Tuesday, November 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:11 pm Scooped up Francis but stared at 'Messiah-bearer', squeaking out Joseph, same as the contestant. Would be a better story if Joseph were the one doing the bearing. Again, I'll take this opportunity to argue for Bible questions to get their own show
It helps to know that מָשִׁיחַ‎ (moshiach or messiah) means "anointed one" and that Χριστός (Christos or Christ) is simply the Greek translation of that. They aren't two separate titles but the same title transliterated from two languages. So Messiah-bearer = Christ-bearer.

I would love to see/compete in/work as a writer for Bible Jeopardy! I've got a bunch of categories already prepared: SIMONS; 3:16s; GOLD, FRANKINCENSE, OR MYRRH? (That last one gets a little racy.) But I also have reservations about... well... I guess... hmmm. My concern involves the sub-culture(s) that would be involved and I don't know how to express it publicly so I won't try.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm currently reading The Handmaid's Tale and now a pet peeve of mine is when the main character's name is pronounced as "off-red" when it really should be "uv-fred" as in Of Fred. I haven't seen the TV series, but I think they pronounce it like that, and that's also how Alex pronounced it last night (i.e. the way I consider to be incorrect).
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:52 pm I'm currently reading The Handmaid's Tale and now a pet peeve of mine is when the main character's name is pronounced as "off-red" when it really should be "uv-fred" as in Of Fred. I haven't seen the TV series, but I think they pronounce it like that, and that's also how Alex pronounced it last night (i.e. the way I consider to be incorrect).
I have not watched or read, so don't really care, but here is one source:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Margaret Atwood doesn't actually say how the name should be pronounced, but she did say this in a New York Times essay last year:
When I first began “The Handmaid’s Tale” it was called “Offred,” the name of its central character. This name is composed of a man’s first name, “Fred,” and a prefix denoting “belonging to,” so it is like “de” in French or “von” in German, or like the suffix “son” in English last names like Williamson.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/book ... trump.html
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:52 pm I'm currently reading The Handmaid's Tale and now a pet peeve of mine is when the main character's name is pronounced as "off-red" when it really should be "uv-fred" as in Of Fred. I haven't seen the TV series, but I think they pronounce it like that, and that's also how Alex pronounced it last night (i.e. the way I consider to be incorrect).
I don't know the book or the TV series yet (but hey, I just discovered the Kindle book is free with Amazon Prime!), but might the point of pronouncing it that way, assuming that people in Gilead do, be to both describe and euphemistically conceal the horrifying chattel nature of the relationship? Maybe even, in the series, give the audience the chance to figure the meaning out for themselves?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:32 pm
I don't know the book or the TV series yet (but hey, I just discovered the Kindle book is free with Amazon Prime!), but might the point of pronouncing it that way, assuming that people in Gilead do, be to both describe and euphemistically conceal the horrifying chattel nature of the relationship?
The other handmaids have names like Ofglen and Ofwarren, which clearly wouldn't be pronounced with the first syllable as "off," so I don't think that theory would make sense. Also there definitely is not any intent to conceal the nature of the relationship.

Atwood does say the name was also meant to convey a second meaning of "offered," so there is that.

Anyway, it's a very captivating and scary book so far. I recommend it.
earendel

Post by earendel »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:12 pmI would love to see/compete in/work as a writer for Bible Jeopardy! I've got a bunch of categories already prepared: SIMONS; 3:16s; GOLD, FRANKINCENSE, OR MYRRH? (That last one gets a little racy.) But I also have reservations about... well... I guess... hmmm. My concern involves the sub-culture(s) that would be involved and I don't know how to express it publicly so I won't try.
I was asked to write a 10 Commandments-themed trivia game for a fund-raiser for my church.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:38 pm
I don't know the book or the TV series yet (but hey, I just discovered the Kindle book is free with Amazon Prime!), but might the point of pronouncing it that way, assuming that people in Gilead do, be to both describe and euphemistically conceal the horrifying chattel nature of the relationship?
The other handmaids have names like Ofglen and Ofwarren, which clearly wouldn't be pronounced with the first syllable as "off," so I don't think that theory would make sense. Also there definitely is not any intent to conceal the nature of the relationship.

Atwood does say the name was also meant to convey a second meaning of "offered," so there is that.

+1. Just read it last year for the first time. And the Hulu series does a great job of moving the story forward beyond the end of the book in Season 2

And this: Myra blew up the Internet with her Kid Cudi response. NHO Uncle Cracker or Kid Cudi but my 20-something co-worker spit out his lunch when Myra jumped in with Kid Cudi
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

John Boy wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:01 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:24 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 am For those board members with Navy experience the miss on the rank for the 2-striper would be a good time not to have a drink in the mouth.
I got confused because, with an Air Force background, the word "stripes" sent me to enlisted ranks. I'm familiar with the insignia the clue is talking about, but somehow never thought of it as "stripes". If the clue had referenced the collar insignia (which are essentially the same between the Air Force and Navy), in this case two bars, I would have made the correct conversion from Air Force Captain to Navy Lieutenant.

For FJ!, I fell into the initial trap of thinking of Titanic which was a 1997 movie that won its Academy Awards in 1998. Even if I had avoided that mistake, and even if I had picked up on the brothers clue, I'm not sure I would have gotten it. Too bad, because I think Frances McDormand is great.
Same here. "Stripes" to me are on the shoulder, and two stripes are a corporal, or in the navy a what, petty officer?

The army captain and navy lieutenant wear two BARS, although I guess I'm forgetting naval ranks being displayed with stripes at the end of the sleeve. It's all so confusing. All I ever have to remember is that my wife outranks me. Or so she keeps saying.
This definitely had some "you either know it or you don't" flavor to it. There are actually three Naval officer ranks that have two cuff stripes -- Lieutenants Junior Grade (O-2) have a wide plus a narrow, Lieutenants (O-3) have two wides, and Rear Admirals (O-8) have a wide and an extra-wide. But in Navy jargon, only the Lieutenant is known as a two-striper. Pretty much inside baseball, and possibly too subtly esoteric to make a good Jeopardy question.

As a personal side note, my wife DID outrank me and I had to salute her every time she administered the oath at each of my reenlistment ceremonies. I was a Staff Sergeant (E-5) when I married her while she was a Captain (O-3). I retired as a Chief Master Sergeant (E-9), and she's a retired Lieutenant Colonel (O-5). Seventeen years married while on active duty; 24 years as married civilians since military retirement. We're still wondering if it will last.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:49 pm
harrumph wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:07 pm We had a Uranus clue in this game. Contestants should get double the value if they add a guffaw to their response.
Or they can at least add ", Alex?" to the end of their response. So much funnier to say "What is Uranus, Alex?" Maybe points for saying "Where" instead of "What" as well.

We'll return to Junior High Jeopardy! after these important messages.

[cue Skechers ad]
How about "How"?
OCSam
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:53 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:49 pm
harrumph wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:07 pm We had a Uranus clue in this game. Contestants should get double the value if they add a guffaw to their response.
Or they can at least add ", Alex?" to the end of their response. So much funnier to say "What is Uranus, Alex?" Maybe points for saying "Where" instead of "What" as well.

We'll return to Junior High Jeopardy! after these important messages.

[cue Skechers ad]
How about "How"?
Definitely!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

FJ: never heard of her, still don't know who she is.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:44 pm
As a personal side note, my wife DID outrank me and I had to salute her every time she administered the oath at each of my reenlistment ceremonies. I was a Staff Sergeant (E-5) when I married her while she was a Captain (O-3). I retired as a Chief Master Sergeant (E-9), and she's a retired Lieutenant Colonel (O-5). Seventeen years married while on active duty; 24 years as married civilians since military retirement. We're still wondering if it will last.
Congrats on marrying up! My sister was a Captain but got Riffed after 12 years service (I think) and is still on the same job as a Civilian (with better pay) for 20+ years. She had married a tech sergeant and he stayed in for 20+ and also has kept the same job. The USAF was my sister's life, and she would have taken the lower pay forever. Unfortunately, she may have been derailed by the old policy against fraternization, which is a career killer. It was probably just too crowded during a forces downsizing, but the family thinks she was Major material even if she did burn my nose with a fireworks punk on my 10th birthday (lesson - don't give 2 year olds fireworks).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

DBear wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 pm FJ: never heard of her, still don't know who she is.
Did you see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri or Fargo (1996 movie)?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:45 am
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:44 pm
Congrats on marrying up! My sister was a Captain but got Riffed after 12 years service (I think) and is still on the same job as a Civilian (with better pay) for 20+ years. She had married a tech sergeant and he stayed in for 20+ and also has kept the same job. The USAF was my sister's life, and she would have taken the lower pay forever. Unfortunately, she may have been derailed by the old policy against fraternization, which is a career killer. It was probably just too crowded during a forces downsizing, but the family thinks she was Major material even if she did burn my nose with a fireworks punk on my 10th birthday (lesson - don't give 2 year olds fireworks).
Knew many folks in "mixed marriages" during our time in the service; at least during our time in the '70s through the early '90s the only specific fraternization rule was "not in the same chain of command, disclose it to each individual's commander, and keep it professional on the job." Pilots were married to weather forecasters, avionics techs were married to civil engineers, lawyers married security personnel, and there were MANY "mixed marriages" in health care (we were one -- we met when we were assigned to the same aeromedical squadron doing in-flight patient care). The USAF philosophy was very different from some of the other services, in that it treated any "fraternization" the same way, whether it was officer/enlisted, senior officer/junior officer, or senior enlisted/junior enlisted. A sergeant dating a lieutenant, a master sergeant dating a staff sergeant, or a colonel dating a captain were subject to the same rules. In other services, relationships between the enlisted and officer corps were frowned upon, but relationships within the respective corps, even between junior and senior, were OK -- and they could cause just as many problems.

Depending on the time frame, it's likely your sister simply got caught in a numbers crunch. There have been several periods of downsizing when many highly qualified people were let go when the service would have preferred to retain them. And it sometimes varied by career field, depending on overages and shortages. There were periods when super-sharp people were being riffed from one career field while relatively mediocre people in another career field were receiving retention bonuses. But her service is appreciated and I hope she enjoyed her service as much as we did ours.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm Margaret Atwood doesn't actually say how the name should be pronounced, but she did say this in a New York Times essay last year:
When I first began “The Handmaid’s Tale” it was called “Offred,” the name of its central character. This name is composed of a man’s first name, “Fred,” and a prefix denoting “belonging to,” so it is like “de” in French or “von” in German, or like the suffix “son” in English last names like Williamson.
Yes, I've been making the same point about the name, Kirk, dyed-in-the-wool pedant that I am.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:38 pm

I read it back at the time of its publication and at that time it seemed like a veiled commentary on the rise of the Religious Right in the USA. Now, of course, it is viewed as a germane commentary on the current state of affairs in the US. Plus ça change...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:19 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm Margaret Atwood doesn't actually say how the name should be pronounced, but she did say this in a New York Times essay last year:
Yes, I've been making the same point about the name, Kirk, dyed-in-the-wool pedant that I am.
As demonstrated by your profile pic. :lol:

Anyway, it just feels wrong to break up syllables between consecutive 'f's. It's not buf-falo or cof-fee or of-framp, so good luck convincing people it's -really- of-fred.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:20 am
DBear wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 pm FJ: never heard of her, still don't know who she is.
Of course not. :roll:
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

DBear wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:21 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:20 am
Of course not. :roll:
What I was going to say is "then it's understandable that you've never heard of her". In view of your reply, I don't think I have an appropriate response.