LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:06 am Kinda surprised that Casey Jones barely hit 50%, but just as surprised that John Henry was the MCWA. He wasn't even an engineer and he "died with a hammer in his hand."
Just came here to post the same thing. Maybe the Casey Jones story isn't as well known to the younger generations?

I was also somewhat surprised that Art Deco was over 80%.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'm glad FILO was accepted. The clue practically spelled out 'LIFO' but I've never heard of that; but I have heard of FILO. Also, "FILO" sounds better.

Grr, stupid first half luck, I probably'd be safely in promotion territory if it wasn't for weeks of .400 defense...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:51 pm I'm glad FILO was accepted. The clue practically spelled out 'LIFO' but I've never heard of that; but I have heard of FILO. Also, "FILO" sounds better.
I'm just the opposite. The two I've heard the most are LIFO and FIFO.
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

I put FILO down, too. After thinking about it a bit, I thought it might be LIFO, but I wasn't sure enough to change it. I always go with my first guess as I've changed way too many that were correct.

I also put down Casey but forgot the Jones. I still won.

Actually this season has been a strange one. I started off pretty bad, and after two bad seasons in a row, I decided that I would sit out next season. Once that happened, I started caring less about this season and I have won 6 matches in a row.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Well, that's what I get for assuming a woman must have played with Barbies. Back into the relegation zone, Doof.

It didn't help that I also glossed over the word "Restoration" in the Meiji question. I put "Chrysanthemum Throne."
Volante

Post by Volante »

For some reason I was given a zero for the Barbie question...which, I mean, it paid off for them since I actually knew Skipper from a Freakazoid episode but... defense, how does it work?!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Changed from Midge (which I was 95% sure of) to Skipper (100%). Not that it would have mattered.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:47 am Well, that's what I get for assuming a woman must have played with Barbies. Back into the relegation zone, Doof.

It didn't help that I also glossed over the word "Restoration" in the Meiji question. I put "Chrysanthemum Throne."
My opponent was a woman and I assigned Barbie a 0 without looking at the other questions. She got it. I got a 1 for knowing Skipper and I would have been insulted if I got anything other than the 0 for Survivor. It was the 3 for getting Wynken & Co. that turned the match in my favor 5(4)-4(3) as between us we got all 6 right with no overlap other than Barbie.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I only knew Skipper, so glad we only needed to name one. Second six-pack in a row for me!

Bit of a "Slumdog Millionaire" for me on the Wynken, Blynken, and Nod question. Three gigantic smokestacks were built in my hometown in the '80s and a local newspaper columnist had a naming contest for them with WB&N being chosen. Only in the Midwest...

edit: seems like I wasn't the only one who got it due to that connection:
https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9444
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Does Thorsten mine JBoard TDs for LL questions?
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Last Monday, I was in 3rd place and in the promotion zone. 2 ties and 4 losses later, I'm only 4 points away from getting relegated. :(
Now swimming in the J! pool.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:33 am I only knew Skipper, so glad we only needed to name one.
I would have got Midge, too. For that one though, I kept waffling between Midge and Madge, but I was 100% sure of Skipper, so stuck with that.

Scarily, I am in 6th place, just out of the promotion zone because of the 3rd or 4th tiebreaker. Not having a great season -- only 14th in TCA -- but am leading the rundle in PCAA and 2nd in DE. And a bit of luck, too.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:57 am Does Thorsten mine JBoard TDs for LL questions?
I've heard him admit more than once that he doesn't watch Jeopardy! so there's about zero chance he's lurking here.
In and out of the pool four times
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am For some reason I was given a zero for the Barbie question...which, I mean, it paid off for them since I actually knew Skipper from a Freakazoid episode but... defense, how does it work?!
My opponent, who is a real-life friend, gave me 3 on the Barbie question. He confessed that he confidently thought, "Jim doesn't have a sister," and then after he submitted, he realized, "Wait a minute, Jim totally has a sister!" (He has met my sister, although it was over 20 years ago.)
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am For some reason I was given a zero for the Barbie question...which, I mean, it paid off for them since I actually knew Skipper from a Freakazoid episode but... defense, how does it work?!
"I have traveled many millions of lightyears across forty billion galaxies to come here for the answer to a vital question that concerns the entire universe."

While I did have to look up the quote to make sure I got it word for word, there is little that makes me as happy as knowing one of my favorite shows proved useful to someone. The amount of obscure knowledge I've culled from Mystery Science Theater 3000, my goodness.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think my brain was trying to come up with Lucia di Lammermoor, but instead it spit out Tess of the d'Urbervilles, I rejected it, and decided La Traviata was the best way to go for a female title character. If I had realized that there was still an opera with a similarly formatted title to Tess (which itself was adapted into an opera, though less famous), I might have been able to puzzle over it and pull out the correct response (and beaten JenningsK). Another failure which also could have snagged me the match was not managing to synthesize the Ma Rainey and August Wilson references to come up with Black Bottom.

Edit: the score in my match updated; a get on either of those two questions would have tied me with JenningsK instead. At least I don't have to second-guess my defense anymore.
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:39 am I think my brain was trying to come up with Lucia di Lammermoor, but instead it spit out Tess of the d'Urbervilles, I rejected it, and decided La Traviata was the best way to go for a female title character. If I had realized that there was still an opera with a similarly formatted title to Tess (which itself was adapted into an opera, though less famous), I might have been able to puzzle over it and pull out the correct response (and beaten JenningsK). Another failure which also could have snagged me the match was not managing to synthesize the Ma Rainey and August Wilson references to come up with Black Bottom.
I'd heard of "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" before, but it was the reference to dark soil that got me there first.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:39 am I think my brain was trying to come up with Lucia di Lammermoor, but instead it spit out Tess of the d'Urbervilles, I rejected it, and decided La Traviata was the best way to go for a female title character.
I also said Traviata, thinking the name meant "fickle woman" (Wikipedia says it means "fallen woman"). I'm not sure why I thought this, but maybe because the word looks similar to "travel". It's not that I thought La Donna e Mobile was from that opera, because I knew it wasn't.

I happen to have seen Ma Rainey's Black Bottom on Broadway (cheap student tickets long ago), so that one was easy. I seem to recall Ethel Waters saying it referred to a Nashville nabe, but it has been established that my memory is fallible.
I'm smart and I want respect.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Haven't seen a single Die Hard film, so I wasn't getting that one. I said "The Intern". My opponents probably wish they'd given me more than 1 point each

Went with Paraguay, but getting that one right would not have changed the outcome

Feels good to win for just the second time this season, but relegation is almost guaranteed, barring a Christmas miracle
Volante

Post by Volante »

While I'm not mathematically eliminated from promotion (I think, I haven't done a close examination of the matches), the odds aren't good. But I think I only have to manage one tie in the next three games to entirely avoid relegation which, considering I spent half the season there, is nice.