Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD AFFAIRS 2018

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An Arab League Summit final statement rejected “interference” by this country often mistakenly called an Arab land itself

Dave Leffler: 18000+900=18900 (4x = $100,102)
Samir Patel: 5200+2201=7401
Pat Berwick: 7400-301=7099

Correct response:
Spoiler
Iran (Pat – Russia)

Daily Doubles
Samir: 400+1000
Dave: 10800+3000
Dave: 15400+2600

Coryats
Dave: 14800
Samir: 4800
Pat: 7400

Combined: 27,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dave: 2000
Samir: 2400
Pat: 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was fortunate that WAKA got the airing in before coverage of today's service.

Ouch on 7 clues not seen today.

That was one ugly J! round as the players were slow to get untracked. MAN OF THE CENTURY is the kind of category that almost always leads to multiple wrong guesses with players off 100 years or so here and there.

No one knows Nate Archibald's nickname? :cry: One of the greats.

The more surprising stumper was China's number of time zones unknown. It's one of those trivia nuggets that will stick when you learn it yet tougher to guess without the proper knowledge.

The FJ! category looked like it was telling me what I could do with my dream of a perfecto for the week. The clue was guess time and I missed.

I was playing the rejection game kind of from a west to east as I dismissed Israel, Palestine, Lebanon & Jordan. I wrote Syria to get something written. Saudi Arabia was the last place I got to for thinking, nope can't be. I was getting towards the right area though not nearly quickly enough.

Nice by the gentlemen to make it 2/3.

It was kind of funny that Pat rewrote her response to make it more legible and then Dave did the same thing.

The TOC list is getting filled up with 4x & above winners plus tournament winners. The cuts are going to be more and more difficult as players are eliminated throughout this season.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I went north with Turkey. Current events not my thing anymore.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Did it seem like there was an edit before Alex revealed the FJ! category?

On the Disney clock clue, I saw no way to narrow down which Dwarf would be swinging above the other 6. That was a garbage clue. Can we poll it?

Another terrible DJ! board for me. Literary? Religion? Art? Mountains? No way.

Just from the category, I knew I would have no clue what to even guess.

Lach Trash: China = one time zone
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I"m kinda with TPH on the dwarfs clue. If you've never seen the clock, is there any reason to pick one dwarf over any other?
Jasper
Contributor

Post by Jasper »

Dave Leffler's response "What is Daylight Savings Time?" is grammatically ambiguous. It is more properly Daylight Saving Time or Daylight Time.

The late William Safire, who at the time wrote the NY Times column On Language, addressed this in 1986: https://www.nytimes.com/1986/04/27/maga ... -come.html.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm I"m kinda with TPH on the dwarfs clue. If you've never seen the clock, is there any reason to pick one dwarf over any other?
I forget the exact wording now, but I remember that the clue implied a carefree, fun-loving attitude, which led me right away to Dopey even though I've never seen the clock either.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

"mistakenly called an Arab land" is Pavlovian for Iran to me. Really, no one knew China is all the same time zone? :o
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:31 pm I went north with Turkey. Current events not my thing anymore.
Nor mine.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I started with Turkey but then thought that the long term Sunni-Shia conflicts made Iran a more likely guess and plus they're Persian.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:13 pm
Foretopman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm I"m kinda with TPH on the dwarfs clue. If you've never seen the clock, is there any reason to pick one dwarf over any other?
I forget the exact wording now, but I remember that the clue implied a carefree, fun-loving attitude, which led me right away to Dopey even though I've never seen the clock either.
Seconded. None of the others would seem like the sort to -swing- on a clock. (Come on: Bashful, Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy. Happy would be satisfied just watching it, not actively participating.)

I...just didn't process FJ at all. Long day... A very scribbled 'Israel' was my answer, and it was more just to have something.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 pm "mistakenly called an Arab land" is Pavlovian for Iran to me.
That's why I went with Iran. The rest of the clue was noise.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I didn't realize that being Persian and Arab was not a thing. But, I got Iran for FJ thanks to an opinion column carried in our local paper by John Crisp TODAY:
Spoiler
https://www.joplinglobe.com/opinion/col ... 1350c.html ;
Excerpt: But Trump’s preference for Saudi Arabia over Iran is shortsighted. His administration is unlikely to understand in a meaningful way the long-time rivalry between these antagonists, one Shia and Persian, the other Sunni and Arab.
After going 0fer last week, the fates have me at 4/4, just waiting for the blunder tomorrow.

TIL that China has one time zone. And I've been to China twice.

Dave is formidable. But that single Jeopardy round was a dumpster fire.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

Jasper wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:52 pm Dave Leffler's response "What is Daylight Savings Time?" is grammatically ambiguous. It is more properly Daylight Saving Time or Daylight Time.

The late William Safire, who at the time wrote the NY Times column On Language, addressed this in 1986: https://www.nytimes.com/1986/04/27/maga ... -come.html.
So how come Safire gets to call it what he wants but the rest of us can't? Daylight Time could be deemed a bit ambiguous itself...
I said earlier in the week I don't follow the NFL. I don't follow the NBA either but I got "Tiny" Archibald...
Country most often mistakenly called Arab + biggest troublemaker in the region = correct FJ....
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Jasper wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:52 pm Dave Leffler's response "What is Daylight Savings Time?" is grammatically ambiguous. It is more properly Daylight Saving Time or Daylight Time.

Well, B.S. be damned. The language is gonna go the way it's gonna go. In this case, it's gone both ways. What a language!
OCSam
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am That was one ugly J! round as the players were slow to get untracked.
Given my previous post in this thread, perhaps I shouldn't make this comment.

To me, "untracked" is a negative thing, as in "derailed". Perhaps you meant "on track". Or perhaps the language is changing again without my knowledge or permission. ;)
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am That was one ugly J! round as the players were slow to get untracked.

To me, "untracked" is a negative thing, as in "derailed". Perhaps you meant "on track". Or perhaps the language is changing again without my knowledge or permission. ;)
It's always fine to call me on such language things as I don't mind at all. One of my favorites I did here was something "phase me" instead of "faze me."

Curious why I would type "untracked" I did find this: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... rase-usage
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 am

I think Mark's usage was correct. You see that in sports stories all the time, e.g. "The Lakers couldn't get untracked until late in the game..."