LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by classicroadster »

Koin has been so unfair to me in the last week or so, changing wins to ties and ties to losses. Now I need a miracle to get promoted when I was in first late last week...
classicroadster

Also, can a grammar person (which I am not) tell me which word is the preposition from Q6 yesterday? I also thought articles were parts of speech and ruled out interjections as a basic part of speech.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:11 am Also, can a grammar person (which I am not) tell me which word is the preposition from Q6 yesterday? I also thought articles were parts of speech and ruled out interjections as a basic part of speech.
to
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Thank you, Patkav, for generously missing stamp collecting and allowing me to not be relegated this season. It will give you a chance to avenge yourself next season!

I have never heard of Quinn Martin. The weird "QM" names I came up with were quite marvelous. I also couldn't remember the name of the producer of "All in the Family" - one of the few 70s producers I could think of. I couldn't get Norman Mailer out of my mind, knowing it was wrong
Spoiler
(Norman Lear is correct)
. I mistakenly thought that the "Mailer" part was right and submitted Quincy Mailer.

"My little dog and I run quickly to the park."

Here's my best guess... I haven't done this since grade 6:
Pronoun adjective noun conjunction pronoun verb adverb preposition article/adjective noun
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:30 am I have never heard of Quinn Martin.
As one of the few who got it, I can only surmise that having seen it so many times when I was young must have imprinted itself somewhere in my brain. I have no idea how I was able to dredge it forth as quickly as I did after a very short detour to Quincy.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

One of my favorite shows of all time is The Fugitive, starring, you know, David Janssen as Dr. Richard Kimble and Barry Morse as Lt. Philip Gerard, a QUINN MARTIN PRODUCTION. I still watch old episodes occasionally. Yes, I'm an older dude.
classicroadster

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:21 am
classicroadster wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:11 am Also, can a grammar person (which I am not) tell me which word is the preposition from Q6 yesterday? I also thought articles were parts of speech and ruled out interjections as a basic part of speech.
to
Thanks, I was thinking to was a conjunction...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said Hanna Barbera for the Quincy guy. :oops:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:15 am
to
As Lenny Bruce famously stated, to is a preposition, come is a verb :mrgreen:
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:37 am
boson wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:30 am I have never heard of Quinn Martin.
As one of the few who got it, I can only surmise that having seen it so many times when I was young must have imprinted itself somewhere in my brain. I have no idea how I was able to dredge it forth as quickly as I did after a very short detour to Quincy.
An additional aspect that would have imprinted it is that an announcer over the credits would boldly proclaim "A Quinn Martin Production". It wasn't just a title on the screen. And I think it was a big, bold title too. (Back in the days when you couldn't fast forward past the opening and end credits.)

Offhand... The Fugitive, Barnaby Jones, that show with William Conrad as a detective, The F.B.I., Streets of San Francisco...

ETA: Apparently, the voice-over and titles (QM vs Quinn Martin) varied from show to show, but here's an example.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Rundle in the Jundle update:

The private rundle for JBoardies is coming down to the wire: Teapot37 is leading with 34 points and a 42 match point differential. In second place is SwanShadow with 33 point and a match point differential of 32. The winner of this match wins the rundle! I was hoping being in third place that I could sneak through, but unless they both forfeit (and I'm lucky enough to beat Woof) that isn't in the cards.

Good luck to all on the last day!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Tough season. Glad it's over.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I finished LL79 in 4th place in Taiga E Division 1, earning a second promotion (by 1 point) to D rundle for LL80.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A 3-game win streak brought me over .500 for the first time this season and back into the upper half of the rundle. A well-balanced TCA of 101 (lowest in 15 seasons) and a CAA of 100. Personally, I thought it was a harder than usual season. Some real toughies in there.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Somehow the unthinkable has happened. The person who was in the top-5 most of the season lost her last 3 and the person in 6th forfeited. So, my win pushed me from 7th to 5th, which promotes me to A. The person in 8th, who has 13 more TCA than I do also has 2 FL, so he most certainly would have beat me, too. I'm sure it will only last 1 season (my 92 TCA would have put me in 23rd in A).
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:06 am Somehow the unthinkable has happened. The person who was in the top-5 most of the season lost her last 3 and the person in 6th forfeited. So, my win pushed me from 7th to 5th, which promotes me to A. The person in 8th, who has 13 more TCA than I do also has 2 FL, so he most certainly would have beat me, too. I'm sure it will only last 1 season (my 92 TCA would have put me in 23rd in A).
I just wrote a post congratulating you for your promotion, posted it in the wrong thread, and deleted it. I've noticed that some Rundles A have very narrow relegation zones, so you might stick longer than you expect.

My LL79 was fairly typical in TCA (87) but didn't feel typical as the season went along. Part of that was because my defense was the worst it's been since my rookie season. Fortunately, I had favorable CAA, so the six-game winning streak with which I ended the season raised me to one spot short of promotion. If you neglect LL78, which I sat out, I've now been in C for 12 consecutive seasons.

One potential down side of being a ronin is that I think it's impossible to get a serendipitous promotion. It does increase the probability that I will make it through my LL career without ever getting relegated, though.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I was in the promotion zone to C (top 3) from the end of MD 12 through the end of MD 24, tied on the last day, and fell to 5th. It is probably for the better, as I really do not belong in C.

My 59 TCA this season was my third lowest total ever (I had three previous seasons with 57 and one with 58) and my worst since LL 69. It seemed like this season played easy on the leaguewide level (at least during the first half) but it was just brutal for me. I benefited from a low CAA and a few matches where my opponents made some strange decisions on defense.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:06 am Somehow the unthinkable has happened. The person who was in the top-5 most of the season lost her last 3 and the person in 6th forfeited. So, my win pushed me from 7th to 5th, which promotes me to A. The person in 8th, who has 13 more TCA than I do also has 2 FL, so he most certainly would have beat me, too. I'm sure it will only last 1 season (my 92 TCA would have put me in 23rd in A).
Congrats! Welcome to the roller coaster.

Had I not won on a forfeit against the player who ran away with A Prairie -- 134 TCA in his other 24 matches -- then I would been relegated back to B once again.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

After MD 11 I was dead last in my rundle at 2-8-1. From that point on I went 10-2-2 to finish 10th. I'll take it.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:49 am
classicroadster wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:15 am
to
As Lenny Bruce famously stated, to is a preposition, come is a verb :mrgreen:
In and out of the pool four times