Friday, November 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 am For a laugh I thought if someone really went off base then Johnstown. :)
I actually considered that for a split second. However, I visited Tombstone back in April, so the date was all I needed.
FWIW My instant reaction was also Johnstown. Maybe there was something in the water (so to speak) to make lots of folks misdirect.

The "blood" part of the clue led me correctly away from the flood and I quickly determined they were referring to the OK Corral. Now to figure whether that was in Dodge, or Tombstone, or someplace else. About halfway through I remembered the film "Tombstone" and managed to get a correct answer.

For the second day in a row a contestant who has done well up to that point just gift-wraps the game and gives it to another contestant with an unthinking FJ wager. *deep sigh*

LT: McGarrett, Robert E. Lee, vivace, St. Paul's Cathedral.

How sad and ironic that we get the clue about the GM Cruze just days after our local area was hit with the terrible news of losing the Lordstown GM plant. I can't imagine what it must be for that entire community.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:49 am I got Tombstone right away.

Let's all sing:
Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp
Brave, courageous and bold
Long live his fame
And long live his glory
And long may his story be told!
How old ARE, you, man!? :shock:
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Knew what event FJ referenced but couldn't pull the town. Went with Dodge City even though it didn't feel right.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

John Boy wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:19 am

Let's all sing:
Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp
Long live his fame
And long live his glory

Younger than Brett Kavanaugh. But Grit TV shows Wyatt Earp.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

51 R (Third day in a row!!!)
DD: 3/3 (And with no hesitation)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Venice), Cinnamon, Cat, Dog, Robert E. Lee, Patrick Henry, Ridley Scott, Stan Lee, Vivace, St. Paul's Cathedral, Church of the Holy Sepulcher

Knew that TV Detectives $2000 was from Hawaii Five-O, but forgot his name. :oops:
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:35 am no idea how that was a triple stumper...and i hope this champion is a one and doner...hate people who say the full name of the category and also saying the category when there is only 1 left...time wasters
People saying the full category name isn't itself a crime, but instead an effect of the crime of writing category titles that players (who ought to be focused on other things) have to take the initiative to shorten in order to complete the round in time.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Do the CCs tell the contestants anything about how to say the category names?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:41 pm Do the CCs tell the contestants anything about how to say the category names?
I think I remember someone on the board saying that it's full name first time, shorten it thereafter.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:41 pm Do the CCs tell the contestants anything about how to say the category names?
No, but they do tell you not to say "same category."

I didn't know the OK Corral was in Tombstone, otherwise I would have put that down. Instead I put Dodge City.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:26 am

Let's all sing:
Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp
Long live his fame
And long live his glory

I assume you mean the horse opera "Gunsmoke". Which pretty much Pavlovs Wyatt Earp to Dodge City. It seems you needed to know about a show named (movie or tv show?) Tombstone to readily shake the Pavlov of Wyatt Earp = Dodge City. I certainly have read quite a bit about the Earp brothers, but made the silly mistake of suspending disbelief and going with Dodge (as in "get out of" :)) City.

Wyatt's life arc was amazing and he wound up in Hollywood and palled around with the early silent film cowboys.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:46 pm
I think I remember someone on the board saying that it's full name first time, shorten it thereafter.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:47 pm No, but they do tell you not to say "same category."
I remember both of those from my auditions: full category name first, abridge later. Also, never use 'same category'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:03 pm
floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:26 am

Let's all sing:
Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp
Long live his fame
And long live his glory

I assume you mean the horse opera "Gunsmoke". Which pretty much Pavlovs Wyatt Earp to Dodge City. It seems you needed to know about a show named (movie or tv show?) Tombstone to readily shake the Pavlov of Wyatt Earp = Dodge City. I certainly have read quite a bit about the Earp brothers, but made the silly mistake of suspending disbelief and going with Dodge (as in "get out of" :)) City.

Wyatt's life arc was amazing and he wound up in Hollywood and palled around with the early silent film cowboys.
Based on the lyrics in his original post I believe he's talking about a '50s TV western called The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp. Which, to be fair, was also set in...Dodge City for a good portion of its run. I assumed after this ep that the conestants had just picked the first Old West town that came to mind, but now I'm wondering if they actually thought of the OK Corral, but mistakenly associated it with Dodge City because of Earp.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Volante wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:04 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:47 pm No, but they do tell you not to say "same category."
I remember both of those from my auditions: full category name first, abridge later. Also, never use 'same category'
plus, each break always ended with a quick reminder from Maggie/Glenn:

"category, dollar amount"
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Ditto with all of the above. John Lauderdale did part of our contestant briefing and rehearsals, and told us before each show while standing at the lecterns, "If the category is 'Planes, Trains, and Automobiles,' ask for 'Planes, Trains, and Automobiles' the first time the category is called. After that, simply call for 'Planes for $XX'. Never ask for 'same category.'"

I think 25% of the contestants during my day's taping immediately forgot.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Jennifer Morrow recently made me aware of Wyatt Earp's connection to Judaism, which surprised the heck out of me and is a fascinating story besides:

Wyatt Earp's Mezuzah
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Unfortunate timing on Medical for $200 right after Hillenburg's death...

Surprisingly, 0/5 in TV Detectives.

I am a church organist and I've NHO "gathering note". I was thrown off course since I, and most other organists I've seen, lead off hymns by playing the last couple stanzas or an introductory stanza of some kind, not just a singular note.

Also only $800 in Animal POV.

Lach Trash: Patrick Henry. I thought "Franklin Pierce" was the easiest.

Once again, no guess on FJ! I somehow clued in on OK Corral but had no idea where it was.