Tuesday, December 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:00 pm Ugh. That no one got the Hadji Murad clue was disappointing--my Ph.D. dissertation focuses on popular religiosity and religious dissent in late imperial Russia, and Tolstoy is a significant part of that.
I don't know enough about his bio - I mean, anything - to have gone for that one. I blurted out Dostoe-Tolstoy at home

Why did so many go to Ecclesiastes? What am I missing there? I wrote down Lamentations and Psalms and crossed out Lamentations, without finding any etymological confirmation of Psalm

Unlikely winner today but she had a slow start, we'll see how she does on Wednesday (2 days ago)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:56 pm
Why did so many go to Ecclesiastes? What am I missing there?
For me it was simply "let's pick a book whose name I have no clue about the origin".
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:16 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:56 pm
Why did so many go to Ecclesiastes? What am I missing there?
For me it was simply "let's pick a book whose name I have no clue about the origin".
Solid!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

To me, "Psalms" just seems Greek. Other languages don't begin words with a Ps- sound--at least not the languages I'm familiar with. Hebrew doesn't. But Greek has a letter of their alphabet devoted to that sound--psi (ψ). Lots of Greek words begin that way, as do many English words derived from the Greek. Words that start with psych- or pseudo- are the most common of these. Words that start with psalm- or psalt- bring up a respectable third. I didn't know the origin of the word "Psalms". But if you say it's a book of songs with a Greek-looking name, no other candidates come close.

For those who went with Ecclesiastes, that wasn't a terrible guess. The name is from the Greek. (The Hebrew name is Qohelet.) We use the ecclesia- root in English to refer to church-related things. Ecclesiastical is probably the most common of those words. Not that it's common, but you may have run across it.