Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:18 pm I’m not a Beatles fan myself but hate? That was weird. Did she say she tried out to be on The Bachelor? I didn’t understand her story. I knew who Charlie Duke was before the choices were given. The guy who cane on after her seems pretty sharp.
She said she watches The Bachelorette with her friend Zach and they heard about the Millionaire auditions while watching the show (and drinking wine)

I was lost at sea with both Charlie Duke and the bicuspids. Yikes!
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

I can't believe someone could walk away on the Charlie Duke question. I had no idea who Charlie Duke was and it's still a really easy question. Obviously people younger than 36 have become billionaires, like Mark Zuckerberg. Even if they kept official records for the youngest person to become a grandfather, do you really think 36 would be the record? If a 16-year old guy has a child who then has a child at 16, boom, you've got a 32 year old grandfather. And the rules allow for 25 year old Congressman, so it'd be a real stretch for no one under 36 to make it.
Jurimetrician
Contributor

Post by Jurimetrician »

Woof wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:32 am I'll just add that my admiration for Chris Harrison as a host continues to grow. He handled Lizzie's comments with great humor and in general manages the delicate balance of businesslike attitude with humorous banter with aplomb.
Can attest to this. In my game of Millionaire, there was a lot left on the cutting room floor (almost all of it for my good -- I got a really kind edit despite how poorly my game went). For example, I exclaimed "Well, fiddlesticks!" at one particularly frustrating point, and after just the right amount of audience laughter, he mock-scolded me, "Language!"

One thing I knew academically but didn't really appreciate until after my game aired is the extent to which the editors can make or break you as a "character," and Mr. Harrison is excellent at generating the raw material for it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

“$50K or bust”

Jacinda Ardern
Spoiler
We didn’t hear any thought process, just what seemed like a completely random guess. I wasn’t sure but I felt pretty good about NZ. Israel was a head scratcher
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:37 pm “$50K or bust”
It's gotten to the point where I just want to slap someone silly whenever they say that.

Tommy's been quite entertaining so far. Here's hoping his luck holds out.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

Spoiler
Mario should have played question 11 of a certain semi-recent TD before answering the Ardern question. ;)

Looking forward to seeing how far Tom can go! I got held up a little on his 30k because a slab of bark sounds familiar, but anyways..
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

threearruda wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:47 am Looking forward to seeing how far Tom can go!
Spoiler
Not a terribly difficult $100K question. My family tree got a little fuzzy, but it wasn't necessary to know who was Indira's son and who was her grandson. Mahatma is not related to Indira, Rajiv or Rahul (Tom's answer)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

For Nicole's +1, George Eliot's real name was Mary Ann Evans.

Would have gotten the $100k question in my sleep. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:08 pm
Spoiler
Not a terribly difficult $100K question. My family tree got a little fuzzy, but it wasn't necessary to know who was Indira's son and who was her grandson. Mahatma is not related to Indira, Rajiv or Rahul (Tom's answer)
Spoiler
And even if you know absolutely nothing on the subject, Mahatma is the most interesting answer, something Millionaire has been trending towards with their $100,000 questions. You come away thinking "Wow! All those Gandhis, and not one of them related to Mahatma?"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Tommy was lots of fun. I'm glad he got a good payday. It does burn a bit to see such an easy $100K, Knew that one cold as well. But then again I had no idea on the $50K, so I may never have gotten there.

OK, grammar experts, who or whom on this one?

Who or Whom.JPG
Who or Whom.JPG (30.23 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I would go with whom.
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:43 am Tommy was lots of fun. I'm glad he got a good payday. It does burn a bit to see such an easy $100K, Knew that one cold as well. But then again I had no idea on the $50K, so I may never have gotten there.

Who or Whom.JPG
That's an awful sentence. How about ending it ...was the brother of which sports star?
I'm no expert, but I know that who is always a subject, whom an object. So since the word is the object of the preposition of, if that's the choice whom is correct...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Stanley: How did Ryan use it, as an object?
Ryan: As an object…
Kelly: Ryan used me as an object.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:43 am Tommy was lots of fun. I'm glad he got a good payday. It does burn a bit to see such an easy $100K, Knew that one cold as well. But then again I had no idea on the $50K, so I may never have gotten there.

Who or Whom.JPG
My Grammar Nazi Editor friend says "whom" quite emphatically.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I'm with you on that $50K question, but I had it down to Joe Louis or Jackie Robinson based solely on name recognition

I saw My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center last night and observed a moment of silence for the player who went home on the question about the Tony nominated role for both Julie Andrews and Lauren Ambrose (since replaced by Laura Benanti). It was Eliza Dolittle, not Miss Hanigan

Now, about Friday's continued game
Spoiler
Like many questions on Millionaire, I did not know this factoid about Singapore but figured the answer was Malaysia based on the proximity of the 2 countries and none of the other 3 answers making any sense. Nicole was right to guess with 2 answers eliminated, but China was the wrong way to go. Too bad!

I will also say I was surprised yesterday that she wasn't sure of the gender of George Eliot, Shirley Jackson* OR Joyce Kilmer. But hey, we all have our blindspots ;)

*I recommend The Haunting of Hill House series on Netflix with reservations
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

That TV sitcom question on Friday was one of the oddest things I've ever seen.

Without the choices it seemed like a good puzzler. Here are the choices:
Spoiler
Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Black-ish, Modern Family, BIg Bang Theory
Spoiler
The guy says he watches 3 of the 4 shows, seemingly doesn't give any thought to the question or how it could apply or not apply to any of them, instead immediately calls down his +1. (Yes I know there is editing, he may have thought longer than it appeared.) The +1 immediately eliminates 3 of the 4 for not having 10 seasons yet, identifies the 4th as having 4 lead male characters and then bizarrely they both get bogged down in trying to figure out which of the female characters it's talking about, seemingly at one point mistaking "maiden name" for "first name", then decide it would be a great idea to ask the audience. Shockingly 92% of the audience did not choose one of the 3 answers they eliminated so suddenly it all became clear...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:44 pm
I'm with you on that $50K question, but I had it down to Joe Louis or Jackie Robinson based solely on name recognition

I saw My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center last night and observed a moment of silence for the player who went home on the question about the Tony nominated role for both Julie Andrews and Lauren Ambrose (since replaced by Laura Benanti). It was Eliza Dolittle, not Miss Hanigan

Now, about Friday's continued game
Spoiler
Like many questions on Millionaire, I did not know this factoid about Singapore but figured the answer was Malaysia based on the proximity of the 2 countries and none of the other 3 answers making any sense. Nicole was right to guess with 2 answers eliminated, but China was the wrong way to go. Too bad!

I will also say I was surprised yesterday that she wasn't sure of the gender of George Eliot, Shirley Jackson* OR Joyce Kilmer. But hey, we all have our blindspots ;)

*I recommend The Haunting of Hill House series on Netflix with reservations

not surprised by that person going with china...many people outside of asia think singapore is part of china...i remember watching the wta finals one year and the american commentator (who was in the booth at the arena) said they were in china...lots of ignorant mofos in the world
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The Penny's last name is a thing, so I'm not surprised the audience got into the 90s with that one.

Had Malaysia instantly. Even if you don't know the history, you should at least know where it is on the map. That doesn't totally eliminate China because of Singapore's high percentage of people with Chinese ethnicity. But if you knew that, you probably knew it was Malaysia in the first place. So just some basic geography would have gotten that one. Given its colonial history, Great Britain wouldn't have been a bad choice, but I wasn't envisioning anyone crying about that.

By now, you probably hear my screams of anguish every time someone says, "I'm just going to go for it!" Disney gets to keep a lot of its money that way.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:26 am The Penny's last name is a thing, so I'm not surprised the audience got into the 90s with that one.

Had Malaysia instantly. Even if you don't know the history, you should at least know where it is on the map. That doesn't totally eliminate China because of Singapore's high percentage of people with Chinese ethnicity. But if you knew that, you probably knew it was Malaysia in the first place. So just some basic geography would have gotten that one. Given its colonial history, Great Britain wouldn't have been a bad choice, but I wasn't envisioning anyone crying about that.

By now, you probably hear my screams of anguish every time someone says, "I'm just going to go for it!" Disney gets to keep a lot of its money that way.
I was planning on $100,000 or bust. I didn’t go there to change my situation, I went there to change my life.

Seeing people go for it is so much better than seeing people walking with $20,000.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:16 am
alietr wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:26 am
I was planning on $100,000 or bust. I didn’t go there to change my situation, I went there to change my life.

Seeing people go for it is so much better than seeing people walking with $20,000.
It's definitely more exciting when players go for it, but I can't fault anyone for walking away, even the woman who did it on the $7K question

I burned all my lifelines early and then hit the wall at $50K with that Sesame Street question. Couldn't eliminate a single answer so I had no choice but to walk away. Just bought myself a fancy Bernina sewing machine, which I wouldn't have done with $5K in prize money

Look at how excited people get when they win Thousandaire!