Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

51 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lunge, Ronin, Scotchgard, Rafting, Thomas Pynchon, Law Students, Thermometer, Busby, Neigh

Only misses were Unstrung, Baekelite, and the bottom three in Music.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Between previous posts here and a recent thread on Reddit I've seen a handful of names of champs who did not play the FJ! round in their last games of regular play:

Ryan Alley
Michael Bilow
Carl Brady
Deborah Fitzgerald
Dylan Hamilton
Max Levaren
Philip Tiu

Those are all players good enough to have won at least two games.

Anyone with the specialized Archive-fu want to add other champs to fit the list? Even if it was a 1x winner only.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:30 pm Poll request for "lunge"? I thought that was obscure for $200. I ended up bombing the category. Can't say I've heard of "flume" or "ronin" before.

Also NHO Chappaquiddick. That's definitely a Hawley-smoot name.

Can't say I've heard of Remember the Titans either.

Also NHO "unring a bell".

OK, NHO Chappaquiddick, Remember the Titans, or "Unring a Bell."

I don't usually read your posts because they are so full of NHOs.

We get it. There are a great many things that are common J! knowledge, not to mention just plain cultural literacy: if you live in America in this millennium, X is something you should know because almost everyone knows.

And yet you NHO.

We all get it by now. You seem like a really nice guy, but it's OK if you stop these, and maybe stop acting so surprised that there's something on the show that you don't know. It's no surprise to anyone else any more.

How about telling us about some clues you DID answer, or what you're studying to increase the size of your knowledge pool?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:10 pm Between previous posts here and a recent thread on Reddit I've seen a handful of names of champs who did not play the FJ! round in their last games of regular play:

Ryan Alley
Michael Bilow
Carl Brady
Deborah Fitzgerald
Dylan Hamilton
Max Levaren
Philip Tiu

Those are all players good enough to have won at least two games.

Anyone with the specialized Archive-fu want to add other champs to fit the list? Even if it was a 1x winner only.
Betsy Knudson
Marilyn Maher
Rebecca Wald
Mike Malaier
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I went to GBA, thinking that was a better message.

Two things leading me away from SSB:
1. The lyrics are about a battle between US and UK,
2. The melody is from a British drinking song (Oh, that might be a positive).
OCSam
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:20 pm God Bless America, here. I'm hesitant to complain just because I missed it, but... I think this is a poor clue.
I've already filed my legal brief, but I like the general cleverness of the clue, but "National Firsts"? They needed to say "the ceremonial band" or something to solve my problem with the clue.

If I hadn't been diverted (unforced error on my part), I would definitely have named SSB. I doubt if GBA has any symbolism overseas, and it was just a bit of nostalgia at the time. IMHO GBA is a maudlin piece of crap. I'll take Woody Guthrie "This land is our land" over it anytime. For instrumental, give me the Washington Post March or Stars and Stripes Forever (not the one with the duck could be somebody's mother, lol)!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:56 pm If the FJ read like this:

In a tribute with no precedent, the band played this at the Buckingham Palace Changing of the Guard on Sept. 13, 2001

I would have probably got it. But with the all caps format, I took it to be a publicity stunt by THE BAND, which is the name of a stone age rock group. Thinking of the Beatles' earlier rooftop performance, and the fact dinosaur bands never die, I ignored all the TOMs (tribute, 9/13). Figured it was a Jimi Hendrix gimmick and chose the Brit anthem, "God save the Queen".

But seriously, what f***ing band are they talking about? I've been there twice - never saw no damn band. Who has a band at a gate?
Spoiler
Buckingham Palace - apparently a regular thing at the actual ceremony - my visits were not during the change
Heading for the box of shame. Mon/Tues were way out of my lane, but this one has lowered my self esteem and I will have to gorge on the sardine surprise ice cream if there is any left :cry:
For about a second and a half "Buckingham" took me to Fleetwood Mac...