FJs for the 11/19/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/19/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:49 pm

In a twist of irony, he accidentally set fire to some 300 acres of woods at Fair Haven Pond near the Concord River in 1844
79%
It's the official fruit of the District of Columbia
73%
1 of the 2 Presidents who offered Daniel Webster the VP slot; he declined both, thinking the job went nowhere
53%
Ebert: This film “works as science fiction, it’s sometimes as scary as a monster movie & at the end…not a dry eye in the house”
85%
Of the 4 “M” cities that consecutively hosted Summer Olympics in the 20th century, these 2 aren’t national capitals
75%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
32%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
SHAKESPEARE GUYS $1000: Valentine & Proteus are the title Italian friends in this comedy
72%
THE LAST $800: Amendment to the Constitution, numerically
57%
SUCH NOVEL CHARACTERS $1200: Title of a classic Max Brand novel of the Old West--this wronged man "Rides Again"
49%
I had William Henry Harrison for my correct response on the Wednesday FJ! clue.
39%
I had Zachary Taylor for my correct response on the Wednesday FJ! clue.
14%
For the Friday FJ! clue I had Munich but not Montreal.
10%
For the Friday FJ! clue I had Montreal but not Munich.
11%
Melbourne was part of my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
10%
AMERICAN LITERATURE $2000: Originally published anonymously, his essay on "Nature" helped launch Transcendentalism - I had Emerson correct on this clue as well Thoreau for the Monday FJ! clue.
61%

Total votes: 105

alietr
Site Admin

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:49 pm :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ended up 2 for 5 in a week where I could have gotten them all.
You might want to re-check your green guys then.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:59 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:49 pm :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ended up 2 for 5 in a week where I could have gotten them all.
You might want to re-check your green guys then.
Whoops. Good catch.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I'm still not really sure how they expected the kids to know about DC and cherries since it's only been the "official fruit" since 2006 and as several others pointed out, there isn't any real fruit associated with the cherry trees donated by Japan. In past years, when the tournament was in DC, I could see where they probably gave them tours of the city and might have included facts (like the identity of the official fruit) that got incorporated into the game. Alex would say, "no harm, no foul" since they all missed it but still ...
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 am :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm still not really sure how they expected the kids to know about DC and cherries since it's only been the "official fruit" since 2006 and as several others pointed out, there isn't any real fruit associated with the cherry trees donated by Japan. In past years, when the tournament was in DC, I could see where they probably gave them tours of the city and might have included facts (like the identity of the official fruit) that got incorporated into the game. Alex would say, "no harm, no foul" since they all missed it but still ...
All I knew is that there are cherry trees in Washington, D.C., and a Cherry Blossom Festival. I've known that since I was a kid. It was enough. I'm glad I didn't know that the cherry trees don't bear fruit...
I think the idea it had anything to do with fake news involving G. Washington is a little screwy, but whatever works...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:54 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I'm not sure I'd have gotten Emerson right without having Thoreau as the correct FJ response in the previous game, but I got him and that's what counts.
I'm not wringing my hands over missing Destry.
Seconded on all counts. Even the score. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:08 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 am :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All I knew is that there are cherry trees in Washington, D.C., and a Cherry Blossom Festival. I've known that since I was a kid. It was enough. I'm glad I didn't know that the cherry trees don't bear fruit...
I think the idea it had anything to do with fake news involving G. Washington is a little screwy, but whatever works...
I admit that cherry trees didn't occur to me but even if they had, I would have wondered about how that could be the official fruit when there's really no fruit. It was the basis for a good guess, but I just think that a FJ question needs to be a little more concrete. So, we ended up with 9 ridiculously easy FJ clues and 1 questionable one. I guess I'm just saying the writers should try a little harder, particularly for a tournament with a $100,000 winner.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:43 pm

I admit that cherry trees didn't occur to me but even if they had, I would have wondered about how that could be the official fruit when there's really no fruit. It was the basis for a good guess, but I just think that a FJ question needs to be a little more concrete. So, we ended up with 9 ridiculously easy FJ clues and 1 questionable one. I guess I'm just saying the writers should try a little harder, particularly for a tournament with a $100,000 winner.
DEH went 44% in the poll and 33% were not even familiar with the title, so those on the wrong side of it may disagree with "ridiculously easy."

The cherry clue for F2 could have been something better. No argument on that one.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Had Montreal, missed Munich -- got sucked into Melbourne.
Knew "Destry" from the Jimmy Stewart/Marlena Dietrich movie.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:51 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:43 pm

DEH went 44% in the poll and 33% were not even familiar with the title, so those on the wrong side of it may disagree with "ridiculously easy."

The cherry clue for F2 could have been something better. No argument on that one.
I forgot about DEH, although two of the contestants got it, so it suggests that teens might have been more familiar with the material than their elders. And, honey badger was a little iffy, given the timing of the video that was probably the basis for the clue.

That's still 7 very easy clues (Darwin, Lord of the Flies, etc.).
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

4.5/5 on FJ this week (had Munich, couldn't come up with Montreal). First time I've been this close to a perfect week in a long time.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Knew both but officially put Harrison
Both Emerson and Thoreau
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

I'm pleased to have a 5-for-5 week. Unfortunately I thought Valentine and Proteus were the two guys in "Dumb and Dumber." :roll:
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :?:*
*spoiled

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Apple on Tuesday, Garfield on Wednesday. Got Emerson and Thoreau, respectively.

314235325(2/2,3/3TT)33(1/2TT,2/3), 34-21