I don't know if I would have gotten it right on my own. It wasn't exactly a spoiler, but I would prefer not to have seen it, and it was within your power to prevent that even after the option to delete the post itself was gone.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Even with the picture below (which I think I've put on here before), I just didn't get there on this one.
Andy Woodchipper.jpg
Andy Woodchipper.jpg (93.65 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:24 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 am For those board members with Navy experience the miss on the rank for the 2-striper would be a good time not to have a drink in the mouth.
I got confused because, with an Air Force background, the word "stripes" sent me to enlisted ranks. I'm familiar with the insignia the clue is talking about, but somehow never thought of it as "stripes". If the clue had referenced the collar insignia (which are essentially the same between the Air Force and Navy), in this case two bars, I would have made the correct conversion from Air Force Captain to Navy Lieutenant.

For FJ!, I fell into the initial trap of thinking of Titanic which was a 1997 movie that won its Academy Awards in 1998. Even if I had avoided that mistake, and even if I had picked up on the brothers clue, I'm not sure I would have gotten it. Too bad, because I think Frances McDormand is great.
Same here. "Stripes" to me are on the shoulder, and two stripes are a corporal, or in the navy a what, petty officer?

The army captain and navy lieutenant wear two BARS, although I guess I'm forgetting naval ranks being displayed with stripes at the end of the sleeve. It's all so confusing. All I ever have to remember is that my wife outranks me. Or so she keeps saying.

Only 1997 movie that came to mind was Titanic, with no Oscar-winning ladies coming to mind (probably because none exist). Never got out of the depths of the Atlantic to think about Fargo.

poop.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:56 am Even with the picture below (which I think I've put on here before), I just didn't get there on this one.
Spoiler
You look altogether too happy in that picture. Who are you imagining at the other end of that foot?
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

31,400 coryat.

Had a little trouble getting to McDormand, not only from the aforementioned 1996 release/1997 ceremony confusion, but also the supremely disingenuous description of the film as being directed by one brother and produced by the other. Union rules at the time notwithstanding, it was/is common knowledge that both of them directed and produced Fargo, just like all of their other movies.
I would prefer not to.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Gilt/Guilt, Acadians/Akkadians, Naiad, Arthur C. Clarke, Lieutenant, Bavaria, (Christopher), Francis, Alexander, Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana

Only misses were Incorrect Score Card, Shoreleave, Incidental, the Eurythmics song, and Uncle Kracker.

Probably would have gotten the remaining two in Bridge Burners.

Final Jeopardy: Brother-in-Law. That surely is the Coen Brothers. 1997 Oscars indicate 1996 film. Coen Brothers film 1996 == Fargo. Best Actress for Fargo == Frances McDormand. Very thankful to have a Mom who is a HUGE movie fan.
Douglas Squasoni
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Well, this was an improvement from Monday's game. For FJ, I got quickly to the Coen brothers and Fargo and came up with Frances McDormand. Then I spent the rest of Think Music fretting that I'd put down the wrong name ("wasn't she the wife in Independence Day?" -- my brain trying to kill me as usual)
MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:09 pm I wish the writers would specify "s/he won the award in 1997 for a movie released in 1996," for example. Barring that, I guess we just have to continue to assume that when they say they won in 1997, they really mean won in that year for the movie released the prior year. But really - they could clear it up so easily.
Agreed. In this case for example, instead of "In 1997 she became the first to win an Oscar ...", they could phrase it as:

For the movie year 1996 she became the first to win an Oscar ... "
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MtlMike wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:38 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:09 pm I wish the writers would specify "s/he won the award in 1997 for a movie released in 1996," for example. Barring that, I guess we just have to continue to assume that when they say they won in 1997, they really mean won in that year for the movie released the prior year. But really - they could clear it up so easily.
Agreed. In this case for example, instead of "In 1997 she became the first to win an Oscar ...", they could phrase it as:

'Movie year' just raises more problems. Heck, Charlie Chaplin won in 1973 for a movie originally released in 1952.
McDormand won in 1997. That's all you need.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

We had a Uranus clue in this game. Contestants should get double the value if they add a guffaw to their response.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Great FJ and surprised it was a TS. I'm never going to sit down and memorize lists of Oscar winners by year, but it helps to have both the 90s and filmmaking brothers in the clue (the directing/producing distinction notwithstanding). Also helps that Frances McD won her second Oscar in 2018. Would it have helped even more to have the category named "OSCAR WINNING ACTRESSES" ?

Tough DJ round. Paused the tape on "Japanese shopping district" only to pull out the wrong response - Shinjuku

Blew it with "Sisters...doing it for themselves" like I blew it with (Preet) Ba-H-ara the other night

Scooped up Francis but stared at 'Messiah-bearer', squeaking out Joseph, same as the contestant. Would be a better story if Joseph were the one doing the bearing. Again, I'll take this opportunity to argue for Bible questions to get their own show
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:53 pm

'Movie year' just raises more problems. Heck, Charlie Chaplin won in 1973 for a movie originally released in 1952.
Yeah, I don't know that "movie year" clarifies things, but this is a constant source of confusion when you're talking about the Oscars and it would be incredibly easy to fix so that we're all starting from the same point. The award for Limelight is probably the only time there has been such a long passage of time between release and award, although I think it's predicated on a movie's 1972 release in Los Angeles. Casablanca is another confusing one because it had a limited release in 1942, national release in '43 and then finally got awards in the Oscar ceremony in '44. Those are very rare exceptions.

In any event, there's really no reason that they couldn't provide the information clarifying the year released and the award year.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

harrumph wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:07 pm We had a Uranus clue in this game. Contestants should get double the value if they add a guffaw to their response.
Or they can at least add ", Alex?" to the end of their response. So much funnier to say "What is Uranus, Alex?" Maybe points for saying "Where" instead of "What" as well.

We'll return to Junior High Jeopardy! after these important messages.

[cue Skechers ad]
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:46 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:53 pm

Yeah, I don't know that "movie year" clarifies things, but this is a constant source of confusion when you're talking about the Oscars and it would be incredibly easy to fix so that we're all starting from the same point. The award for Limelight is probably the only time there has been such a long passage of time between release and award, although I think it's predicated on a movie's 1972 release in Los Angeles. Casablanca is another confusing one because it had a limited release in 1942, national release in '43 and then finally got awards in the Oscar ceremony in '44. Those are very rare exceptions.

In any event, there's really no reason that they couldn't provide the information clarifying the year released and the award year.
I still don't know why it's confusing...
I guess we just have to continue to assume that when they say they won in 1997, they really mean won in that year...Yes, a good assumption...If there are examples where they screwed up the distinction in the past, that's a separate issue.