Thursday, December 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Board
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE WORKS OF MOZART

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Composed in 1791, the year he died, & last in the Kochel catalog of all his works, K. 626 is this work

Jackie Fuchs: 8600-8600=0
Carrie Blazina: 9200-9199=1
Andrew Kung: 25200-4200=21000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Requiem (in D minor) (Jackie – Jupiter Symphony) (Carrie – Magic Flute) (Andrew – Marriage of Figaro)

Daily Doubles
Andrew: 1000+1000
Andrew: 16600+4600
Andrew: 21200+3200

Coryats
Jackie: 8600
Carrie: 9200
Andrew: 19400

Combined: 37,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jackie: 200
Carrie: 5600
Andrew: 8600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was great to see the Fillion show in a clue since I put it in the Current Events thread months ago.

The Baffert clue was a good recent memory test since the winner was not that long ago. The miss was not surprising. More surprising was Jackie not rebounding the Laurel & Hardy miss as she tried to dig up the names she knew that were not coming to her. It was just not Jackie’s day as her 4-1-1 error demonstrated.

Edited to add: Really not her day (well, afternoon taping session) as Jackie's Reddit posts indicate: https://www.reddit.com/user/BassPlayingSugarplum

Thank you writers (and players) for the opportunity to go 10/10 in TV: THE WHAT? & POP CULTURE PAIRS.

Of course if I know that kind of stuff that means the FJ! clue would not be my thing. I had the misses by the challengers on my precall list off the category along with Don Giovanni to go 0/3 for what the clue wanted. My LL for classical music is .549 and I matched Carrie for not getting it.

I saw the movie first run 34 years ago for the first and only time. It was not going to help me today.

Nice debut win by Andrew to win in a runaway making all three DDs work for him.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I remembered just enough of Amadeus to get to a coin flip for FJ. Unfortunately, it landed on the wrong side.

Edited to add that per her comment at Reddit, Jackie was apparently not well during the episode, resulting in a significant break that obviously wasn't shown. She managed to complete the game but under less than ideal circumstances (and Alex does spend some time at the credits checking in with her).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Jackie seemed fatigued. Lots of wrong guesses. But Andrew's buzzsaw performance didn't help her either.

Odd that both rounds left clues on the board, yet neither had an LTaM.

NHO "Suits". That seemed very obscure for the top box. That whole category seemed garbage.

Blanked on "housekeeper" and NHO oyster fork.

Also NHO "The Rookie".

What was the TOM for Prince on America for $400? That IMO was tougher than saguaro in the bottom box, and was my only miss.

I didn't see any way to puzzle this one out at all. The correct response rings not the faintest of bells for me, and I see this one polling low.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

How is "The Wire" a $1000 clue?

Also I definitely want to visit the Lizzie Borden House.

I think they might have cleared the board in J! if it weren't for that video category...

Ruling on "officiating" for "umpire"? It names a specific individual, but "this profession" makes me inclined to think that the more general term is acceptable.

This was a great board for me on the whole, my worst category was 3/5.

Coryat: $42,400; possibly $43,600 depending on the above.

J: DD Correct.4/4 on Emily Post and Latin (Thanks, Dr. Dixon!); 4/5 on Words of Science (Made the same mistake as Andrew on the $1000 clue), Recent Events, and Clues Across America.

DJ: Definitely 1 DD correct, see above for the second. 5/5 on XO and Hugs and KIsses. Said "Emperor" for Alex 1 because he reigned after 1721 (this is a pet peeve of mine); Having "Tsar" as an acceptable response is probably the correct way to go, but it's secondary at best after Pete 1 (and there are some for whom it's inaccurate to call them the "Tsar of Russia"--by the end, "Tsar" only came up in the Emperor's full title in reference to non-Russian parts of the Empire). 4/4 on Spider Verse and Communications; 3/3 on State Constitutions.

FJ: Instaget. Alex was thinking the same thing I was: "Haven't these people ever seen Amadeus?"

LT: Justified, Signal Corps
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Andrew's Coryat was lower than I assumed it would be, but he was fantastic either way. Matched his incorrect Final response.

Thanks for linking the Reddit thread, MB, would not have looked there until later. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Jackie, and congrats on a great run!

Might not matter in the long run, but the ToC bubble is becoming quite entertaining. :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:32 pm ...

Ruling on "officiating" for "umpire"? It names a specific individual, but "this profession" makes me inclined to think that the more general term is acceptable.

LT: Justified, Signal Corps
I think "officiating" is not accepted as is. I think it would get a BMS. The question is whether you could have specified to umpire if needed.

I was in grade school when I first learned of Bill Klem: https://www.google.com/search?q=bill+kl ... qU--iCEE0M:

I know for sure "Justified" is a neg.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I definitely heard a LTaM after clearing the video category in the first round. I would be interested in who got FJ without having seen Amadeus
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Haven't seen Amadeus since the mid-80's, so my guess matched Carrie's.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Good run for Jackie, but she needed a little of her trademark luck and Andrew wasn't letting up. (Also, I see, she was having a stomach problem that will involve surgery next month. Ow.) Still, she battled back to a respectable score after a dismal SJ round. It would've been interesting if Andrew had missed those two DDs and put himself in striking range. Jackie would've needed to be within 2/3 and to know how to wager from that position.

Was the clue correct when it said meteors burn up due to friction? The NASA web site implies this. But I assumed they burned up for the same reason rockets need heat shields. They compress the air in front of them, thus super-heating it. Not to disagree with NASA, but this web site agrees with that analysis. Can someone get Joon Pahk back in here to answer this?

Prince's recording studio and eventual dwelling looked like a boring office park. I was surprised. How soul-crushing would it be to call a place like that home? I hope it was nicer on the inside. But even so, I just can't imagine approaching that building in a car and feeling, ahhhh, I'm home. I'm surprised in particular that Prince, an artist known for his colorful, non-subdued style, would have lived there. I mean, if they'd said that was Yanni's place, I'd have said of course it is.

Morse code doesn't strike me as a technology. I think Carrie should have been BMSed and made to cough up telegraph or telegram.

Surprised this FJ was a TS. I guess they haven't seen the movie. Jackie and Carrie came up with respectable late period guesses. Jackie chose Mozart's last symphony, Carrie his last opera. Those guesses suggest more than a passing acquaintance with Mozart. Andrew's guess of Figaro--the earliest Mozart opera that still gets frequently performed--wasn't as good, but then it didn't need to be.

Mrs Penguin said "What is the requiem mass?" for FJ. I told her I thought that would be fine. Anyone else have any thoughts on that?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

The “In God We Trust” clue mentioned the “7th District Court.” There is no such thing, at least on the federal level. I think the writers meant the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, which is the court that issued the recent ruling.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:32 pm Also I definitely want to visit the Lizzie Borden House.
I would want to sneak up and tape a note on the bottom of the sign right under the part that says NO VACANCIES. The note would add, "But we're expecting the master suite to open up within the week.
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:35 am Edited to add: Really not her day (well, afternoon taping session) as Jackie's Reddit posts indicate: https://www.reddit.com/user/BassPlayingSugarplum
Not sure that I'm taking this at face value.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Thanks to Falco(plus not having seen Amadeus), had I been behind the podium, I would have instantly written "The Magic Flute", spent the next 25 seconds staring smugly at the camera counting my money, only to have my jaw fall on the floor when ruled wrong.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:44 pm Morse code doesn't strike me as a technology.
Historians, archaeologists, and anthropologists regularly talk about writing as a technology, as well as mass mobilization and propaganda as technologies of modern states. Really, a technology is just any artificial human creation we use to manipulate and interact with our environment and one another--it's not just limited to physical devices, but includes ideas, processes, skillsets, etc.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Sorry to see Jackie go, but Andrew was a force. Jackie is possibly my second favorite contestant since I've been following for two years, right after Cindy Stowell. Jackie should be in a Dos Equis commercial imho, and I'm sorry we don't get to hear more stories. I figured it was fatigue and a slow buzzer, but she tended to start slow and blow it away later. When Andrew pulled the last two DD's, that was game, set, and match - he could just bet safe and know that someone else couldn't hurt him.

FJ - Of course this should be an instaget since we visited Salzberg and Mozart's home just 10 weeks ago. But, Bugs Bunny apparently never played any Mozart and I haven't seen the Amadeus flick. I know one familiar passage, I think from Nachtmusik, but I couldn't even remember that for a wrong answer. Another lousy week for me.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 pm Not sure that I'm taking this at face value.
This is literally the most disrespectful thing I have ever read on JBoard.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Count me as another who is sad to see Jackie go. In addition to being an entertaining contestant, she also has — as I recently posted on Facebook— the best contestant interview stories ever. Got FJ tonight, largely on the strength of my recollection of Amadeus.