for Survivor talk

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by Category 13 »

teapot37 wrote:
Spoiler
I wish we could have ever had some reason why Nick was so dead-set on getting Alison out. I never got any sense she was any sort of threat to win (although that may have just been because of her lack of screen time).
A couple things I picked up on about Nick from the later episodes: He had a highly vindictive attitude against anyone who dared plot a blindside on him. He was also one of the most paranoid post merge players I've ever seen on the show. If a player were wary about those two personality traits, they could have used it to manipulate his vote quite easily, IMO.

I didn't see Alison as a threat either. Malnutrition seemed to be wearing her down in the late stages of the game.
As far as rooting, I was neutral on her for most of the game. But she completely lost me when she went straight to Mike (?) and spilled the beans about Christian's plan to blindside Nick. I couldn't wait to see her go after that.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

There was a lot of questionable babbling of secret plans this season. No one could keep their mouth shut and at the same time the plotters didn't need to tell nearly everyone of secret plans.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I missed the first five episodes due to being on an extended road trip.
As my rooting interests developed, I liked Davie as my favorite to win, with Christian a close second. Carl was my favorite underdog.
After Christian and Davie where voted off, I had no one left to root for. Mike's confessionals were entertaining, and spot on with the assessment of the other players.
Spoiler
I wanted Kara to win the fire making challenge but she just choked badly. I would have voted for Mike to win after he made the Final 3.
Nick made the correct choice to take Angelina to the F3. She just kept digging herself deeper and deeper in the final tribal. No self awareness whatsoever but plenty of self centered.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:11 pm I didn't see Alison as a threat either. Malnutrition seemed to be wearing her down in the late stages of the game.
As far as rooting, I was neutral on her for most of the game. But she completely lost me when she went straight to Mike (?) and spilled the beans about Christian's plan to blindside Nick. I couldn't wait to see her go after that.
I've not been a regular Survivor viewer but watched this season start to finish. That was one of the things that struck me most is how no one ever seemed to have any idea of who they should trust or any sense about keeping crucial information to themselves. Nearly every time someone tried to make a big move, someone they confided in immediately went and spilled the beans to someone else, and usually either 2nd or 3rd hand, the potential victim was made aware of it. Likewise with everyone wanting to tell people they found an idol, tell people that someone else had an idol, tell about plans for a fake idol, etc. I guess knowledge is power so people want to give stuff away in order to hopefully curry favor with others but at some point keeping stuff to yourself would be quite powerful as well and it didn't feel like anyone on this show ever got that.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: The most disappointing part of the reunion show was (no results spoiler): No ceremonial burning of Angelina's pants.
Not quite Phillip Shepherd's pink undershorts but I see your point.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The season had swings with the Goliaths ahead 7-6 at the merge and 7-5 after the first vote yet the Davids were able to swing the advantage back to their side. It went the other way with Goliath ahead 4-1 by the end though they could not close their edge thanks to Nick's winning individual immunity challenges.

Of the final 3 I would have gone minority with a vote for Mike as he was not the one being blindsided on multiple votes. Mike has competed on 2 of the 3 big CBS reality shows. Next they should throw him in in the Big Brother celebrity house for a couple of weeks.

Angelina was a fascinating villain and I expect to see her on Survivor again. She played hard and was always thinking of creative ways to top previous evil deeds.

I did not mind Natalie from a TV distance while I kept thinking I would not want her as a boss, co-worker or neighbor. It's hilarious that she did not think she was portrayed fairly on the show.

Alec is the not the first dummy to violate the NDA and cost himself money and the chance to be at the reunion.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

jeff6286 wrote:Likewise with everyone wanting to tell people they found an idol, tell people that someone else had an idol, tell about plans for a fake idol, etc. I guess knowledge is power so people want to give stuff away in order to hopefully curry favor with others but at some point keeping stuff to yourself would be quite powerful as well and it didn't feel like anyone on this show ever got that.
That's one of my biggest peaves about the show. The lack of self discipline on keeping an idol secret drives me crazy. Of the few players who have never told a sole until they played it, (Russell Hantz not withstanding) Jeremy is the only one that comes to mind. And that went a long way towards him deservidly winning.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

JayK33 wrote: Spoiler=regarding the returnees: David and Aubry are the two of those four I am looking forward to seeing again the most. The other two I don't care about.
Aubry was an interesting player and had my rooting interest during B vs B vs B. But after her return for another season I quickly grew tired of her presence in the game. She seemed to be developing too much of a self entitlement complex as the game wore on, IMHO.
David was a very likable underdog in his season. But he had more than his share of camera time, IMO, and I think that is likely to continue and cause me to grow weary of him. They need to either put a two season cap on popular players or give them more than a couple years off before bringing them back .

I always get Joe mixed up with Malcolm Freberg.

Kelly Wentworth, WTF? It seems they are still having trouble filling out a cast with fresh faces.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:55 pm Angelina was a fascinating villain and I expect to see her on Survivor again. She played hard and was always thinking of creative ways to top previous evil deeds.
Probst has already said she is his #1 choice for a returning contestant from this season.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

teapot37 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Angelina was a fascinating villain and I expect to see her on Survivor again. She played hard and was always thinking of creative ways to top previous evil deeds.
Probst has already said she is his #1 choice for a returning contestant from this season.
As if she hasn't made enough of a social media punching bag of herself.
I guess for Jeff, its good ratings at any cost.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not news for fans of the show though a bonus for drive-by visitors who are not aware: The Edge of Extinction season beginning February 20, 2019 will be season 38 of the show that has aired more than 550 episodes.

If it seems hard to believe:

The show began in May 2000 and did so well it came back in the January of 2001. That's S1 & S2. Since then it's been 2 seasons in a calendar year.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Once again, they vote off the old person. I like quite a few of the contestants so far & I was rooting for Reem to stay. I hope none of the four returnees wins this season. I don’t mind seasons of all returnees but it seems unfair to mix them with rubes.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Season 1 contestant and all together Survivor legend Rudy Boesch passed away recently. He was 91.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

JayK33 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:05 am Season 1 contestant and all together Survivor legend Rudy Boesch passed away recently. He was 91.
For that matter, so has the person who started this topic (albeit not 91 at the time).
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

"Oh, I made myself sad."

Reading through the first few posts of this thread was an interesting blast from the past. I used to be a regular Survivor watcher, but, after making me suffer through several seasons of various Hantzes, they finally got rid of me when they darkened my screen with Colton Cumbie a second time, and I haven't been back.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

They've had some entertaining seasons the last five years or so.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

The last season I watched in full was Ghost Island. Edge of Extinction, even though I'll probably watch, doesn't interest me much right now. That twist seems awful and the final result sure did also.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

wwtbambored.com is still a daily morning visit when I'm first online and posters there always share RIPs. It was sad when I saw one for Rudy Boesch and I did not have to click it to know who it was. S1 Rudy was one of the most memorable reality show contestants ever.

Survivor keeps going and works because of the contestants, Jeff, the challenges and tribal council. Long may it continue.

For this season: Boston Rob's structure to pass the time with Sandra while waiting for visitors is amazing.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

RIP Rudy.

I like Noura just because she’s so crazy. I’m rooting for a Lairo (original) to win overall, especially Elaine, Missy, or Elizabeth.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Very classy by CBS going with a double message Rudy tribute and photo after the tribal council to make sure more viewers saw it instead of at the very end after the previews/votes when some might miss it. Spoilers only to shorten length of the post with the images.
Spoiler

Jeff handled an unusual tribal council with great tact and skill. Tonight is going to mean something more at the end of the game.