LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by RJRouge »

Those are actually the only two I got right. :lol:
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I watched season 1 of 'Broadchurch' on Netflix but couldn't dredge up the name yesterday. Whitechurch would have been a better name anyhow.

Lost to a six-pack from my LL nemesis.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:24 am Yesterday's pewter question was one I recognized as something I'd previously gotten wrong, and I had two answers in mind. I was pretty sure that one was the right answer, and the other was the wrong answer I gave the last time it was asked. I didn't know which was which. I wrote tin, then changed to lead.
Objects like cups and trays are made out of pewter. You can't drink from lead, let alone lift it because of how heavy it would be.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Would it have helped any of you if I had mentioned over in the current events thread that Olivia Colman, who plays Queen Anne in The Favourite, also starred in Broadchurch?

Talked myself out of Boeing, the obvious answer, because apparently I’ve learned nothing in 5 or 6 seasons of Learned League. Same with Guangzhou, but I lost exactly zero points on that question. Lost 8(4)-9(6) so really the best I could have done was tie, and that on a day when I got both the film and TV questions right
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I had no idea Boeing was no longer HQed in the Pacific Northwest. United was the best I could do for an aeronautics company based in Chicago.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The tribes reminded me of one of my favorite J! moments when Chuck Forrest hit a DD that wanted 2 of them. After Chuck named 2 Alex of course was ready to name the rest. With a sly smile Chuck joined in to name the other three as well.

Gracepoint vs. Broadchurch? Anna Gunn is no Olivia Colman.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:03 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:24 am Yesterday's pewter question was one I recognized as something I'd previously gotten wrong, and I had two answers in mind. I was pretty sure that one was the right answer, and the other was the wrong answer I gave the last time it was asked. I didn't know which was which. I wrote tin, then changed to lead.
Objects like cups and trays are made out of pewter. You can't drink from lead, let alone lift it because of how heavy it would be.
Au contraire. Leaded glass was used for centuries for decanters and stemware. Yes, it's a colossally bad idea, but is it any more misguided than lead water pipes? Some pewters do indeed have some lead in them; others have silver, but tin is the major component.

Yesterday, the chickens came home to roost with one of my worst days ever on LL. Talked myself out of Boeing, thinking that they were HQ'd in Seattle and also out of Guangdong.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:39 am
alietr wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:03 am
Au contraire. Leaded glass was used for centuries for decanters and stemware. Yes, it's a colossally bad idea, but is it any more misguided than lead water pipes? Some pewters do indeed have some lead in them; others have silver, but tin is the major component.
Yes, but the question asked which element comprises 85-99% of the alloy. That's a lot different than leaded glass. And yeah, lead water pipes was a really dumb idea.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I lived in Canton, Michigan, for more than 30 years. The township, which was created in the 1830s, was named for Canton, China. The adjoining township was named for Nanking, but renamed for the Westland shopping mall and incorporated as a city in the 1950s.

Earlier this year, I suggested to a friend that we start a movement to rename Canton Township "Guangzhou". Tongue-in-cheek, of course.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RJRouge wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:22 am Boy, was I right about that. Not only did I lose first place, but I had my worst day yet, only getting 2 questions right. Yesterday was brutal. For instance, I've never even heard of the Fox TV show nor its original British counterpart.
I agree. I got three right. Likewise have never heard of either of those TV shows and was shocked that over 40% knew that one. I'm flabbergasted that lots of people think this season has been easier than normal. It's been a disaster for me. after yesterday's 3(3)-4(3) loss I'm now dead last in my rundle. Maybe a trip down to B wouldn't be so bad...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:24 pm
RJRouge wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:22 am Boy, was I right about that. Not only did I lose first place, but I had my worst day yet, only getting 2 questions right. Yesterday was brutal. For instance, I've never even heard of the Fox TV show nor its original British counterpart.
I agree. I got three right. Likewise have never heard of either of those TV shows and was shocked that over 40% knew that one. I'm flabbergasted that lots of people think this season has been easier than normal. It's been a disaster for me. after yesterday's 3(3)-4(3) loss I'm now dead last in my rundle. Maybe a trip down to B wouldn't be so bad...
How easy/hard the season is playing has nothing to do with the variance that sends some players to the top of their rundle and others to the bottom. You're exactly two questions short of your career rate, not exactly a disaster in the answering questions department. Your TCA is just slightly below average in the Rundle, it's being 1st in CAA that is the biggest problem. That's my usual spot but for once I'm having some luck with people not getting everything right, even got a forfeit win for the first time in A.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Clearly someone is going to lead in CAA. But I just looked at how I was doing, and I've played a lot of people who are at the top of the standings, and very few near the bottom. I'm guessing that's part of what's boosted my CAA (I was 2nd, now I'm down to 5th). So it might just be strength of schedule so far.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:43 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:24 pm
How easy/hard the season is playing has nothing to do with the variance that sends some players to the top of their rundle and others to the bottom. You're exactly two questions short of your career rate, not exactly a disaster in the answering questions department. Your TCA is just slightly below average in the Rundle, it's being 1st in CAA that is the biggest problem. That's my usual spot but for once I'm having some luck with people not getting everything right, even got a forfeit win for the first time in A.
Yes, that's definitely the problem and with any luck that high CAA in the first half of the season should revert to the mean (or at least head in that direction) for the remainder of the season. But this just seems like one of those seasons where I can't catch a break.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:04 am I had no idea Boeing was no longer HQed in the Pacific Northwest. United was the best I could do for an aeronautics company based in Chicago.
Without the Chicago bit, I bet more people would have gotten it, including me. I knew it in 2001 (I checked).

Full 3-12-2001 DJ! scorecard here, for the curious.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was 6 for 6 yesterday!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Count me as another one who thought Boeing but was thrown off by the Chicago bit.

I had a dilemma on the question on A Star is Born. I knew the year and the plot were right but was not familiar with the names of the actors, and despite my ignorance of film I thought that I would have at least heard of the names of the actors that are in the film, so I was afraid that it was a trick question. My opponent was weak in film and if it was correct then it would probably play easy with all the press that the remake recently got. My opponent was also better in the other categories that the questions were in, but they seemed objectively harder. I assigned them a 2 on A Star is Born, they got it right, I got it right myself for lack of any other guesses, and I escaped with a 3(2)-2(2) win. And I am really surprised that the leaguewide get rate on A Star is Born was not higher.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:39 amYesterday, the chickens came home to roost with one of my worst days ever on LL.
You couldn't have saved that for today? C'mon, do a guy a favor.

Had both Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre typed in that order for a while, then reversed them despite Moor pointing me to Bronte because Thornfield Hall was ringing a Jane Eyre bell--no idea why, I've never read it--and then the moment before submitting, I switched them back because of Moor. Probably I'm thinking of Hardy's The Return of the Native, another classic I could barely get through as a HS sophomore. Cost me a tie and a point I could have used.

Can't quite believe you gave me 1 for analytical engine, or that I somehow pulled both that and St. Kitts and Nevis, which I'd always heard in reverse, and still lost. Nicely played, Mark.

I'd say I've hit bottom, except I landed there on MD2 and haven't moved.
Woof wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:39 amTalked myself out of Boeing, thinking that they were HQ'd in Seattle...
I knew Boeing cold. Anyone who's played my first VJ (RIP) board knows why.
In and out of the pool four times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

reddpen wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 am Had both Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre typed in that order for a while, then reversed them despite Moor pointing me to Bronte because Thornfield Hall was ringing a Jane Eyre bell--no idea why, I've never read it--and then the moment before submitting, I switched them back because of Moor. Probably I'm thinking of Hardy's The Return of the Native, another classic I could barely get through as a HS sophomore. Cost me a tie and a point I could have used.
Both the novels you considered are Brontë novels (albeit from different ones). (I considered them both too, with "Moor" pointing me in the Wuthering direction as well, but ultimately let the word "Institution" make me think of Jane Eyre's madwoman in the attic, which was fortuitous since Lowood Institution was an orphanage.)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:24 am My other frustration was having Boeing be the only company that sounded reasonable as being founded in 1916 and formerly having the name Pacific Aero Products, but being completely in the dark about their HQ's move to Chicago.
Me too, and I also considered Wrigley, but I went with Willis, as the location sounded close (at least, I know the Sears Tower is west of most of the important things in Chicago), and I thought the point might be "most of you know the Sears Tower is now the Willis Tower, but how many know what' Willis' is?" (not I, alas).

Anyway, I was thinking I'd next post to this thread with another weekly recap, but having just had I believe my worst ever non-forfeiting daily performance (0[1]), let me get it out of the way now. I'd only ever half read Jane Eyre or perhaps it was less than half, so said Wuthering Heights. I thought the mention of Columbus was a hint to pick the Spanish-sounding island pair over St. Kitts and Nevis (that is, Antigua and Barbuda. Clearly Trinidad and Tobago aren't going to be the smallest). I'd read about the missionary, but not in a learnedleague mode (though "Sentinelese" really ought to have stuck), I'd have been ready had they asked for "Babbage Machine" or "Ada Lovelace" instead, and I knew that a "ruff" was something in some card game.
I'm smart and I want respect.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I'm amazed that 50% of people knew Sentinelese. I immediately put a 3 on this for both my opponents, only for both to miss questions but not that one.

Congrats Llamadom! Impressive knowledge.

Conversely, I'm surprised at how few knew analytical engine (or the almost coin flip wrong answer of difference engine) - together only 22%. I thought Babbage's engines were trivia chestnuts.

I don't understand people I guess.