Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6555
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 pm

Category 13 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: My thinking was, either it's the Star-Spangled Banner or this is a terrible clue. Do we have any reason to believe that Brits even KNEW "God Bless America" back in 2001? (I'm not even sure they know it NOW, though it's become much more famous in the last 18 years.) That's very much a song for this side of the pond. Think about it like this. If the disaster had happened in the UK, what song would WE have played? "Rule, Brittania"? "There'll Always Be an England"? Gimme a break. There is exactly one plausible response. Similarly, the correct response to this FJ is the only one that makes any sense. That response would've been ludicrously negbait-y if they'd been going for something else.
I disagree.
Unless one specifically recalled the described event, I see no reason why it couldn't have been God Bless America. The sentiment certainly fits a whole lot better than S-S-B.
I'm not arguing about the sentiment. The sentiment fits just fine--better than the SSB as you note. That's why the song vaulted into the spotlight after 9/11. Do you believe the great majority of Brits in 2001 would have recognized the tune and understood what the sentiment was?

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6416
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:14 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 pm
Category 13 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: My thinking was, either it's the Star-Spangled Banner or this is a terrible clue. Do we have any reason to believe that Brits even KNEW "God Bless America" back in 2001? (I'm not even sure they know it NOW, though it's become much more famous in the last 18 years.) That's very much a song for this side of the pond. Think about it like this. If the disaster had happened in the UK, what song would WE have played? "Rule, Brittania"? "There'll Always Be an England"? Gimme a break. There is exactly one plausible response. Similarly, the correct response to this FJ is the only one that makes any sense. That response would've been ludicrously negbait-y if they'd been going for something else.
I disagree.
Unless one specifically recalled the described event, I see no reason why it couldn't have been God Bless America. The sentiment certainly fits a whole lot better than S-S-B.
I'm not arguing about the sentiment. The sentiment fits just fine--better than the SSB as you note. That's why the song vaulted into the spotlight after 9/11. Do you believe the great majority of Brits in 2001 would have recognized the tune and understood what the sentiment was?
My thinking was, as Buckingham is home of the Head of State, they're going to play something official, and as a country we only have one national anthem. Nothing else would be as obvious.

User avatar
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:16 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Saturnalia » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:52 pm

Volante wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:14 pm
My thinking was, as Buckingham is home of the Head of State, they're going to play something official, and as a country we only have one national anthem. Nothing else would be as obvious.
That is, likely, the best way to grasp the finer nuances of the TOM. (That is, the thinking should be "OK, obviously it's something patriotic and American; what will help me decide between my options?")

I associate GBA so strongly with 9/11 that it was nigh-impossible to see past that possibility. As a teen, the song seemed so new to me then; I knew it had existed previously, obviously, but it was only after 9/11 that it suddenly seemed to be everywhere. Part of it was that I was a baseball fan, and every team (or close to it) started to play it during the 7th-inning stretch in the days and months after, and I remember my (lefty) mom wondering whether this was really necessary, etc.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1280
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:56 pm

If the FJ read like this:

In a tribute with no precedent, the band played this at the Buckingham Palace Changing of the Guard on Sept. 13, 2001

I would have probably got it. But with the all caps format, I took it to be a publicity stunt by THE BAND, which is the name of a stone age rock group. Thinking of the Beatles' earlier rooftop performance, and the fact dinosaur bands never die, I ignored all the TOMs (tribute, 9/13). Figured it was a Jimi Hendrix gimmick and chose the Brit anthem, "God save the Queen".

But seriously, what f***ing band are they talking about? I've been there twice - never saw no damn band. Who has a band at a gate?
SpoilerShow
Buckingham Palace - apparently a regular thing at the actual ceremony - my visits were not during the change
Heading for the box of shame. Mon/Tues were way out of my lane, but this one has lowered my self esteem and I will have to gorge on the sardine surprise ice cream if there is any left :cry:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
JayK33
Just a Fan
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JayK33 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:26 am

In regards to the game, congrats to the new champ on a big win, but it sucks to see Dylan go out like he did. I was rooting for him.

User avatar
Bartleby
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 am
Location: Joplin, Missouri

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bartleby » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:30 am

31,400 coryat. Instaget final.

"God Bless America" is a tad tougher of a tune than "The Star-Spangled Banner" but "America the Beautiful" is the better built boat of patriotic paeans.
I would prefer not to.

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:17 am

I guess I got lucky with my thinking on FJ. Saw the date and immediately connected to the events in the US two days before. Nothing other than TSSB entered my thinking. What other song could be so unprecedented at Buckingham Palace? Some other country's national anthem fit that bill, and the date pointed to the USA.

I suppose being a bit older meant that God Bless America never entered my thinking. I knew it quite well long before 9/11, so thought nothing of its rise in popularity after. Besides, it took a whole lot more than 2 days for that rise in popularity to happen.


PS - I'm glad we missed most of Denzel. Kept me from embarrassing myself. :lol:
--Peter

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6555
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:03 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:56 pm
Heading for the box of shame. Mon/Tues were way out of my lane, but this one has lowered my self esteem and I will have to gorge on the sardine surprise ice cream if there is any left :cry:
Ummm... about that....

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7480
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:28 am

I figured patriotic song, but had no idea how to narrow it down any
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6455
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:49 am

I was hoping we would see The Pelican Brief in the Denzel category. The newsroom scene was filmed in my company's office space. Denzel's trailer was right below my window. During the filming, it was surrounded by hundreds of (mostly) black women. I would know whenever he was entering or leaving his trailer because hundreds of women would squeal in unison. I also got to watch him and John Lithgow shoot a scene. I still have a prop (shown below) from the filming that I use for one of my plants.

Financial Desk.jpg
Financial Desk.jpg (78.29 KiB) Viewed 505 times

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 am

davey wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:14 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 pm
JayK33 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am
The FJ! clue had my coin fall on the wrong side as the ghost of Kate Smith must have been influenced the toss. At least it is one of those misses when I know I will have company before the day is done.
God Bless America?

For me, the two that came to mind were Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful. Thankfully, I picked the right one.
why not "my country tis o thee"? the melody is the same as "god save the queen"
How would anybody know...?

never heard of the internet or shazam?

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3329
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:09 am

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 am
davey wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:14 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 pm
JayK33 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am
The FJ! clue had my coin fall on the wrong side as the ghost of Kate Smith must have been influenced the toss. At least it is one of those misses when I know I will have company before the day is done.
God Bless America?

For me, the two that came to mind were Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful. Thankfully, I picked the right one.
why not "my country tis o thee"? the melody is the same as "god save the queen"
How would anybody know...?

never heard of the internet or shazam?
OK, I'll explain. I presume they did play My Country 'Tis of Thee. Everybody thought it was God Save the Queen... :roll:

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:36 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:56 pm
...with the all caps format, I took it to be a publicity stunt by THE BAND...
Yes, that was my initial thought as well. Blew about five seconds trying to make the dates work before I gave up and went down the correct path.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:23 am

davey wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:09 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 am
davey wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:14 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 pm
JayK33 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:14 pm


God Bless America?

For me, the two that came to mind were Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful. Thankfully, I picked the right one.
why not "my country tis o thee"? the melody is the same as "god save the queen"
How would anybody know...?

never heard of the internet or shazam?
OK, I'll explain. I presume they did play My Country 'Tis of Thee. Everybody thought it was God Save the Queen... :roll:
use the lyrical version

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4506
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:29 am

I wonder if Adriana's FJ response was accepted right away or if there was some judges' discussion? It's pretty clear the "star" at the end of her response was superfluous, but it WAS there.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:46 am

shouldn't dylan have been penalized for his response in the denzel washington category? sounded like he said rememberer the titans or remember of the titans and not "remember the titans"

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3329
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:12 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:46 am
shouldn't dylan have been penalized for his response in the denzel washington category? sounded like he said rememberer the titans or remember of the titans and not "remember the titans"
More like "Rememberrrr the Titans." Maybe it took him a second to recall the team.

bbird
Valued Contributor
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bbird » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:27 pm

twelvefootboy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:56 pm
If the FJ read like this:
I'm sorry for your miss, but I sure did enjoy following the winding path to your response. :lol:

Presuming God Save the Queen was standard fare for such a ceremony, I immediately ruled out My Country 'Tis of Thee, unless they also held up a banner saying "But we're thinking about the American lyrics while we play this." As previously mentioned, God Bless America was pretty ubiquitous after 9/11 so it's the song I most associate with the days/months afterward, but I wasn't sure how well-known it was across the pond. I figured the Star-Spangled Banner was the safest bet.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6075
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:35 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:23 am
davey wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:09 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 am
davey wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:14 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 pm


why not "my country tis o thee"? the melody is the same as "god save the queen"
How would anybody know...?

never heard of the internet or shazam?
OK, I'll explain. I presume they did play My Country 'Tis of Thee. Everybody thought it was God Save the Queen... :roll:
use the lyrical version
Instruments aren't so great at rendering lyrics.

MSTieScott
Contributor
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MSTieScott » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:57 pm

I think the writers were trying to steer people away from answers such as "God Bless America" with the first part of the clue: "In a tribute with no precedent." I think their intention was to point out that while playing a song reverent to another country might be unusual, it would be unprecedented for an official military band to play another country's national anthem during an unrelated official military function.

I don't know whether "no precedent" actually refers to any military band playing another country's anthem (I see some protocols about when it's appropriate for a U.S. military band to play a foreign national anthem before "The Star-Spangled Banner"). I did search on whether the changing of the guard is always accompanied by the same music, and learned that there is no regular playlist. So "God Bless America" wouldn't have been as big of a deal as "The Star-Spangled Banner."

Post Reply