Friday, December 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHY & THE MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Named the first U.S. National Monument in 1906, it was featured prominently in a blockbuster movie 71 years later

Andrew Kung: 18000-11601=6399
Ellie Jostad: minus 2000
Graham Fulton III: 14800+7400=22200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Devils Tower (Yes, Devil’s Tower is fine as well.) (Andrew – Lincoln Memorial)

Daily Doubles
Andrew: 5200+3200
Graham: 10000+2000
Andrew: 22000-4000

Coryats
Andrew: 19600
Ellie: minus 2000
Graham: 13600

Combined: 31,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Andrew: 8400
Ellie: 0
Graham: 5600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex’s opening went back to Jackie and he said to keep your fingers crossed that you may see her again in the Tournament of Champions if everything works out properly.

Andrew did his part to help as his run ended early when he did not solve the FJ! clue. Movie portion for me as I can add 71 to 1906 to get 1977. Movie with a featured landmark? Done before the music began although I matched Graham with the apostrophe.

If Andrew solved the very gettable DD3 he would have had 26000 for the FJ! round so still no lock.

I can already hear the yelps across social medial (it better not happen here) about Andrew adding “Walking in a” to his $1600 correct response in SLEIGHING SONGS. Contestants can add correct lyrics to a song title as long as there is nothing limiting such a thing in the clue’s wording.

Ellie’s game was the kind of nightmare not to wish on anyone. Being part of a buzzer sandwich is tough to overcome and she never got going.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:37 pm Alex’s opening went back to Jackie and he said to keep your fingers crossed that you may see her again in the Tournament of Champions if everything works out properly.
Even if the cutoff sits at the end of the season and not 8 weeks into Season 36, Jackie only has a 15% chance of qualifying.

If it is 8 weeks into S36, that drops to 4.4%.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Alex does not appear to be a reliable source for ToC speculation. After somebody went on a 5+ game run late last season, he announced on-air that the player would return for "this year's" ToC.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I had just "piano" on size for $600. Anticpated a BMS on just "piano". Didn't expect "grand piano" to also be BMSed, but I was able to convert it anyway.

Ran the Sauce and Sleighing songs.

Didn't think of oysters as animals, which cost me the run there.

Also NHO "magnum" wine bottles, for another 4/5.

Carson = golf swing was new to me.

Lach Trash: carpet

No guess on FJ! Can't say the final response rings any bells.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Took about 25 seconds, but I got to Devil's Tower.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

"Size Matters" I snickered.

"Sleighing Songs" would have been a good category to pun up on between J and DJ, with the other one being "Slaying Songs."

"Adamantius" makes me want to play Dwarf Fortress again.

This Cardinals fan always appreciates a Stan Musial clue.

How many peoples' first exposure to the Xanadu legend (maybe not the best word) nowadays comes from the Rush song?

Coryat: $42,200

J: 25R, 1W. Got DD. 5/5 on Size, TV, and Senators. 4/5 on Sauces (I said "Tabasco" instead of "Frank's")

DJ: 27R, 1W. Got both DDs (incidentally, The Battle of Algiers is a must-see). 5/5 on Free at Last, Sleighing Song, and P.J.s 4/5 on Nicknames ("Harp" instead of "Flute"), Psychology, and Dreamy Literature.

FJ: Nope. Immediately got to Close Encounters, but I couldn't pin down the name of the place.

LT: Carpet, Vermont, Ted Stevens, Prester John, Albania, Finland
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

after missing the last 3 final jeopardy clues i got this one right...have never seen the movie before, but knew it came out in 1977 and a devil's tower was prominent in it

ran the country independence category...not sure why the contestants struggled so much in it
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Euphonium wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:17 pm "Size Matters" I snickered.

"Sleighing Songs" would have been a good category to pun up on between J and DJ, with the other one being "Slaying Songs."

"Adamantius" makes me want to play Dwarf Fortress again.

This Cardinals fan always appreciates a Stan Musial clue.

How many peoples' first exposure to the Xanadu legend (maybe not the best word) nowadays comes from the Rush song?

Coryat: $42,200

J: 25R, 1W. Got DD. 5/5 on Size, TV, and Senators. 4/5 on Sauces (I said "Tabasco" instead of "Frank's")

DJ: 27R, 1W. Got both DDs (incidentally, The Battle of Algiers is a must-see). 5/5 on Free at Last, Sleighing Song, and P.J.s 4/5 on Nicknames ("Harp" instead of "Flute"), Psychology, and Dreamy Literature.

FJ: Nope. Immediately got to Close Encounters, but I couldn't pin down the name of the place.

LT: Carpet, Vermont, Ted Stevens, Prester John, Albania, Finland
would have loved it...some slayer and maybe some death metal clues...they never get the mainstream recognition that they deserve
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

That was quite a barn burner in the DJ round. Props to Graham for not giving up when it looked like Andrew was going to pull away.
His only falter was trying for a rebound on a $2000 clue that andrew missed. With only a handful of clues left, Graham was momentarily tied until he rang in and missed it himself.

Instaget on Final as soon as I did the math.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Well I got the year, of course, but I still couldn't think of anything viable. So that leaves me 3/5 for FJs this week which is better than I usually do.

Congrats to Graham on the win, and Andrew for playing well too. He was a good champ.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Only missing Bewitched, David Caruso, and Psychology $1200(Negged with Rule of Thirds))
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Carpet, Admission, Vermont, Ted Stevens, Prester John, John Keats, (Algeria), Albania, Finland

I must admit, this was definitely my proudest episode ever. Came across Robert Byrd on the Archive just the other day. Also had Ted Stevens as a question at my Pub Trivia not too long ago. Didn't even need the Close Encounters part of the clue to get the Final.
Douglas Squasoni
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:44 pm Alex does not appear to be a reliable source for ToC speculation anything.
FTFY LOL. Don't get my hopes up Uncle Alex! He's a great host and all, but his fact-checking leaves lots to be desired, on all fronts.

A tad disappointed in the outcome of the Leahy clue, but at least Andrew and Ellie were close. Met him through a student group a few years back.

Matched Andrew's incorrect Final response for the second straight day, I had no idea. Congrats to the new champ!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I'm guessing Andrew just misunderstood what FJ was looking for: a natural feature, not a man-made monument. Oh well. He had a really nice win in his first game.

If I don't run the category in psychology, I have to go home. Uh, wait, I was already at home, so I don't know where I'd have to go to hang my head.

Instaget FJ (only moment of hesitation: is it called Devil's "Tower" or "Monument?"). Truly, those of you who say you've never seen this movie, please do so. It's wonderful.

4-for-5 FJ this week gives me 13-for-15 over the past three weeks, a really good stretch for me.

Congrats to the new champ.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

My first thought for Final was the building with the steps that Rocky run ups in the namesake movie but the date was a little off and it just didn't seem to fit the clue very well. (That is the Philadelphia Museum of Art BTW). Hit on Devil's Tower next and immediately knew it would be correct.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

John Boy wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:40 am I'm guessing Andrew just misunderstood what FJ was looking for: a natural feature, not a man-made monument. Oh well. He had a really nice win in his first game.

If I don't run the category in psychology, I have to go home. Uh, wait, I was already at home, so I don't know where I'd have to go to hang my head.

Instaget FJ (only moment of hesitation: is it called Devil's "Tower" or "Monument?"). Truly, those of you who say you've never seen this movie, please do so. It's wonderful.

4-for-5 FJ this week gives me 13-for-15 over the past three weeks, a really good stretch for me.

Congrats to the new champ.
where in the clue does it suggest that it must be natural and not man-made?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:09 pm
where in the clue does it suggest that it must be natural and not man-made?
A strong implication from the mention of "Geography" in the category, not the clue. Unfortunately, I forgot about the category and tried to figure a statue or building. I knew Chrysler and Empire State buildings went up in the 30's, but not 4 segments over ten years so I just went for Hoover Dam hoping there was a bunch of unnecessary ceremonies. The July 4 date for the first part was a misdirection.

I've seen the movie and know the "monument". I still don't get natural places as "monuments". I also don't know why this one was the "first" when the Washington Monument was already 50 years old.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I couldn't make the natural vs man-made connection either. Not sure if it would have helped me though.