LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by StevenH »

Current events are my worst category, but I knew Sentinelese (and actually put "North Sentinelese") and was rewarded with a 3. It was such a big story, though I have been fascinated by North Sentinel island for awhile and might not have remembered the name of the tribe if not for the geography connection.

I lost out on the coin flip between Antigua and Barbuda and St. Kitts and Nevis. I really thought that the former would be smaller and thought that I vaguely remembered hearing that Columbus went there. I also considered Trinidad and Tobago and also thought that I remembered reading that Columbus went there, but I was fairly confident that it was larger than the other two.

I won 4(2)-1(2). I am still on pace for my worst ever TCA, but sit in second in my rundle with still only one loss, the 8th fewest TCA, and the best defensive percentage.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

StevenH wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:12 am Current events are my worst category, but I knew Sentinelese (and actually put "North Sentinelese") and was rewarded with a 3. It was such a big story, though I have been fascinated by North Sentinel island for awhile and might not have remembered the name of the tribe if not for the geography connection.

I lost out on the coin flip between Antigua and Barbuda and St. Kitts and Nevis. I really thought that the former would be smaller and thought that I vaguely remembered hearing that Columbus went there. I also considered Trinidad and Tobago and also thought that I remembered reading that Columbus went there, but I was fairly confident that it was larger than the other two.

I won 4(2)-1(2). I am still on pace for my worst ever TCA, but sit in second in my rundle with still only one loss, the 8th fewest TCA, and the best defensive percentage.
Ugh. I read that story but couldn’t have come up with Sentinelese if you had a gun to my head. I went with you on Antigua and Barbuda, also got 2 right, and got my FIRST win of the season: 4(2)-3(3)
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

Maybe Thorsten is reading all these posts here and other places about how easy this season has been. Wow, I got crushed by the set of questions yesterday. I only got Shoot the Moon, as Hearts was and is a go-to card game for me and friends/family and was a game I had on my ipod in years past. I also lost the Koin flip on St. Kitts/Nevis v. Antigua/Barbuda as I remembered the low population talk during the hurricane last summer when Barbuda was evacuated completely. Lit is my worst category and British lit is easily my lowest lit knowledge as I always found those books extremely boring in HS. I did consider Jane Eyre but I lump that in with the Jane Austen books which I thought were written earlier (like late 1700s). I'd heard of Levant, but not in any real context, and while I am aware of Babbage I'd never really heard of his machines. I went with Turing as I thought maybe his enigma device was based on a Babbage design. Fortunately for me, my opponent forfeited.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:50 am I only got Shoot the Moon, as Hearts was and is a go-to card game for me and friends/family and was a game I had on my ipod in years past.
Also Windows XP. That's where I learned it from.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

All those nights I played Hearts in college weren't misspent after all.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:38 am Both the novels you considered are Brontë novels (albeit from different ones). (I considered them both too, with "Moor" pointing me in the Wuthering direction as well, but ultimately let the word "Institution" make me think of Jane Eyre's madwoman in the attic, which was fortuitous since Lowood Institution was an orphanage.)
An orphanage? Well, then I also got the right answer for the wrong reason via the same thought process. Lucky us.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"St. Kitts" is a shortening of "Saint Christopher," and I decided to take the full-name reference to Christopher Columbus as a hint in that direction instead of agonizing over which Caribbean "and" country to choose.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

4 correct but my defense is horrid. I knew Shoot the Moon as an eighties movie and we went to St. Kitts last June on a cruise. Beautiful island!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Judging from my opponents’ results, I wasn’t the only person who found yesterday on the more difficult side. I don’t know which I find most galling: that I misremembered the name of the performing arts Centre, getting it wrong by one letter, or forgetting that the Venus de Milo is almost 7’ tall and instead overlooking the rather obvious fact that the Winged Victory of Samothrace is a statue of bloody Nike. :oops:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Over 50% came up with the D&D answer? I knew the Llamas were a nerdy group, but wow...
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Did everyone overthink the Milo question?

Louvre + Aphrodite sculpture = Venus de Milo. Milo must be the island.

I lost to a 9(5) because I gave this question a zero. I guess I would have lost to a 9(6) if my opponent got it... but that just feels inevitable instead of being bad defense on my part.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am Over 50% came up with the D&D answer? I knew the Llamas were a nerdy group, but wow...
The alignment chart's big for memes.
https://www.themarysue.com/best-alignment-charts/
https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/alignment-chart-meme/

I wouldn't have gotten it on D&D knowledge alone
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:21 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am Over 50% came up with the D&D answer? I knew the Llamas were a nerdy group, but wow...
The alignment chart's big for memes.
https://www.themarysue.com/best-alignment-charts/
https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/alignment-chart-meme/

I wouldn't have gotten it on D&D knowledge alone
Huh. I wasn't familiar with that meme.

Also not sure knowledge if it points to Llamas being more or less nerdy than simply knowing it from playing D&D. Probably a wash. :)
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I'd have expected anyone in LL would be plenty nerdy enough to know D&D alignments. Maybe I just hang with a a really stereotypical crowd.

This also goes to show just how, despite all being trivia buffs, we can see different things as being more or less difficult. I had one of my best sets with this one, only missing the concert hall (guessing Royal Albert instead). I was completely unfamiliar with the name of that venue and even the term "brutalist architecture."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:10 pm I had one of my best sets with this one, only missing the concert hall (guessing Royal Albert instead). I was completely unfamiliar with the name of that venue and even the term "brutalist architecture."
I missed that one, too. I figured it was going to be something I'd heard of, but gotta say Barbican doesn't ring any bells. 19% get rate means it was a pretty difficult question.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:04 pm
RJRouge wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:10 pm I had one of my best sets with this one, only missing the concert hall (guessing Royal Albert instead). I was completely unfamiliar with the name of that venue and even the term "brutalist architecture."
I missed that one, too. I figured it was going to be something I'd heard of, but gotta say Barbican doesn't ring any bells. 19% get rate means it was a pretty difficult question.
Opponent had only missed 1 theater question, but I should have intuited this was too hard for the 0. I thought it might be something obvious I couldn't think of. Gave up a 6(5)-7(4) loss in what continues to be my worst season in years.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Not one, but two questions with a 10% get rate?!? What was Thorsten thinking? I really didn't think I was escaping with a victory with only 3 right. Pleasant surprise to wake up to. And what the ^&%&)! is cup stacking?!? Seriously?!? And he thought this was worth a question? I can't believe I even wasted time trying to think of a plausible answer for that one (and I spent way too much). Plus I saw DHK lost to a 9(6), which I find to be um, unusual, since there wasn't a single other 9(6) in all of the other matches I track, including among my friends on there.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Somehow I guessed cup stacking : I was looking for newish 'sports' with CS initials and hit on it. The number pattern could have been related to the size of the stacks ( I really know nothing about it), so it was worth a shot.

I knew Achebe as an author from Nigeria, and I knew Fugard as a playwright from Africa. With no expectation of either being right, I went with the latter.

I'm now in a 5 game losing streak, and 8-game non-winning streak, despite having my best season ever for correct answers (averaging 5 right in that streak). LL is weird.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I'd like to know how many people who got Wole Soyinka correct have been in the league long enough to remember the last time Thorsten asked about him (LL61 D20 Q2 - https://learnedleague.com/question.php?61&20&2). Q% of 11% back then, so at least he's consistently obscure.

I will say the only reason I got this right was because of the previous question (I said Chinua Achebe the last time).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:46 am I'd like to know how many people who got Wole Soyinka correct have been in the league long enough to remember the last time Thorsten asked about him (LL61 D20 Q2 - https://learnedleague.com/question.php?61&20&2). Q% of 11% back then, so at least he's consistently obscure.

I will say the only reason I got this right was because of the previous question (I said Chinua Achebe the last time).
I was trying to come up with Achebe and couldn't, so I had no hope in the first place.