Thursday, December 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Thursday, December 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 »

DBear wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 pm I would be interested in who got FJ without having seen Amadeus
I've seen the movie but a long time ago and I didn't remember that detail from it. I guessed "Requiem" from the "year [Mozart] died" (i.e., a death reference) and "his last work" parts of the clue.

Really enjoyed Jackie's run.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

No clue on FJ. Amadeus is one of the few Best Pictures I haven't yet seen. Although I was a bit perplexed at Alex reacting like it was some sort of federal crime not to have seen the movie the way he did. That movie is, what, 35 years old? It's not quite at a Gone with the Wind or The Godfather level of cultural ubiquity.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:45 pm The “In God We Trust” clue mentioned the “7th District Court.” There is no such thing, at least on the federal level. I think the writers meant the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, which is the court that issued the recent ruling.
A 7th Circuit ruling came first, Mayle v United States. Doe v United States in the 8th Circuit came later. A little less disturbing that they mixed up District and Circuit than if they couldn't tell 7 from 8...
teapot37 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:40 pm No clue on FJ. Amadeus is one of the few Best Pictures I haven't yet seen. Although I was a bit perplexed at Alex reacting like it was some sort of federal crime not to have seen the movie the way he did. That movie is, what, 35 years old? It's not quite at a Gone with the Wind or The Godfather level of cultural ubiquity.
Maybe not, but it's a J! perennial...3 other clues this year...last FJ on it was in 2016. The kind of clue that the writers wouldn't expect us to know without the movie...
mujason

Post by mujason »

From the Seinfeld season seven episode "The Maestro":

JERRY: Did you have a good time?

ELAINE: Yeah, he's very interesting. Did you know that Mozart died while he was writing 'The Requiem'.

JERRY: (Sarcastically) Yeah, everyone knows that, it was in Amadeus.

ELAINE: Really?
-Jason
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My choir has done Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus, also composed during his last year, and our director mentioned that it was one of the last things he composed, along with the Requiem, so it was pretty easy for me. My dad got it once I told him "the year he died" was a hint.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:40 pm No clue on FJ. Amadeus is one of the few Best Pictures I haven't yet seen. Although I was a bit perplexed at Alex reacting like it was some sort of federal crime not to have seen the movie the way he did. That movie is, what, 35 years old? It's not quite at a Gone with the Wind or The Godfather level of cultural ubiquity.
While taking a music class at a business college (I have never had the slightest interest in business, but never mind--I am not a role model), our professor had asked us to visit the college library sometime and watch "Amadeus". A session or two later, he asked the class who had taken the time to see it, and not a single hand was lifted. He then went on a rant about how HE had a PhD but could, all the same, indulge once in a while in stuff like "Card Sharks", so why could WE not trouble OURselves to spend a bit OUR time improving ourselves on more highbrow fare than we were used to. I, for one, had kept my hand down because I'd already seen it, but I saw no need to justify myself to this poseur still affecting the John Lennon look in the mid-1980s. I was going to write up a "those who can't..." description of the guy but it got so involved and no one's paying me for this so never mind, again.

Anyway, congrats to Jackie on her run (and good luck with your stomach) and Andrew of course and gee it feels churlish to congratulate two contestants out of three so um you're all winners, and so was the game itself and so was everyone who watched.
I'm smart and I want respect.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I didn't perform well today, and I missed my first FJ this week. Didn't have many ideas to pick from, so I also guessed Magic Flute.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

good to see a champion finally go down again...hoping for a slew of one and doners in the coming episodes

no clue on the final jeopardy clue...only mozart piece i can name is don giovanni and that is because it was shoved down my throat every time i ventured into old town prague when i went to uni there
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Woof wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:22 pm Count me as another who is sad to see Jackie go. In addition to being an entertaining contestant, she also has — as I recently posted on Facebook— the best contestant interview stories ever. Got FJ tonight, largely on the strength of my recollection of Amadeus.
wouldn't know anything about her interviews...i ffwd through that fluff...get rid of that waste of time and have more trivia
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

have never seen amadeus...also have never seen the other 2 movies you mentioned either
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:34 am
Woof wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:22 pm Count me as another who is sad to see Jackie go. In addition to being an entertaining contestant, she also has — as I recently posted on Facebook— the best contestant interview stories ever. Got FJ tonight, largely on the strength of my recollection of Amadeus.
wouldn't know anything about her interviews...i ffwd through that fluff...get rid of that waste of time and have more trivia
I was wondering when Alex called Andrew "descendant of Confucius" during the FJ reveals, what someone who skipped the interviews must have thought of that.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:44 pm
Mrs Penguin said "What is the requiem mass?" for FJ. I told her I thought that would be fine. Anyone else have any thoughts on that?
A musical requiem is usually a form of mass, and Mozart's Requiem certainly was. However, it is called simply "Requiem," as distinct from, say Mozart's B-Minor Mass. I would be inclined to accept it, but can't say for sure what the judges might do.

Back in 1991-2, the Cleveland Orchestra celebrated the 200th anniversary of Mozart's death year by performing both of those works. I was in the Cleveland Orchestra Chorus so I was privileged to perform them both. Needless to say, this was an instaget FJ.

Whatever was going on with Jackie (and if she says she was fading badly or even becoming ill, that certainly seems plausible), the drop-off in performance was pretty stark. She conflated 411 with 911 for the emergency phone number, which was truly not up to the level of performance she set in the previous four games. Then she immediately came up with the tough mythology clue about Arachne, so she wasn't completely dead in the water. Just not enough juice to overcome powerhouse Andrew this game.

I'm also sad to see her go, and enjoyed her run immensely.

Unlike some of you, this TV category may as well have been talking about "Famous Books in Esperanto" to me. I believe there are more television NETWORKS now than there were SHOWS 30-40 years ago, and I have no idea how anyone acquires even a passing acquaintance with that much material and still has a real life.

On the other hand, The Old Guy picked up one TS today on the Hope/Crosby film collaboration. FWIW they did (I believe) seven "Road to..." movies, one of the more successful "franchises" of the era.

And just to show that my brain is continuing to leak like a sieve, I absolutely. could. not. dredge. up. the. word. "FLUID" for what you call both liquids and gases, a word I have known for decades. Groan, time for my nap.

Andrew...nice, nice job, fellow!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:44 pm Was the clue correct when it said meteors burn up due to friction? The NASA web site implies this. But I assumed they burned up for the same reason rockets need heat shields. They compress the air in front of them, thus super-heating it. Not to disagree with NASA, but this web site agrees with that analysis. Can someone get Joon Pahk back in here to answer this?
Well, what do you think causes the heating from compression? Friction, my fine feathered Aptenodytes forsteri.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:22 pm
guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 pm Not sure that I'm taking this at face value.
This is literally the most disrespectful thing I have ever read on JBoard.
Yeah, I have no idea what could have prompted such a ridiculous assertion. Should we go seek out eyewitnesses from the taping? I'd be willing to bet a pretty hefty amount she has surgery next month as advertised.

For FJ, all I could do was hope that he had an Unfinished Symphony as well. That didn't pan out very well.

I should hasten to add that that was a very nice run for Jackie. She should be kvelling.
billiej

Post by billiej »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:35 am Edited to add: Really not her day (well, afternoon taping session) as Jackie's Reddit posts indicate: https://www.reddit.com/user/BassPlayingSugarplum
Not sure that I'm taking this at face value.
Why? I don't know Jackie, but even I could tell something wasn't right during that episode. I immediately thought she might not be feeling well. Never imagined it was something serious enough to require surgery, but it sounds like she has it under control now, so that's a good thing.
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:09 am
guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 pm Not sure that I'm taking this at face value.
Yeah, I have no idea what could have prompted such a ridiculous assertion. Should we go seek out eyewitnesses from the taping? I'd be willing to bet a pretty hefty amount she has surgery next month as advertised.
What prompted my "ridiculous" assertion was watching and listening to Jackie for five consecutive episodes. I fully believe that taping had to be paused (for an interval that "probably should have been longer") for her sake, but I also recognize that Jackie's the exact type of person who would have a "hypoglycemic episode" while taping a game show.

But, hey, maybe we should all just be sad that her "ultimate dream" FJ! category and "love" of the categories in general "for once" were rendered moot by an unfortunate incident leaving her "barely functional" for the match.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:49 am
What prompted my "ridiculous" assertion was watching and listening to Jackie for five consecutive episodes. I fully believe that taping had to be paused (for an interval that "probably should have been longer") for her sake, but I also recognize that Jackie's the exact type of person who would have a "hypoglycemic episode" while taping a game show.

But, hey, maybe we should all just be sad that her "ultimate dream" FJ! category and "love" of the categories in general "for once" were rendered moot by an unfortunate incident leaving her "barely functional" for the match.
Which is more likely - that a 4 day Jeopardy Champion lied about something that is easily verified by her fellow contestants - or you're an a** (at Christmas, no less) who thinks anyone cares about your two-bit dime store psycho babble?? Two can certainly play at that and I'm going to put the odds of the latter at 100%.

Take your Grinch self elsewhere because speaking for myself, your classless opinion is not welcome here.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:49 am What prompted my "ridiculous" assertion was watching and listening to Jackie for five consecutive episodes. I fully believe that taping had to be paused (for an interval that "probably should have been longer") for her sake, but I also recognize that Jackie's the exact type of person who would have a "hypoglycemic episode" while taping a game show.

Just keeping our mouths shut is always an option.

Look, I assume we all have times where a contestant rubs us the wrong way or strikes us as phony or whatever. I say "I assume" because I don't know for sure. Why don't I know? Because most of us realize it's not cool to say things like that in a public forum where the entire world--including the contestant, her friends, her relatives, her enemies, and Santa--can read them.

My solution to the need to say such things is that I say them to my wife. If you haven't got one of those, maybe you have a cat or a dog?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:44 pm Was the clue correct when it said meteors burn up due to friction? The NASA web site implies this. But I assumed they burned up for the same reason rockets need heat shields. They compress the air in front of them, thus super-heating it. Not to disagree with NASA, but this web site agrees with that analysis. Can someone get Joon Pahk back in here to answer this?
Well, what do you think causes the heating from compression? Friction, my fine feathered Aptenodytes forsteri.
Unless I'm mistaken, friction is not the same as compression nor is it the reason compression causes heating. Friction is the force resisting the motion of a fluid (air) across the surface of a body (the meteorite). Heating from friction comes primarily along the sides of the meteorite as it passes through air. It also comes at the front of the meteorite from air that manages to slip around and slide up the sides. Heating from pressure involves the gas that can't get out of the way in time and slide up the sides to cause heat from friction. Instead, the gas compresses and that compression is directly proportional to the rise in temperature. It's that non-friction heat at the FRONT of the meteorite (relative to its motion of travel) that is the primary cause of the meteorite burning. The heat from friction is, as I understand it, secondary.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:49 am

It always amazes me when people double down on classlessness, as if they revel in showing off their low emotional intelligence.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:30 am ...hoping for a slew of one and doners in the coming episodes
Why?