LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by classicroadster »

I'm still clinging to 3rd place and promotion to C Magnolia but have gone 1-3-1 in my last 5 matches including a Buckner tie (does that exist?) 3(3) - 3(1) where my opponents worst category for the day was easily film and I underestimated the difficulty of both the black bottom and opera questions. Of course they got Die Hard and fortunately gave me 2 for prospectus.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:38 am Haven't seen a single Die Hard film, so I wasn't getting that one.
I haven't, either, but have heard enough about the plot (including whether or not it should be classified as a Christmas movie) to be pretty confident Die Hard was correct.

Still took a tough 6(5)-7(5) loss. We both missed the opera question, but I assigned that one 2 points (with Black Bottom the 3) and my opponent assigned it 3.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Black Bottom was something I never would have pulled out, and the best I could come up with for a female opera title character (at least as sole title character) at the time was Aida. I knew it was wrong, but I did not know the plot to the correct answer.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I'm out of relegation (but only just) with 3 days to go. I noticed last night that my DE is 26th out of 26 in my Rundle, at exactly .500, my worst ever. Yesterday's tie could have been a win if I had dropped the 2 on the opera instead of the sugar, in line with my opponents stats, but I usually give higher defense to a Q with 2 answers required, and I also figured that if I knew the opera, he would. A reasonable choice, but not the best one.

I dropped way too many 0's on missed Q's this time around. C'est LLa vie.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The funniest piece of Die Hard trivia I know is that the book it was based on ("Nothing Lasts Forever") was the sequel to a book called "The Detective". "The Detective" was adapted into a film in the '60s and starred Frank Sinatra. So when they started developing the film Die Hard, due to the way the contracts were structured, they were obligated to initially offer the part of John McClane to Sinatra (even though Sinatra was over 70 at the time).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Couldn't resist answering Lucia di Llamamoor. :mrgreen:
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

I have a super-slim chance of promotion...
and screwed up a question (in a low %age category for me) by not reading closely enough.

arrrgh!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*screams into pillow*
https://gizmodo.com/marlboro-maker-repo ... 1831219045 came one day late...
(And I messed up spelling 'Altria' as 'Altiva' because nothing like salt, right?)
Last edited by Volante on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MD 23 was a killer. I feel lucky to have escaped with a 3(3)-3(3) tie.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Glad that I was able to make the Anjou->Angevin connection that that was accepted as an alternative for Plantagenet.

The name "Usagi" in the typhoon list I knew was Japanese for rabbit, and that traditionally they see a "rabbit in the moon" rather than a man, so I thought perhaps that was a list of different countries' versions of the same.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:34 am The name "Usagi" in the typhoon list I knew was Japanese for rabbit, and that traditionally they see a "rabbit in the moon" rather than a man, so I thought perhaps that was a list of different countries' versions of the same.
I just guessed rabbit types (I know Usagi from Usagi Yojimbo, where he is, of course, a rabbit).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:34 am Glad that I was able to make the Anjou->Angevin connection that that was accepted as an alternative for Plantagenet.
You and me both, Chris. I was kicking myself for overthinking the question, going from Plantagenet to Angevin because of the Anjou origin. I knew that Plantagenet was considered a cadet branch of the Angevins so felt quite aggrieved when it didn't show up as an answer initially. On the Typhoon question, I said winds. You win some and you lose some, and some days it rains :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I came up with Plantagenet, but I always have to think about whether that's something real or something from Arthurian legend. I think I get it confused with Pendragon.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:14 am MD 23 was a killer. I feel lucky to have escaped with a 3(3)-3(3) tie.
3(1)-0(1) for me! They assigned me 3 for Plantagenet, which is fair. I'm still mathematically in the running for promotion, though I have to vault over 4 people to get there.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Woof wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:44 am
teapot37 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:34 am Glad that I was able to make the Anjou->Angevin connection that that was accepted as an alternative for Plantagenet.
You and me both, Chris. I was kicking myself for overthinking the question, going from Plantagenet to Angevin because of the Anjou origin. I knew that Plantagenet was considered a cadet branch of the Angevins so felt quite aggrieved when it didn't show up as an answer initially. On the Typhoon question, I said winds. You win some and you lose some, and some days it rains :)
On the typhoon question I answered "hurricanes" and got credit for it. You might say the 1 point for that question was a "windfall" as it salvaged a tie for me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Blue Lion wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:55 pm
Woof wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:44 am
On the typhoon question I answered "hurricanes" and got credit for it. You might say the 1 point for that question was a "windfall" as it salvaged a tie for me.
Another lucky break with hurricane here. I'm not in 100% agreement, but 'hurricane' has become synonymous for 'tropical cyclone' so with the clue as written, you couldn't not accept it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:35 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:14 am MD 23 was a killer. I feel lucky to have escaped with a 3(3)-3(3) tie.
3(1)-0(1) for me! They assigned me 3 for Plantagenet, which is fair. I'm still mathematically in the running for promotion, though I have to vault over 4 people to get there.
I was hoping you’d get relegated with me
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

The Plantagenet question was reminiscent of this FJ, and if memory serves, Mr. Daunt once reported that Alex asked the contestants afterward if the question was too easy, and all agreed it was. Granted, these were three ToC finalists.

Based on "Maria" and "Cimaron" (which I think reminded me of "simoom") I guessed "winds". I cherished the vague hope that this would be judged close enough to typhoons but alas no.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

So much terrible defense this season, but at least it was mostly turning wins into ties in the second half. I'm safely out of relegation, but it's been a rotten month for trivia, in LL and other places. Bring on 2019!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:34 am The name "Usagi" in the typhoon list I knew was Japanese for rabbit, and that traditionally they see a "rabbit in the moon" rather than a man, so I thought perhaps that was a list of different countries' versions of the same.
I had the same thought. It didn't help that "maria" is the plural of "mare," the scientific term for a lunar sea. I didn't end up saying that, but now I don't remember what I said, and I can't remember where to find the link to see your old answers.