Friday, November 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OLD WEST

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On October 27, 1881 this town’s local newspaper reported on “a day when blood flowed as water”

Adriana Ciccone: 5800-3201=2599
Elizabeth Goss: 13800-9001=4799 (new champ)
Ben Goldstein: 11400-10000=1400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Tombstone (Adriana – What is?) (Elizabeth – Dodge City) (Ben – Dodge City)

Daily Doubles
Adriana: 800+800
Elizabeth: 6200-3000
Elizabeth: 8000+3000

Coryats
Adriana: 5400
Elizabeth: 15000
Ben: 11400

Combined: 31,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Adriana: 3400
Elizabeth: 5000
Ben: 6600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Jack Lord/Alex O'Loughlin TV character has a lot of combined years on TV and yet the clue went TS. I guess that explains why the TV DETECTIVES was the one not completed.

Another category with the news people getting their 15 seconds of fame in CITIES ACROSS AMERICA. For what? Just to mostly ask basic state capital trivia.

Elizabeth was the opposite of teen Autumn for calling categories and clues as instead of quick staccato selections it was drawn out picks with over-emoting as if trying out for a high school play. Thanks a lot Ben. Or Adriana.

The FJ! clue had me think shootout and immediately write the right place. For think time I never thought of the contestants' wrong place. Instead I thought a possible miss was Deadwood. For a laugh I thought if someone really went off base then Johnstown. :)

If Elizabeth made the cover bet and missed then she would be left at 4799. That's what happened. Did her opponents do anything to stay above that figure? Nope. It's not easy to go 1/3 on big clues in a close game on a TS FJ! clue and get to play again. Elizabeth pulled it off to make it to next week. Overall she was the best on material and buzzer, so fair is fair.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I had "OK Corral" first, followed quickly by Dodge City. Remembered the movie with seconds to spare.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I knew what they were going for, but I'm not terribly thrilled that they're calling an ultralight, which is powered, a type of glider (hang or otherwise), which by definition is not.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 am For a laugh I thought if someone really went off base then Johnstown. :)
I actually considered that for a split second. However, I visited Tombstone back in April, so the date was all I needed.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

If I were the type to wager on FJ outcomes, I'd have lost my shirt. That category, with that date and description of events, a TS!? Maybe I just watched too many westerns as a kid. Instaget the second the date came on the screen.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 am If Elizabeth made the cover bet and missed then she would be left at 4799. That's what happened. Did her opponents do anything to stay above that figure? Nope.
I don't know why I even bother thinking about the wagers during the break.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:35 pm If I were the type to wager on FJ outcomes, I'd have lost my shirt. That category, with that date and description of events, a TS!? Maybe I just watched too many westerns as a kid. Instaget the second the date came on the screen.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 am If Elizabeth made the cover bet and missed then she would be left at 4799. That's what happened. Did her opponents do anything to stay above that figure? Nope.
I don't know why I even bother thinking about the wagers during the break.
Another instaget on the date alone. I have the original Star Trek TV series reruns to thank. One of my favorite episodes: Spectre of the Gun

I was rooting for Elizabeth, so yay to those awful wagers. For once, the only player that knows how to wager isn't penalized for being the only player who knows how to wager.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Two players hurled into eternity in the duration of a moment (the "Gunfighters" volume of Time/Life books' "Old West" series featured a chapter on the shootout, including a repro of the front page of the following day's Tombstone Daily Epitaph).

Btw, I became a fan of Maria Wenglinsky when she got this game's FJ while
Spoiler
incidentally avoiding a nasty spelling trap.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Almost instaget Tombstone. Too bad I switched to Dodge City in another unforced error to give me my first box of shame on the poll. I hate those "first and last" categories but can see the appeal and entertainment value for people who like them.
Where did Adriana go in this game?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

Elizabeth may have over-emoted but at least she knew to pronounce cudgeling as 3 syllables. Alex's reading at the beginning of the game had me wondering what a little cudge is, and how it relates to the Electoral College... :oops:
I wasn't absolutely sure about Tombstone, but I wasn't going for Dodge City, since I almost think of it as a fictional place. We watched a lot of Gunsmoke in my house when I was growing up...
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I guessed Wounded Knee. “Blood flowed like water” made me think of a bloodier conflict than O.K. Corral.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I had the right event in mind, but not the right town.
Ridiculogic

Post by Ridiculogic »

Umm, anybody else annoyed that the photo for the Florence Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore (aka the “Duomo”) DID NOT SHOW THE DUOMO? In fact, it shows the Medici Chapel, which has a similar dome but is an entirely a different color?

Compare Medici Chapel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medici_Chapel) with the actual duomo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Cathedral).

Attached is photo shown on Jeopardy!

It’s just my favorite building in the world, and I was flabbergasted that the writers would show that ugly brown Medici chapel in its stead.
Fake Duomo
Fake Duomo
24CDBA36-3793-4832-AED6-F8E3533097A3.jpeg (212.96 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget FJ. How is this a TS?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got Tombstone right away.

Let's all sing:
Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp
Brave, courageous and bold
Long live his fame
And long live his glory
And long may his story be told!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I disliked the characterization of the 1820 election as Monroe cudgeling J.Q. Adams. Monroe ran for reelection unopposed, and one elector cast a vote for Adams.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

I was rooting for Elizabeth, so yay to those awful wagers. For once, the only player that knows how to wager isn't penalized for being the only player who knows how to wager.
Wagering from first correctly is very common. It’s from 2nd and 3rd where we can fully judge wagering ability.

A in 3rd had a dilemma. “Correct” is to bet it all, but with so many 2nd place players overbetting in this situation, id rather see 0 (or at least stay above Elizabeth’s Cover bet miss).
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

no idea how that was a triple stumper...and i hope this champion is a one and doner...hate people who say the full name of the category and also saying the category when there is only 1 left...time wasters