The crisis in TDs

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: The crisis in TDs

Post by Vintsanity »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:11 pm
Vintsanity wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 am I participated (initially under a different account) in nearly every single TD from roughly the end of 2015 to a few months ago when I stopped frequenting this board multiple times per week. Now I usually just stop by once a week to see the FJ poll.

For me it was simple a matter of getting trivia fatigue. With this board, LearnedLeague, AlpacaFarm, Fleetwit, HQ Trivia, TriviaHub, and DVR'd episodes of J! and Millionaire, trivial pursuits were just taking up too much of my time. Something had to give, and that something was this board and the TDs. For me, TDs took more time and/or effort than the other things I mentioned, so they got the ax.

The quality of the TDs is fine; I really can't think of any structural changes that would make me more likely to participate. I find that the quantity is overwhelming. I would probably make it a point to play TDs if they were once a month or something. As is, it is easier to just cut them out completely than to pick and choose a few to participate in.
i had never heard of that site before...so it is a trivia gambling site? seems decent, but the rake is really high on that site
In addition to the 1v1 games there are free live races with cash prizes.

You're right, the rake on those 1v1 races is really high. I've made money by focusing on some narrow categories that I have deep knowledge in, but overall, you have to win 62.5% of your games to just break even. The site is heavily populated by elite trivia players, so that is a tough task.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

This is just a busy time of year for me. But also, I've checked out a few of them and had no ready answer for two or more questions (mostly in what I'd consider niche areas). So it's the difficulty level as well.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

Vintsanity wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:44 pm
Vintsanity wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 am I participated (initially under a different account) in nearly every single TD from roughly the end of 2015 to a few months ago when I stopped frequenting this board multiple times per week. Now I usually just stop by once a week to see the FJ poll.

For me it was simple a matter of getting trivia fatigue. With this board, LearnedLeague, AlpacaFarm, Fleetwit, HQ Trivia, TriviaHub, and DVR'd episodes of J! and Millionaire, trivial pursuits were just taking up too much of my time. Something had to give, and that something was this board and the TDs. For me, TDs took more time and/or effort than the other things I mentioned, so they got the ax.

The quality of the TDs is fine; I really can't think of any structural changes that would make me more likely to participate. I find that the quantity is overwhelming. I would probably make it a point to play TDs if they were once a month or something. As is, it is easier to just cut them out completely than to pick and choose a few to participate in.
i had never heard of that site before...so it is a trivia gambling site? seems decent, but the rake is really high on that site

You're right, the rake on those 1v1 races is really high. I've made money by focusing on some narrow categories that I have deep knowledge in, but overall, you have to win 62.5% of your games to just break even. The site is heavily populated by elite trivia players, so that is a tough task.

will just do the freebies it looks like...can't handle the 20 percent rake....if they would do 5 percent like they do on wsop poker site for heads up, i would play a lot of the head to heads....heck...even 10 percent rake...but not 20 percent
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:41 pm

will just do the freebies it looks like...can't handle the 20 percent rake....if they would do 5 percent like they do on wsop poker site for heads up, i would play a lot of the head to heads....heck...even 10 percent rake...but not 20 percent
You can challenge specific opponents in private for a 10 percent rake, but that's a 20 credit ($5) minimum.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:25 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:41 pm

You can challenge specific opponents in private for a 10 percent rake, but that's a 20 credit ($5) minimum.

need to build the BR to do that...would be bad BRM otherwise
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

I generally have more free time to play in the summer (as well as the SHC). I liked Morbeedo's mini TD format-more accessible to those of us w/less free time to spend on the board, and Florida Gator's "Ring" cycle was incentive to play (and get my butt kicked) for awhile. However, I wouldn't have entered the Ring cycle had it appeared during the academic year.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I've had some things come up IRL that have limited my internet time over the last several months. I'm just getting back to J! I'm still not sure I'll be able to be as active as before, but I definitely enjoyed watching and discussing the daily games.

I tried to enter the TD most weeks before then. But from time to time one would come out where I couldn't come up with any answers at all to the first 2 or 3 questions. When that happens, it's quite discouraging and I tend to skip that week. It's typically the luck of the draw hitting topics where I don't know as much.

If I were to make a suggestion, it might be including some attempt to grade the difficulty level of the TD. If it's acknowledged as hard going in, it sets some expectations and I'm less likely to get discouraged by difficult questions.

Having written one TD, I suspect that personal bias came out in that TD. I tried to make mine easier than average.
--Peter
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i entered TD406 within 2 hours after the thread was created...pretty solid TD...CLS makes some of the best TDs
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I've been playing and hosting TDs for almost as long as they've been a staple on this board. And being in charge of the TD queue and archive, I've paid close attention to each and every one, week in and week out, that is offered up. But I don't play them much anymore and I haven't hosted one in ages.

Hosting, simple.... takes too much time, effort and patience that I currently have in short supply, though I do regularly think about hosting and I still maintain a running list of potential topics and questions. I truly do appreciate our handful of boardies that frequently step up to host. Bravo!

Not playing much for several reasons, but rather than go into detail based on what might be just idiosyncratic rationalizations, I'll suggest that we all review two separate threads on Think Different Best Practices that Keith (Vermonter) and I initiated 3+ years ago, when TDs were regularly attracting easily 50+ players each week and the upcoming queue was often several months long. And it wasn't just the two of us preaching from on high; there's a lot of valuable discussion in the threads regarding what makes a good and popular quiz. When a potential new host comes along, I always strongly suggest that these threads be reviewed.

I don't know whether it will it make a difference, or whether it truly matters. But it is clear that there is far less interest in TDs than there used to be, especially among a lot of "old-timers" who still hang out here, myself included.

Think Different Best Practices: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3249
TD guidelines: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1725
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I'm back on the schedule this Monday due to overwhelming demand. I expect 30 players minimum!
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I've skipped a bunch of TD'a recently because I've been busy, and because they've been too hard for me. I can't deal with multiple pop music and/or sports questions. Also, the TD's when you have to spend half an hour figuring out the logistics for a single question or bonus (give 9 or more answers with at least 2 out of three answers in 3 out of five sections, but only odd or even numbers) are not worth it.
Teems with quiet fun.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I've skipped a number recently because I simply can't provide a legal answer for enough questions. I do terrible with facial recognition and don't do movies/TV.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

wouldn't say there is necessarily a crisis in regards to tds...the recent golf td had a pretty solid turnout
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:03 am I've skipped a number recently because I simply can't provide a legal answer for enough questions. I do terrible with facial recognition and don't do movies/TV.
Well, I have a movie and a TV question in my latest, which just went up ;)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It's been nearly two years since I posted this and the problem is getting worse, not better. That's why I have not written a new TD in that time. Right now CLT 013 has an excellent TD running and it only has 17 entrants. That is lousy. TDs used to regularly get between 40 and 50 entries. I stopped doing them when my last TD had only 17. It is just not worth doing all that work for such a small number of people to play. There isn't that much excitement. The excitement comes from a large number of people spreading themselves out over 8 ten or 12 answers and the possibility of Mega sheeps.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Just grasping at straws here, and it pertains to me so it might pertain to others as well...
The ongoing COVID-19 situation has sort of forced me to take stock of things in life and what I do with my time. Working from home has provided a lot of extra time on my hands. But in an almost counterintuitive way, it's actually left me busier as I've found things to fill the time that have me, in some ways, busier than ever. I've embarked on another degree that takes up a fair amount of time. My wife and I took up vegetable gardening this summer in some more of that free time. More time at home has led to more home projects as well. All told, more free time on my hands has led to a lot less... free time on my hands. Maybe some others are having a similar experience.

That said, I think I'll go play the current one. After all, I *was* just in Iowa City on Saturday.
--
Drowning in the pool