Monday, December 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NORSE MYTHOLOGY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After turning himself into a mare, he gave birth to an 8-legged horse that was later the prized steed of Odin

Jackie Fuchs: 10000+9889=19889 (2x = $34,089)
Alex Cervenak: 2800+0=2800
Josh Demby: 9000+8000=17000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Loki (Alex crossed out Thor)

Daily Doubles
Jackie: 3000-3000
Jackie: 3800+3800
Jackie: 12000-2000

Coryats
Jackie: 12800
Alex: 2800
Josh: 9000

Combined: 24,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jackie: 2600
Alex: 4000
Josh: 2600
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jackie’s chat time with Alex brought up that she got the nickname “Malibu Barbie” back in her surfing days.

Jackie was 2/4 on big clues yet that 50% was just enough to outlast her opponents on the triple solve FJ! clue.

Off the FJ! category I wrote 9 precall names. By luck my first two covered the name in the clue and the correct response. During the break my mental plea was, “Don’t be the tree I can’t spell.” Yggdrasil, fortunately, was not part of the round.

Hey, a repeat champ. Not that Jackie would be scaring any of the other contestants in that day's taping pool waiting to play.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Surprised that Jackie the lawyer wasn't able to come up with "restitution." Unsurprisingly, she was on fire on the Musicians' Memoirs category, though.

OK, I did absolutely awful with this board. Only $28,800 Coryat, 2/3 DDs (missed J. Crew) and missed FJ.

J: Guessed "Nautica" for J. Crew and "Speedo" for Body Glove. 5/5 on Writers Exposed, 4/4 in On the Slab, 4/5 in Coming At You. 2/5 in NY City Center and 2/4 in Brand Names.

DJ: "Tommyland" drove me to any of the living members of The Who. Said "Le Sacre" for "Rite of Spring," but corrected myself (to fit the category) before Jackie rang in with the correct response so I gave myself credit. 5/5 in Capital Cities and "Rite," 4/4 in Mexican War, 2/2 in Women in Math and Science. 2/5 in In the Dictionary (usually the sort of category I'm great at) and Musicians' Memoirs (I knew all of the musicians, but only on two of them was I able to work out who it was from the title of the book).

FJ: My entire knowledge of Norse mythology comes from Der Ring des Nibelungen, so I WAGed "Grane" because it was better than saying nothing at all.

LT: Restitution, Silicon Laboratories, pitching rubber, Odyssey, silver bullet, x-ray film, smokescreen
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I surprised myself by running Authors, but otherwise this J! board was not good to me.

My childhood home had one of those round Honeywell thermostats.

This retail geek went 0/4 on the Sporty Brands clues.

I pitted Rite Aid's store locator against the home states of the contestants. They have 568 stores in California compared to 266 in Michigan (I would've thought more -- I live out in the boonies and there are five within a half hour of me) and only 4 in Colorado. Wonder what the geographic spread was here on this clue?

I thought Memoirs was tough. NHO Chrissie Hynde or Tommy Lee.

No guess on FJ!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'll be checking the box that says I not only got this FJ, I could've named the horse.

Congrats to Jackie for losing one true DD and not flinching when the next opportunity came. So many contestants miss the opportunity to catch up because they're afraid of losing all their money twice.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:28 pm I thought Memoirs was tough. NHO Chrissie Hynde or Tommy Lee.
Not only have you heard of her, but you're the one who brought her up previously:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1244&p=63756&hilit=hynde#p63756
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Easy FJ. And people think Greek mythology is weird. :P
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:14 pm I'll be checking the box that says I not only got this FJ, I could've named the horse.
I could have named the horse, but somehow forgot the origin story.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Sees the clue. Looks at the category. Game over. Wait, this is comic book material -they can't expect anyone to know much about Norse mythology. Guess Odin. Oops clue names Odin. Can't be Thor, too obvious and a weird story. Go with Alex Trebek's cliche "the other one". Thank you Marvel, because I don't give a fig about mythology or Santa Claus.

I'm enjoying Malibu Barbie's tenure, but was surprised at her Clams on the entertainment clues. I hope we get to hear some more stories. If she has nieces or nephews, she must make a really cool aunt.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

Giving birth to an 8-legged mare sounds more like masochism than mischievousness to me, but it didn't sound like something Thor would do, and the 3d Norse mythological figure I can name was already in the clue, so I guess I have to call this another easy FJ... ;)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:28 pm FJ: My entire knowledge of Norse mythology comes from Der Ring des Nibelungen, so I WAGed "Grane" because it was better than saying nothing at all.
This FJ did make me wonder if they would have accepted "Loge" for "Loki".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:14 pm I'll be checking the box that says I not only got this FJ, I could've named the horse.

Congrats to Jackie for losing one true DD and not flinching when the next opportunity came. So many contestants miss the opportunity to catch up because they're afraid of losing all their money twice.
I spent the commercial break trying to come up with the name of the horse. Luckily I didn't need to.

Does give me a reason to link to this though!
https://www.deviantart.com/briannacherr ... -301905242
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Between this board and other forums there are a lot of comments about NORSE MYTHOLOGY not being a strength. For J! purposes a lot of it comes up over and over again making it quite easy to get up to speed quickly.

This is copied from Game Show Trivia 6th edition by Steven Ferrill:
Spoiler
Not there, unfortunately, is Odin's horse Sleipnir.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

And if there is mention of Heimdall, he's the guard of Bifrost.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew the name of the 8-legged horse, but was hitting a brick wall on any other names from Norse mythology.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

They could have changed the N in the FJ category to an H and it still would have been accurate.

The story in the clue sounded vaguely familiar, but not to the point where I thought I could remember the names directly from it. Luckily, turning oneself into a mare and getting pregnant sounded trickster-ish to me, and Loki felt more and more right the more I thought about it.

Go Jackie!
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Jackie on win # 2.

I got FJ right.