Wednesday, December 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCI-FI TV

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the twin planets this alien race called home was Remus

Nicole Cocklin: 7600+0=7600
Andy Greeley: 23600-7601=15999
Elana Schor: 15600+8001=23601 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Romulans (Andy – Vulcans)

Daily Doubles
Andy: 1000+1000
Andy: 9400+4600
Elana: 8200+7000

Coryats
Nicole: 7600
Andy: 20000
Elana: 9400

Combined: 37,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Nicole: 2400
Andy: 8200
Elana: 6200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The DJ! round had six clues left, five of them $400 clues and one an $800 clue. DD3 was still hiding. Elana had control and picked a $400 clue. Elana had control again and picked another $400 clue. Elana once more had control and finally picked the $800 clue that allowed her to break the lock.

Andy’s buzzer timing and/or knowledge base for the end of the round was not working as he was silent over the last 10 clues. Still, he had a big lead and only needed to solve the FJ! clue to win. That would mean a 3/3 on the clue and that is not happening lately.

Andy’s remark when missing the FJ! clue, “Obvious, but I overthought it.” That kind of loss is hard to measure as it’s not just $2000 instead of $31,201, but also the what could have been for future games as the potential was there to still be playing next week. 30 seconds can be a lot of time to get in trouble.

I matched Nicole and Elana for my response although I never stopped thinking or put the pen down. Star Trek is not my strength and off the category I was hoping for my other precall of The Twilight Zone.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I did the same thing as Andy. Man. All the classic tv trivia I did as a kid and I never heard this. Not that it wasn't also very workoutable. I feel for ya, bro.
energydelay
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by energydelay »

Andy here.
That was all buzzer timing at the end. Elana and Nicole deserve a lot of credit because they kept beating me to the punch and I was just bristling inside because I knew where the last DD was hiding. I was rattled and to be honest that might have been why I couldn't clear the cobwebs and get the final because I picked up on the Roman foundation myth clue. I'm disappointed with myself but still it was an amazing experience and I have zer0 regrets.
Last edited by energydelay on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I was rooting for Andy, but good for Elana for pulling it off at the end, big time.

I'm not a Trekkie and I haven't ever watched the show, so Romulans is not an alien race I have heard of. I also guessed Vulcans.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Famous Women and Read It went entirely over my head. Had no idea there was a Pequod in Moby-Dick, and "Flo Jo" rings no bells.

However, I ran 3 Letters.

For some reason, I constantly blank on where the Caribbean is. Any way to remember that?

Most of DJ! just felt like word salad to me. Didn't recognize anything in the "Up" song category. "Wake Me Up" felt like an obscure pic for the top box.

Also bit on the California negbait for "largest state bordering the Pacific".

Remus goes with Romulus, but I can't match that to an alien race at all. I'm sunk. NHO "Romulans".
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

energydelay wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:23 pm Andy here.
That was all buzzer timing at the end. Elana and Nicole deserve a lot of credit because they kept beating me to the punch and I was just bristling inside because I knew where the last DD was hiding. I was rattled and to be honest that might have been why I couldn't clear the cobwebs and get the final because I picked up on the Roman foundation myth clue. I'm disappointed with myself but still it was an amazing experience and I have zer0 regrets.
Thanks for dropping in Andy, congrats on playing a great game. At least you can tell your friends that it only took an eleventh hour miracle to beat you - not every day someone puts up a $20k Coryat and loses, and certainly you impressed a bunch of us. Even at home, sometimes you miss a clue and it goes south from there - totally understandable.

I overthought Final like you did. Mentioning Remus, might be some variation of Romulus, but it can't be that easy right? Sci-fi is not my thing and I'm not very familiar with the Romulans.

I could tell you knew where the last DD was too, unfortunate that it took Elana a few picks to get there. Props to her for making the necessary big wager though and winning the game as a result.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Upon realizing she'd won, the winner's response was the textbook illustration of "verklempt". Fun to see, and mazel tov!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:28 pm Famous Women and Read It went entirely over my head. Had no idea there was a Pequod in Moby-Dick, and "Flo Jo" rings no bells.

However, I ran 3 Letters.

For some reason, I constantly blank on where the Caribbean is. Any way to remember that?

Most of DJ! just felt like word salad to me. Didn't recognize anything in the "Up" song category. "Wake Me Up" felt like an obscure pic for the top box.

Also bit on the California negbait for "largest state bordering the Pacific".

Remus goes with Romulus, but I can't match that to an alien race at all. I'm sunk. NHO "Romulans".

griiffith joyner in the top box for the women's category was misplaced imo....i got it right, but is definitely not a top box option
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:28 pm
Sure thing. Caribbean is a 10-letter word. 10 is 1 more than 9, which is the number of letters in southeast, which is the direction you would go to get to the Caribbean from the United States.

Next think of the 1980s hit song Caribbean Queen No More Love On The Run. That was a hit for Billy Ocean. Billy Ocean had three number one hits Each of which had eight words in its title. The others were there'll be sad songs to make you cry and get Outta my dreams get into my car. And Caribbean starts with car. Billy Ocean also has 10 letters in his two names. Billy had another song called when the going gets tough the tough get going but that only made it to number two, obviously because it had nine in words in its title.

Then bear in mind that the Caribbean is where you'll find the Bermuda Triangle, and a triangle has like its name suggests three angles, and also three sides.

If you can remember all those things, you surely can remember where the Caribbean is, something most of us learned in elementary school.

Also, I think that somewhere in the Caribbean is a dead Mall.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

Not at all versed in Star Trek lore, but know there are Romulans, so..
How does an alien race have a history drawing on Roman mythology, anyway??... :roll:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Congrats, Andy on your strong game and thanks for declaring yourself. You played sharp, you bet well and then hit a gotcha. You didn't lose it, Elana won it.

So far, I'm the only one who negged with Klingon. I might have had a slim chance with the Remus TOM, but I thought of the Brer Rabbit (Uncle Remus) connection, not the Rome one. I dismissed the chance for wordplay and took the most ubiquitous Star Wars Trek alien species. Besides, I can't do the Vulcan hand greeting even though I do have pointy ears with no earlobes :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ha! Double Netflix synchronicity! I still get the two-at-a-time disc service since not everything can be streamed. The other film (the first mentioned in Monday's thread) I got for last weekend was (spoiling out of adverse caution and maybe you want to try guessing?)...
Spoiler
The Big Sleep
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I loved this final: interesting fact, demanding both high brow (mythology) and low brow (tv) knowledge. Very few would know it outright, but many should be able to figure it out. Bravo to the writers!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

The instaget of instagets. Remus -> Romulus -> Romulans (ok FINE I've watched every second of Trek and knew the Romulan star system cold, sue me). I'm kinda surprised that it was a FJ clue at all. Jolan tru, J! writers.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Great game today. Andy, you really impressed me with your knowledge base. It’s too bad that things didn’t work out for you were fun to watch regardless. Instaget FJ.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I bet Alex is taking some heat for his "the other one" quip regarding Flo Jo.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Today was a great day to be an old guy. My only Lach Trash items were Medicare (which I'm old enough to be on), Flo-Jo (whom I'm old enough to have seen in the '88 Olympics, and Brasilia (which became the newly-created capital of Brazil while I was finishing up grade school and had to relearn that factoid).

Then of course the Original-Star-Trek FJ was beyond right up my alley. I had enough time to write in the correct answer and then add a parenthetical "Live Long and Prosper" shout-out.

Andy looked like that rare kind of powerhouse who comes in and steamrolls through a half-dozen or so games and finally leaves with $150-200K to await the ToC. Until he booted the FJ. I was bummed for the guy (BTW, Andy, thanks for showing up here today! Really enjoyed your performance and would have loved to see more).

And the carousel continues....