Monday, December 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN BUSINESS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Last name of John, Daniel, Elisha & Edward, whose firm turned 200 in 2018 & has dressed 40 U.S. Presidents

Elizabeth Goss: 16600+11599=28199
Dave Leffler: 17200+16601=33801 (New Champ)
Bernadette Nguyen: 10200-7001=3199

Correct response:
Spoiler
Brooks (Bernadette – Kevlar)

Daily Doubles
Elizabeth: 4400+4000
Elizabeth: 10200+4000
Bernadette: 12200-2000

Coryats
Elizabeth: 10400
Dave: 17200
Bernadette: 12200

Combined: 39,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Elizabeth: 9800
Dave: 4000
Bernadette: 6200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After 12 clues of the DJ! round when Dave negged for $1600 and Elizabeth rebounded it, she led $15,800 ($9400 for Bernadette) over Dave’s $5,600. He closed well including the run of A FILM OF A DIFFERENT COLOR that was worth more of the deficit thanks to Elizabeth missing the $2000 clue before Dave could get in.

Dave was ahead by $1000 with two $400 clues remaining. Put the buzzer down, dude. Nope, one neg tightened the match.

The FJ! clue had me spot Elisha and I wrote Otis before taking the time to take in the rest of the clue. When I realized there was a brotherly connection (what I could not do last week on the Oscars clue) I knew the switch to make.

Relevant clues from the past related to today’s FJ! clue:
Spoiler
#6267, aired 2011-12-13 LONG LIVE THE COMPANY $400: This oldest clothing retailer in the U.S. formed in 1818; the grandchildren, all brothers, took over in 1850
#6195, aired 2011-07-15 THE WARDROBE $1000: Katharine Hepburn had her tailoring done at this fraternal clothing company known for its men's suits
#5824, aired 2009-12-31 THAT AIN'T IN YOUR TYPICAL COUNTRY SONG $400: I never grew up poor / I have no old blue jeans / My suits are all from these siblings' store / In business since 1818
#4928, aired 2006-02-01 "B" IN FASHION $200 (Daily Double): The USA's oldest clothing retailer, this upscale, once family-run business has collared the market on men's apparel since 1818
#4292, aired 2003-04-08 NYC BUSINESS HISTORY $800: Last name of siblings Daniel, John & Elisha, who took over dad's clothing store in 1850
#2757, aired 1996-09-03 FASHION $500: Famous for their seeksucker suits, these New York brothers made the frock coat Lincoln wore to Ford's Theatre
Note: With coverage this week of services and such for Pres. Bush the usual early reports may be delayed here and on TJ!F.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I appreciate the Steely Dan shoutout!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I've said it before - it pays to know your movies. Silver Bullet wasn't a horrible guess, for example, - unless you had seen the movie (which is a great riff on the "mystery on a train" genre). Not to mention that "Blue Bullet" doesn't really make much sense.

But an exciting game with good players.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 pm I appreciate the Steely Dan shoutout!

Explain, for those being pre-empted due to GHWB coverage.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:42 pm
Euphonium wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 pm I appreciate the Steely Dan shoutout!

Explain, for those being pre-empted due to GHWB coverage.
Watching it is an option: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr

THEIR TRIBUTE BAND $800: Nearly Dan does some of this group’s dirty work

For the $2000 in the films it said "Comedy" so the Pryor/Wilder movie is the way to go even though the Stephen King movie has several great laughs including the Peacemaker bat changing hands and a line using the term, "wolfier."
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I think Dave was at my Philadelphia audition in September- I remember a retired cop, and Pittsburgh is a 4 or 5-hour drive away- so he would've gotten The Call very quickly.
Only reasonable guess I had for Final was Van Heusen, which our 40th president did ads for.
Hoping for a third lap
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I'm always a fan of off-the-wall FJ responses that stem from reading clues... creatively. (A few recent responses from this board come to mind.) I enjoyed "Kevlar."

First FJ in a while that I've felt hopeless on but got right by continuing to think. Those are always affirming. Suits aren't my forte, so I felt lucky to get it.

It's nice to play with a post-gym, fresh-endorphin-haze brain. Always feels a little sharper that way. Good set of boards, too. I'm in a Grimm Fairy Tales course at present, so that got my eyes lighting up, though I'm not sure why I clammed on Tom Thumb. Of course, the Grimm version of "The Frog Prince" is called "The Frog King" (I wonder if they'd have accepted that; I imagine they'd have had to) and it is weirder than the version many know:

https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm001.htmll
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Great game all the way around, congrats to Dave on a nice payday. ETA: Agree with above in liking the boards. Felt like a nice challenge and I still managed to score a little higher than my average tonight. Can't complain about that.

Used to live five minutes up the road from the Coolidge Homestead. No way I miss that clue and I'll happily pick up the $2k from the fourth podium.

No plausible guess for Final over here. Headslap upon reveal.
Last edited by threearruda on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Usually, I don't actually watch episodes, and I just play along with FJs and how the players did either on here, or elsewhere online.

But today I was actually able to, for the first time in a long time, before coming in here. Congrats to Dave on the win. A good comeback, and I was rooting for him.

No on FJ for me.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

Lach Trash: Dadaism, Olympic torch, Vermont; Daily Double: Mayo Clinic

When I saw the cover bands category, my first thought was Bjorn Again.

I had no idea for FJ.

I like Dave's facial hair- that and his former occupation remind me of Frank Spangenberg.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:34 pm I've said it before - it pays to know your movies. Silver Bullet wasn't a horrible guess, for example, - unless you had seen the movie (which is a great riff on the "mystery on a train" genre). Not to mention that "Blue Bullet" doesn't really make much sense.

But an exciting game with good players.
i missed one of the movie categories...the first schwarzenegger film that came to mind with red in it was sonja..totally forgot about the belushi cop movie
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Add me to the "no clue for FJ" camp.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:47 pm The FJ! clue had me spot Elisha and I wrote Otis before taking the time to take in the rest of the clue.
Thank you! I didn't even realize why the name Otis popped into my head. That must have been it. Like you, I switched gears easily enough to the correct response.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Brooks Brothers came to mind during FJ, but I got thrown but "Elisha," which I mistakenly thought was a woman's name, and instead went with "Abercrombie."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Saturnalia wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:59 pm I'm always a fan of off-the-wall FJ responses that stem from reading clues... creatively. (A few recent responses from this board come to mind.) I enjoyed "Kevlar."
Sadly, as the clue noted, only 40 presidents were outfitted by the Kevlar brothers. Presidents Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, and Kennedy all declined.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I love fish, but the "barracuda"/Heart TOM flew over my head, and I've NHO lungfish.

Also couldn't think of anything in the kitchen that "pops up" except turkey timer, which I knew was wrong.

Had no idea what a terrapin had to do with the Grateful Dead, nor can I find any tribute band by that name.

Clues just weren't connecting in "Little" either. Couldn't match a sense to "Just a ____ of..." due in part to forgetting that touch is a sense and rejecting smell.

However, I did connect M.D. + Minnesota to Mayo Clinic on the DD.

"Southern Italian City" = ??? I thought that was tough for $400. There are lots of cities in southern Italy and none seems more Pavlovian than the other in that clue.

Mom thought FJ! was easy. I had no clue. The name is utterly unfamiliar to me, and I would not have identified them as a clothier of Presidents, nor a company that is 200 years old.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Wow, a disguised Fashion FJ that I actually got? :o :o :o