Monday, December 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, December 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 pm I love fish, but the "barracuda"/Heart TOM flew over my head, and I've NHO lungfish.

Also couldn't think of anything in the kitchen that "pops up" except turkey timer, which I knew was wrong.

Had no idea what a terrapin had to do with the Grateful Dead, nor can I find any tribute band by that name.

Clues just weren't connecting in "Little" either. Couldn't match a sense to "Just a ____ of..." due in part to forgetting that touch is a sense and rejecting smell.

However, I did connect M.D. + Minnesota to Mayo Clinic on the DD.

"Southern Italian City" = ??? I thought that was tough for $400. There are lots of cities in southern Italy and none seems more Pavlovian than the other in that clue.

Mom thought FJ! was easy. I had no clue. The name is utterly unfamiliar to me, and I would not have identified them as a clothier of Presidents, nor a company that is 200 years old.

i believe brooks brothers is oldest retailer in the country
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Sadly, as the clue noted, only 40 presidents were outfitted by the Kevlar brothers. Presidents Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, and Kennedy all declined.
:shock: :lol:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Elijah Baley wrote: I've said it before - it pays to know your movies. Silver Bullet wasn't a horrible guess, for example, - unless you had seen the movie (which is a great riff on the "mystery on a train" genre). Not to mention that "Blue Bullet" doesn't really make much sense.
I've said it before - It doesn't pay to guess on high dollar clues. Elizabeth should have just stayed clam on that one and it cost her the game.

She also missed a great opportunity to do an Ann Wilson impersonation with "What is bara-CUD-ahh?"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I never got beyond "_____ Brothers" in coming up with a name for FJ. On a different night I might have. So it goes.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:23 pm
Saturnalia wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:59 pm I'm always a fan of off-the-wall FJ responses that stem from reading clues... creatively. (A few recent responses from this board come to mind.) I enjoyed "Kevlar."
Sadly, as the clue noted, only 40 presidents were outfitted by the Kevlar brothers. Presidents Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, and Kennedy all declined.
Don't forget Reagan and Teddy Roosevelt.
DBear wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:41 pm Wow, a disguised Fashion FJ that I actually got? :o :o :o
I'm over here actually shocked at the seemingly low get rate. If I'm thinking a fashion clue is insta...what the heck?! :shock:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

So I guess the name Elisha is pavlov for Otis? I thought I wasn't going to get it and then realized the list of people sharing a last name are brothers - at least it used to be :lol: . I'm surprised at the miss rate, but I still think it will poll 80% when the absentee and mail-in ballots are counted (except for North Carolina's :x ).

It was a nice set of boards and a fun game even though it is sad to see lowball wagering on DD's when you are in a competitive game. It's a lot easier to win money in chunks on one question than to fight for small stakes.

That is one fugly 'stache. I think we'll be seeing it for a few days.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

mxc_takeshi wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:06 pm I like Dave's facial hair- that and his former occupation remind me of Frank Spangenberg.
I also thought of Frank when I first saw Dave. Thinking he could be the bald Frank Spangenberg. Can he also match him in terms of Jeopardy success? I'll be hoping so.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got FJ, but the boards seemed hard to me. Seemed like I flat-out didn't know or answered wrong on quite a few clues.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:56 am it is sad to see lowball wagering on DD's when you are in a competitive game. It's a lot easier to win money in chunks on one question than to fight for small stakes.
Elizabeth's $4,000s were refreshing, even if they fell short. (She had $4,400 for the first one; before her second one Alex said, "You have a $4,000 lead" and she made that her wager. Imagine if she had gone TDD on the first one, then Alex said, "You have a $4,400 lead" before her second one and she took that as her cue. She would have made $800 more, and as it actually played out she was $600 off the lead before FJ.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

JayK33 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:35 am
mxc_takeshi wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:06 pm I like Dave's facial hair- that and his former occupation remind me of Frank Spangenberg.
I also thought of Frank when I first saw Dave. Thinking he could be the bald Frank Spangenberg. Can he also match him in terms of Jeopardy success? I'll be hoping so.
I'm glad to see it wasn't just me making the Spangenberg connection. That's a most distinctive moustache look that I've never seen since the last time Frank was on. And oh, yeah, Dave kinda played like the kind of powerhouse Frank was as well.

The "mira" category was interesting to me. It was just challenging enough that I might have run the category if I had 5-6 seconds for each clue. I couldn't pull the trigger as fast as these contestants did, though.

I know "Fauvism" is Pavlovian for Matisse, and I even used to have a Matisse print hanging in my house, and still couldn't dredge up the name Matisse for the Fauvism clue. The old brain is slowly turning to mush.

Congrats to the new champ. I'll be interested to watch his first defense tonight.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 pmHad no idea what a terrapin had to do with the Grateful Dead, nor can I find any tribute band by that name.
That's because you're not a Deadhead.

One of their better known albums is Terrapin Station. And since there are about 420 Dead cover bands, the odds are good there's one called Terrapin.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... tation.jpg
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

astrohip wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:28 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 pmHad no idea what a terrapin had to do with the Grateful Dead, nor can I find any tribute band by that name.

One of their better known albums is Terrapin Station. And since there are about 420 Dead cover bands, the odds are good there's one called Terrapin.
I still can't believe I lost my copy of Terrapin Station signed by Jerry, Bobby, and Donna.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 am

I still can't believe I lost my copy of Terrapin Station signed by Jerry, Bobby, and Donna.
If only you could remember where you saw it last. There is such a thing as State Dependent Memory. You know what you have to do.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:33 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 am
If only you could remember where you saw it last. There is such a thing as State Dependent Memory. You know what you have to do.
I lent it to someone in my dorm. Someone I thought I trusted, and I asked every I knew who I remotely trusted. Given the number of years that have elapsed, I don't have much hope on this one.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Only missing Load-Bearing Wall and the bottom two in Movies of a Different Color)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: Pope, Dadaism, Henri Matisse, (Mayo Clinic), Vermont, Olympic Torch

I have definitely come across Brooks Brothers a couple of times but easily escaped me since Business is not a category that interests me.

Final Jeopardy! streak ends at a whopping 56. :D
Douglas Squasoni
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:45 pm Final Jeopardy! streak ends at a whopping 56. :D

This is undoubtedly the greatest 56-game streak in history.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:55 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:56 am it is sad to see lowball wagering on DD's when you are in a competitive game. It's a lot easier to win money in chunks on one question than to fight for small stakes.
Elizabeth's $4,000s were refreshing, even if they fell short. (She had $4,400 for the first one; before her second one Alex said, "You have a $4,000 lead" and she made that her wager. Imagine if she had gone TDD on the first one, then Alex said, "You have a $4,400 lead" before her second one and she took that as her cue. She would have made $800 more, and as it actually played out she was $600 off the lead before FJ.)
I concur, I only remembered the winning shot Bernadette had and it was an easy clue. Elizabeth's were indeed a nice high value, but because of her lead, didn't have the go-for-broke vibe, and I kind of forgot about them. They also weren't potential game changers like Bernadette's was. I am usually not a wagering nazi for DDs but I like to see high paydays kick Sony's butt, and Dave accomplished that!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:01 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:45 pm Final Jeopardy! streak ends at a whopping 56. :D

This is undoubtedly the greatest 56-game streak in history.
:lol: . Only if LSV comes back with at least a 16 game streak after the Ofer like Joltin' Joe did.

I am sitting on a one game streak - if tfb and LSV join forces it continues at 57! (and runs until an LSV fail :roll: )
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

astrohip wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:28 am there are about 420 Dead cover bands, the odds
I see what you did there.

LOL, just LOL at Kevlar being 200 years old. At40 presidents being clad in it.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... tation.jpg
And there's a pot shop in Denver with that name as well... 8-)