Wednesday, December 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAMES IN AMERICAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1999 the U.S. Government was ordered to pay his family $16 million for less than 30 seconds of film

Dave Leffler: 21500+6101=27601 (3X = $81,202)
Amy David: 2600-0=2600
Brian Panulla: 13800+7701=21501

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Abraham) Zapruder (Amy – Katze Ball [her cat])

Daily Doubles
Dave: minus 200+500 (Would have been 1800 if a clue reversal had happened prior to chat time as the neg happened prior to the DD)
Dave: 6300+3200
Brian: 13600-7000

Coryats
Dave: 19000
Amy: 2600
Brian: 20800

Combined: 42,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dave: 5900
Amy: 3000
Brian: 7600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

COMET $1000 was double credit with Dave negged, Brian rebounding, and Dave later getting the reversal. The reversal did not happen until chat so Dave only had minus 200 in front of him for DD1 while his score could have been 1800 at that point.

Brian went big for the lead on DD3 on clue 22. Nope, he did not know the not uncommon author/tale match.

The only drama once the FJ! clue was revealed was spelling or someone trying to be a hero and having the wrong first name. There was no way I could miss it since I own this book:
Spoiler
Nice win by Dave to hit the tracker and Mary Ann Borer (plus other bubbling 4xers) might need some hex magic working tomorrow to avoid a slip.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I bombed the "Q" pid cateory, which is weird. Also didn't recognize anything in Dancer.

Ran the Vixen category, however.

Yet again I fail to discern between Sawyer/Finn. To be fair, the contestants did too.

In DJ!, I recognized nothing in the TV Role category. "Blacklist" in particular felt undervalued.

"Film" had me stuck on actors and unable to budge. Nothing came to mind at all.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I was rooting for Amy for being from Indiana but I took a shining to Brian after his interview. He just had lots of charm.
A bit disapointed in his wager though, as he had nothing to lose by putting $8599 up for Final, or even 11,200 if he felt confident.

Instaget on Zapruder.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I wonder how success on this FJ breaks down by age? I can tell you that I had never heard of the Zapruder film growing up; I never studied JFK in school or anything, and when I would talk about the assassination with my parents, his name never came up. It is one of those things that may be etched in your mind more if you *lived through all that*...

As it was, I got to the right answer, but only after getting hung up on Elian Gonzalez for a while first. I imagined that the images of the raid were traumatic enough that somebody was ordered to pay damages, or something. I could see that happening, but it's quite a stretch for an FJ clue in that category and you have to squint to make the pieces fit (and the dates are a bit off).

I wonder how he's doing...

No fan of the DJ categories today. I guess I'll have to suck it up and learn some more about archaeology! :mrgreen:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rough night for Brian. That $7000 Jack London miss made all the difference.

I was hoping Amy would start hip-checking the guys to throw them off their game. Time to get rough! I misheard her during the interview as saying that she and her teammates had tried to come up with a "dirty" name for Alex. Realized pretty quickly she had said "derby".

I'm still enjoying Dave and glad we'll see him again. He reminds both me and the missus of Nick Offerman (Ron Swanson on Parks and Rec). The voice and mannerisms are similar, but it's mostly the smile. The cheeks go up in a certain way. We get a kick out of it every time it happens.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Saturnalia wrote: I wonder how success on this FJ breaks down by age? I can tell you that I had never heard of the Zapruder film growing up; I never studied JFK in school or anything, and when I would talk about the assassination with my parents, his name never came up. It is one of those things that may be etched in your mind more if you *lived through all that*...
I was thinking about the same thing myself. I feel it was very 'generational'. Baby boomers should scoop this clue up handily, but Gen Xers are going to have it a little tough unless they happen to be history geeks. Millennials are in the TPH league on this one.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I had to root for Brian after that bitchin' DD clue out of a low value box. Is it a given that the position of the DD's matches the typical difficulty for the row? Empirically, I haven't observed that, except maybe the bottom row is consistently harder.

I don't know what kind of poop trail a comet leaves behing, but I knew the reversal was coming cuz you don't have plasma without ions. (deleted stupid explanation) I'm surprised it wasn't already on the card as an acceptable answer.

+80K in 3 days! Dave needs to let the other players get closer so he can win more with the safe bet from first.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The thing is, I have heard of the Zapruder film. It just didn't come to me because "film" had me stuck on actors and not knowing which way to take the clue.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

This Gen Xer got Zapruder. Couldn't think of any other guess, really. Yesterday I got a fashion FJ & today I get a film FJ. This isn't normal... :?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I'm usually excited to learn new things but tonight I learned the correct pronunciation of "Quixotic" and continued ignorance would be preferred.

Most things called out as "neg-bait" are mislabeled but the clue with Amy and Jonah was definitely neg-bait for Superstore. Superstore is a popular prime time sitcom, the main characters are named Amy and Jonah, and that's exactly the kind of banter that occurs.

Zapruder was an easy answer. Baby boomers might have an advantage for that response but it should poll high for people of all ages. I learned about it when it was taught in 11th grade american history.

Dave's doing really well and it will be fun to watch him play again tomorrow.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:47 pm
Saturnalia wrote: I wonder how success on this FJ breaks down by age? I can tell you that I had never heard of the Zapruder film growing up; I never studied JFK in school or anything, and when I would talk about the assassination with my parents, his name never came up. It is one of those things that may be etched in your mind more if you *lived through all that*...
I was thinking about the same thing myself. I feel it was very 'generational'. Baby boomers should scoop this clue up handily, but Gen Xers are going to have it a little tough unless they happen to be history geeks. Millennials are in the TPH league on this one.
I'm either a Millennial or Gen-X (whichever benefits the sociologist's argument...) and it was down halfway during the reading.
And then again as I remembered my "light pen" doesn't start working until Alex finishes.

I'm probably not typical, though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

An interesting game today with Dave getting a real challenge from Brian. I don't fault Brian for his big DD wager, but it was unfortunate for him that he couldn't pull Jack London. I was pulling for Amy since she's essentially a co-worker (albeit one unknown to me until tonight), but she was up against two formidable players. I was also glad to see the reversal on Dave's plasma response since that's what I had, too :mrgreen: Dave does nothing to hurt himself as a rule, and played a very solid game tonight, but with a bit of luck Brian could have been in the lead going into FJ with quite a different outcome. I got FJ, but spent most of Think Music trying to think of any other 30-second film that could be an answer.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I bet if the Jack London DD said “Seattle” Brian would’ve gotten it. I was rooting for the champ anyway so I was relieved when he missed it. I don’t usually watch the game after the winner is revealed but I did tonight & the woman seemed odd. She didn’t shake the winner’s band & seemed dismissive of Alex. Anyway, easy FJ after missing the last 4 in a row 😢 so yay for me.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:20 pm I wonder how success on this FJ breaks down by age? I can tell you that I had never heard of the Zapruder film growing up; I never studied JFK in school or anything, and when I would talk about the assassination with my parents, his name never came up. It is one of those things that may be etched in your mind more if you *lived through all that*...
I was a freshman in high school when the legal case referenced in the clue took place. I distinctly remember it being a story of some significance at the time, and I even more distinctly remember consequently making a reference to it in an English class assignment in which we were asked to create our own version of Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire." Which, in turn, I remember because it caught the attention of a girl in my group whom I had a bit of a crush on, leading to my first romantic relationship.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think it's probably pretty easy for Gen Xers, most of us having seen Oliver Stone's JFK. I haven't seen it since it came out, but I'm presuming the Zapruder film was mentioned by name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:15 am
I think it's probably pretty easy for Gen Xers, most of us having seen Oliver Stone's JFK. I haven't seen it since it came out, but I'm presuming the Zapruder film was mentioned by name.
Kevin Costner's Jim Garrison says the name in the Stone (One viewing is not enough) movie. One thing I like to do in such cases is a Google search for the movie script and once there to bring up a search box (CTRL+F does it). From there it's easy to scroll through to see the different mentions.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:40 pm
I'm either a Millennial or Gen-X (whichever benefits the sociologist's argument...) and it was down halfway during the reading.
And then again as I remembered my "light pen" doesn't start working until Alex finishes.
Yours might not, but you can use the show's ones as soon as the clue is revealed (and I suspect they do before that too, but TPTB will probably stop you if you try in between the wagering and the clue reveal).

I got Zapruder, and I was born almost 20 years after the Kennedy assassination. Someone younger than me getting it would be less shocking to me than, say, Teen Tournament champion Amanda Goad getting Bruno Hauptmann in her ToC.