Monday, December 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Monday, December 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

Another good win by Jackie. I was also a tad surprised that she didnt ring in on the higher valued music clues, but punk and later music might not be her thing. Easy-peasy FJ.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another source for Norse things that J! can use is the Pavlov thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=343&p=10799

You have to scroll down a bit past all the Greeks and Romans to get there.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I was a little surprised it's been two months since this FJ!
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I would have been very disappointed if Jackie got beat to the buzzer on the Chrissie Hynde clue.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:40 pm Sees the clue. Looks at the category. Game over. Wait, this is comic book material -they can't expect anyone to know much about Norse mythology. Guess Odin. Oops clue names Odin. Can't be Thor, too obvious and a weird story. Go with Alex Trebek's cliche "the other one". Thank you Marvel, because I don't give a fig about mythology or Santa Claus.

I'm enjoying Malibu Barbie's tenure, but was surprised at her Clams on the entertainment clues. I hope we get to hear some more stories. If she has nieces or nephews, she must make a really cool aunt.
pretty much how i got it...only 3 names i can name...precalled those 3 and sure enough, 1 of them was the answer
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm older than Jackie and I surfed recently.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:56 am I'm older than Jackie and I surfed recently.
The internet does not count. :roll: :lol:
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

$27,000 coryat. Instaget final. Ran Musicians' Memoirs and Art-icles.
seaborgium wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:15 pm They could have changed the N in the FJ category to an H and it still would have been accurate.
Jokingly, I said to my brother "Horse Mythology" when the category was revealed and we agreed that could totally be a FJ! category with Pegasus, Sleipnir, unicorns, etc. Low and behold...
Euphonium wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:28 pm Surprised that Jackie the lawyer wasn't able to come up with "restitution." Unsurprisingly, she was on fire on the Musicians' Memoirs category, though.

OK, I did absolutely awful with this board. Only $28,800 Coryat, 2/3 DDs (missed J. Crew) and missed FJ.
"On fire" is a bit of an overstatement for going 3/5. She missed the easy rebound of Tommy Lee and the John Lydon clue. It's too bad Neon Angel (Cherie Currie) or Living Like A Runaway (Lita Ford) didn't come up.

I judge my coryat performance in relation to the combined coryat for the game. I consider it a good game if I'm within $2,000 of the combined coryat when it's over $30,000 or I beat it if it's under $30,000.

I could be wrong or I could be right, but anger is an energy...

I would prefer not to.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

"Hey Neil Young, have you read the book Anger Is An Energy?"
Neil: "Yeah, it's the story of Johnny Rotten."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:55 am "Hey Neil Young, have you read the book Anger Is An Energy?"
Neil: "Yeah, it's the story of Johnny Rotten."
Good one, Kirk.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Guess this is more of a blind spot for me than I realized. I've heard of the 8-legged horse, but never its creation story. No clue on this. As someone said above, this story doesn't sound, uh, mischievous (lot of things, but not that) so Loki never popped into mind.

LT: attention, pillory, odyssey, silver bullet, x-ray.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 am Guess this is more of a blind spot for me than I realized. I've heard of the 8-legged horse, but never its creation story.
I didn't recall the creation story either. I'm with those who got it just because the story had that Loki trickster god feel to it. That might be an interesting poll question if there's room. Something like "I got Monday's FJ even though I wasn't familiar with the story." But I'm also curious how many could've named Sleipnir, so that would be a good poll question too. I'll leave it to Mark to decide if either of those makes the cut.
davey

Post by davey »

I have the impression that lack of candidates was really the most helpful cue that those who didn't know the myth used to solve the FJ. The study page that Mark posted only lists one other male god that hasn't been mentioned here - what's everybody's favorite story about Balder?
Thor giving birth wouldn't be good for Chris Hemsworth's image, so that doesn't leave much choice... ;)
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Yeah, in my case, it was merely thinking of any Norse mythology names I could (which wasn't many at all), and then guessing one of them.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Seeing Norse Mythology has me start off by wagering nothing - it's an area I need to study more.

As to pre-calls, I ran through the list of Norse gods I could remember. 8 letters were enough - Thor, Odin. (That's actually 7 letters, isn't it? Whatever.) Odin was in the clue, and I was pretty sure Thor wouldn't be giving birth to a horse, so that left me with nothing except a head-slap moment when the answer was revealed. I haven't reviewed the pavlov list posted earlier in the thread, but I suspect that knowing those three would cover a lot of what you need to know.

I did better than I thought I would on the authors. Went 3/5, staring at one clue trying to figure out the category and joining in with Stevenson instead of Stein. Every once in a while I realize there is hope for me and literature. It just takes some work.
--Peter
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:03 pm I did better than I thought I would on the authors. Went 3/5, staring at one clue trying to figure out the category and joining in with Stevenson instead of Stein.
Stine. My close captioning had it wrong, too.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:06 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:03 pm I did better than I thought I would on the authors. Went 3/5, staring at one clue trying to figure out the category and joining in with Stevenson instead of Stein.
Stine. My close captioning had it wrong, too.
My brain was probably on the Steinbeck trail. I think I have seen RL's last name enough to know it's Stine, but who knows. I didn't have the closed captioning on this time, since my wife wasn't watching with me.
--Peter
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 am
John Boy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 am Guess this is more of a blind spot for me than I realized. I've heard of the 8-legged horse, but never its creation story.
I didn't recall the creation story either. I'm with those who got it just because the story had that Loki trickster god feel to it. That might be an interesting poll question if there's room. Something like "I got Monday's FJ even though I wasn't familiar with the story." But I'm also curious how many could've named Sleipnir, so that would be a good poll question too. I'll leave it to Mark to decide if either of those makes the cut.
My route to it was even simpler: is there any other male shapeshifter in Norse mythology? Odin, most likely, but we knew it wasn't him.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

48 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Attention, (J. Crew), Silicon, Tommy Lee, Pillory, Odyssey, Silver Bullet, X-Ray Film, Smokescreen, (Winfield Scott)

Missed Restitution, Rubber, Alvin Ailey(A name I should have down by now.), Body Glove, Johnny Rotten, and one other I can't remember.

I am soooooo happy that in Single Jeopardy!, the players went to my favorite categories first for once. :D
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I know the names but nothing about them.