LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by cmp146 »

My answer of "author died before they were done" was not accepted. I did however, totally get the Koons question, and added this balloon dog to our tree ornament collection this year. Unfortunately for boson, we haven't set up the tree yet. If you want one, you can get it at Canadian Tire: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/canv ... 7488p.html Image
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cmp146 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:58 pm My answer of "author died before they were done" was not accepted.
Confederacy of Dunces and the Kafka works don't qualify.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

From my visit to L.A.'s Broad Museum last year.
blue_balloon_dog_koons.jpg
blue_balloon_dog_koons.jpg (40.81 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

cmp146 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:58 pm My answer of "author died before they were done" was not accepted. I did however, totally get the Koons question, and added this balloon dog to our tree ornament collection this year. Unfortunately for boson, we haven't set up the tree yet. If you want one, you can get it at Canadian Tire: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/canv ... 7488p.html Image
I said "unfinished" because of The Mystery of Edwin Drood (also not accepted). Didn't know enough about the others to get it right.
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

I'd assumed that my opponent would not know anything about beer production, because his religion forbids it. I was wrong. (About the first thing, not the second.)
I keep losing by one point, so even though I'm four games under .500 and nearing relegation, I have a +1 point differential. That differential might save me.
Hoping for a third lap
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got bit yesterday by making assumptions based on the sex of my opponent. I assigned the beer question 3 and paisley 0. She got wort and missed paisley and I ended up with a 9(6)-9(5) tie and spoiling my first six-pack of the season. :(
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:49 am I got bit yesterday by making assumptions based on the sex of my opponent. I assigned the beer question 3 and paisley 0. She got wort and missed paisley and I ended up with a 9(6)-9(5) tie and spoiling my first six-pack of the season. :(
I was baffled that anyone would not put the 0 on Annie, yet somehow the average defense was 1.3, the third lowest. The question literally said to name a Broadway show from 1977 with a little girl as the title character.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:18 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:49 am I got bit yesterday by making assumptions based on the sex of my opponent. I assigned the beer question 3 and paisley 0. She got wort and missed paisley and I ended up with a 9(6)-9(5) tie and spoiling my first six-pack of the season. :(
I was baffled that anyone would not put the 0 on Annie, yet somehow the average defense was 1.3, the third lowest. The question literally said to name a Broadway show from 1977 with a little girl as the title character.
That one was definitely a softball. I'm sure the reason is lots of people have poor Theater scores, but that was a very easy theater question. For some reason I thought the paisley question was going to be just as easy. A Persian design named for a place in Scotland? I wouldn't have thought the get rate would be as high as for Annie, but not far off.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:22 am
That one was definitely a softball. I'm sure the reason is lots of people have poor Theater scores, but that was a very easy theater question. For some reason I thought the paisley question was going to be just as easy. A Persian design named for a place in Scotland? I wouldn't have thought the get rate would be as high as for Annie, but not far off.
For the paisley question, Argyle and Tartan were two possible wrong answers. The “bush” hint steered me away from the geometric designs.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:57 pm For the paisley question, Argyle and Tartan were two possible wrong answers. The “bush” hint steered me away from the geometric designs.
Same here, but I put TARTAN anyway

I came up with AURICLE for ear, which is a synonym for PINNA only in the ear sense. I'll file that one away for, er, scratch that. Too obscure
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:01 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:57 pm For the paisley question, Argyle and Tartan were two possible wrong answers. The “bush” hint steered me away from the geometric designs.
Same here, but I put TARTAN anyway

I came up with AURICLE for ear, which is a synonym for PINNA only in the ear sense. I'll file that one away for, er, scratch that. Too obscure
I did exactly the same for pinna.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:57 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:22 am
For the paisley question, Argyle and Tartan were two possible wrong answers. The “bush” hint steered me away from the geometric designs.
I was so happy to come up with Argyle as a geometric pattern named after a Scottish location that I stopped thinking about it.

alietr and I had a barn burner yesterday: 3(2)-2(1). I'll take it though: it ended a 9-game losing streak for me, and a 12-game no-win streak for me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm
alietr and I had a barn burner yesterday: 3(2)-2(1). I'll take it though: it ended a 9-game losing streak for me, and a 12-game no-win streak for me.
Gee, thanks for the reminder. I can't remember the last time I bombed out that badly. But it must be a very, very long time. I went with 'plaid' on the cloth and the MCWA of Orange is the New Black. Wasn't getting wort no matter how hard I tried, and totally misread the president question to come up with JQ Adams. Finally, no clue on The Dark Tower. Any salt you'd like to rub in my eye while you're at it?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:37 pm
boson wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm
Gee, thanks for the reminder. I can't remember the last time I bombed out that badly. But it must be a very, very long time. I went with 'plaid' on the cloth and the MCWA of Orange is the New Black. Wasn't getting wort no matter how hard I tried, and totally misread the president question to come up with JQ Adams. Finally, no clue on The Dark Tower. Any salt you'd like to rub in my eye while you're at it?
Can I play? Not that I won my match, but everyone in my Prairie C (other than the one forfeit) had at least two right. When it rains, it pours.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

And her last name was Irish which, if you apply a stereotype like I did, could hint that she is a redhead. I assigned it a zero in both my matches.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Pretty depressing to only get one right and have it be in your third best category (over .800). I was puzzled to be assigned 0 for the president question and 1 for Annie, not that it helped me.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm not allowing myself to discuss the season because I'm way ahead of everybody else and can't keep track of which questions have appeared and which haven't. (Thorsten was kind enough to remove my limit on advance access this season because as a postal worker during December, I can easily put in 70-80 hours a week.)
clprez

Post by clprez »

After many matches where I got more correct answers than my opponent and lost, the tables were turned yesterday.

I did the best defense, and she did the worst so I won 5(2)-4(4).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Hmm. If I had seen Tuesday's episode of Jeopardy before Thursday's match, I should have been able to come up with 'published posthumously'
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Kinda surprised that Casey Jones barely hit 50%, but just as surprised that John Henry was the MCWA. He wasn't even an engineer and he "died with a hammer in his hand."