Monday, December 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7891, 2018-12-24

CONTESTANTS
Charbel Barakat, an attorney from Tampa, Florida
Nicole Neroulias Gupte, a nonprofit communications consultant from Seattle, Washington
Graham Fulton III, a musician and research engineering assistant from Ellington, Connecticut (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Happy holidays. Uh, an early Christmas present for somebody in this half-hour. Who will it be--Charbel, Nicole, or Graham? We'll start finding out right now.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOT FOR PROFIT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANAGRAMMED MINERALS (2/4)
WORDS OF COMFORT (3/3)
IT'S CHRISTMAS EVE (5/5) (Alex: We all know that.)
MY NAME IS MY NAME! (5/5)
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION (5/5) (Sarah: Just steps from Independence Hall, it's Philadelphia's Museaum of the American Revolution--a great place to find out how our independence happened.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Charbel: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Graham: 8 R, 0 W
Nicole: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Charbel: $5,200
Graham: $2,600
Nicole: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Charbel Barakat is an attorney from Tampa, Florida. We had, a few moments ago, a very good category called My Name Is My Name! Your first name, Charbel, is quite unusual.

Charbel: It--yes, it is. Uh, Charbel is one of the patron saints of Lebanon. Uh, he was a very holy man. He was a--a hermit. Uh, many miracles are attributed to his name. And he had a very epic beard, not unlike yourself at one point.

Alex: Okay. Good. Did he host a quiz show, also?

[ laughter ]

Charbel: By himself.

Alex: Yeah.

Alex: Nicole Neroulias Gupte from Seattle, Washington, a non-profit communications consultant whose New Year's resolution last year was to be a contestant on our program. Is that right?

Nicole: That's right. And here I am--

Alex: --And you've succeeded.

Nicole: Yes.

Alex: Uh, what's your--well, I was going to ask you what's your New Year's resolution for next week. Uh, are you allowed to divulge it?

Nicole: Uh, I always say I'm going to drink more water and then I do something intellectual. And now that I actually got on "Jeopardy!" I think maybe I'll focus on drinking more water.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

[ laughter ]

Alex: Graham Fulton III from El--Ellington, Connecticut is our champion. An airline once saved Christmas for you. How did they do that?

Graham: Well, they first did it by losing our luggage which had all the presents in it that we were bringing to the family.

Alex: Oh, dear.

Graham: And they finally called late on Christmas Eve and said they had found our luggage. And we walked into the--the office to get the luggage, we were all happy and jumping up and down. And they said, "You know, usually people are like really angry when they come in to get their luggage," but we were very happy.

Alex: They turned it around for you.

Graham: Yes, they did.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Charbel found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Graham had $2,800, Nicole had $1,200, and Charbel was at $5,600. Charbel wagered $3,000.

NOT FOR PROFIT $600: This actor's nonprofit sixdegrees.org makes connections between people & local causes

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANAGRAMMED MINERALS $400: Fireproof but unhealthy: OBSESS AT

ANAGRAMMED MINERALS $600: Gem-bright: OR ZINC
(The end-of-round signal sounds.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Charbel: $8,600
Graham: $5,400
Nicole: $4,200
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
VERY DEFINITELY FOR PROFIT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ASIAN GEOGRAPHY (5/5)
"POT"POURRI (4/5)
LITERARY CHARACTERS BASED ON REAL PEOPLE (2/3)
STICKER SHOCK (4/4)
LET'S PUT ON A SHOW (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Hey...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Charbel: 8 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Nicole: 8 R, 1 W
Graham: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Charbel snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Graham had $9,000, Nicole had $5,800, and Charbel was at $10,600. Charbel made it a True Daily Double, wagering $10,600.

VERY DEFINITELY FOR PROFIT $1200: Around 1920 he turned a $30 investment into a get-rich-quick "scheme" that defrauded folks out of $15 million
(Alex: $21,200 for you. Saint Charbel of Lebanon is smiling at you right now.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Charbel who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Graham had $7,800, Nicole had $8,200, and Charbel was at $25,600. Charbel wagered $600.

LET'S PUT ON A SHOW $1200: No. 5 in this play says, "I'd like to change my vote to not guilty"; the foreman replies, "Are you sure?"
(Alex: Charbel, am I correct in assuming that you're going to make this another True Daily Double?)
(laughter)
(Charbel: No, sir, we're going to make this...600 bucks.)
(Alex: $600 only?)
(Charbel: Yes, sir.)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VERY DEFINITELY FOR PROFIT $2000: Last name of American tobacco's James B., who smoked up profits with American Cigar & American Snuff
(Graham: Who is Reynolds?)
(Alex: There's a university named for him. Mr. [*].)

"POT"POURRI $2000: Solanum tuberosum
(Alex: You know it better as a [*].)
(laughter)

LITERARY CHARACTERS BASED ON REAL PEOPLE $1200: Murder victim Mary Rogers had her name Frenchified as this character in an Edgar Allan Poe mystery
(Alex: Mary Rogers became [*].)

LET'S PUT ON A SHOW $1600: In the play "Almost, Maine", people fall in & out of love while watching this celestial display
(Graham: What is a meteor shower?)
(Nicole: What is a lunar eclipse?)

LET'S PUT ON A SHOW $2000: A small Welsh town comes to life in this Dylan Thomas "play for voices"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Charbel: $28,200 (lock game)
Nicole: $10,200
Graham: $9,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH NAMES
(Alex: [British accent] I do believe this is a very good subject for Final Jeopardy!)

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Charbel: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Nicole: Wager $7,801 to cover Graham.
Graham: Risk between $1,201 and $6,600, covering Nicole's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last name of this 17th c. baronet who held many offices is synonymous with the govt. & especially the PM's residence

FINAL SCORES
Graham: $9,000 + $9,000 = $18,000 (Who is Downing?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Nicole: $10,200 + $7,800 = $18,000 (Who is Downing? Hi Kids!) (2nd place: $2,000)
Charbel: $28,200 + $2,500 = $30,700 (Who is Downing?!? :)) (New champion: $30,700)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Charbel: $17,000, 18 R (including 3 DDs), 0 W
Nicole: $10,200, 15 R, 1 W
Graham: $9,000, 14 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $36,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Charbel: 19/61 = .311
Nicole: 16/58 = .276
Graham: 15/58 = .259
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.) The first major museum dedicated to the American Revolution officially opened its doors on April 19, 2017--the 242nd anniversary of the start of the war, and the opening battles of these two towns

THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.) On July 9, 1776, just hours after the Declaration of Independence was read publicly for the first time in New York, a patriotic mob tore down a gilded statue, recreated here of this reigning king; parts of it would be melted down and used as ammo against the British

THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.) This Bible belonged to Sergeant Francis Merrifield who carried it with him during the war, and inscribed in it his desire to bless God for sparing his life at this bloody battle in June 1775, during the Siege of Boston

THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.) The standard for military training in the United States through the War of 1812 was a manual of regulations written by this Prussian officer whom Washington employed to train and discipline the troops

THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.) Here, you come face to face with some of the last survivors of the Revolutionary War photographed late in life, like Lemuel Cook, who lived past the age of 100, fought at Brandywine, and was present when Lord Cornwallis surrendered here
(Alex: You did well in that category. You have a big lead--you're at $4,200.)

NOT FOR PROFIT $400: The color of its logo shows that Casting for Recovery has fly-fishing retreats for women coping with this diagnosis

WORDS OF COMFORT $400: This triple rhyme phrase could describe a content flea in a type of floor covering
(Nicole: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Well, we'll accept that. It's a--what we were going for, of course, is [*].)
(Nicole: Oh, okay. Thank you.)

WORDS OF COMFORT $600: This word for an extravagance comes before "tax" on the Monopoly board
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

"POT"POURRI $800: A dictator
(Nicole: What is [*]?)
(Alex: No.)
(Nicole: [*] dictator?)
(Alex: No.)

(At the next Daily Double:
Alex: Our judges are in the Christmas spirit, and they have decided to accept your response a few moments ago of [*] for dictator. So you pick up $1,600.)

STICKER SHOCK $1600: A car's sticker price, which is what the dealer wants you to pay, is aka this term with a 4-letter abbreviation
(Graham: What is [*]?)
(Alex: All right. We would have preferred the abbreviation--[*], but go again.)

LITERARY CHARACTERS BASED ON REAL PEOPLE $2000: Don Armado in "Love's Labour's Lost" may have been based on this soldier poet of Shakespeare's time

CORRECT RESPONSES
Kevin Bacon
asbestos
zircon
(Carlo) Ponzi
12 Angry Men
Duke
potato
Marie Rogêt
the Northern Lights
Under Milk Wood
(Sir George) Downing
Lexington and Concord
George III
the Battle of Bunker Hill
von Steuben
Yorktown
breast cancer
snug as a bug in a rug (a snug bug rug accepted)
luxury
despot (tin-pot accepted)
manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP)
Sir Walter Raleigh
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last name of this 17th century baronet who held many offices is synonymous with the government & especially the prime minister’s residence

Graham Fulton III: 9000+9000=18000 ($1000)
Nicole Neroulias Gupte: 10200+7800=18000 ($2000)
Charbel Barakat: 28200+2500=30700 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Sir George) Downing

Daily Doubles
Charbel: 5600+3000
Charbel: 10600+10600
Charbel: 25600+600

Coryats
Graham: 9000
Nicole: 10200
Charbel: 17000

Combined: 36,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Graham: 5400
Nicole: 4200
Charbel: 8600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The clue with the reversal was “POT”POURRI $800: A dictator

Nicole was negged for tinpot when Alex wanted despot. The judges reversed their decision.

For the tie for second place Nicole gets $2000 and Graham gets $1000 since she led going into the FJ! round.

The FJ! category had me thinking that if the clue was about my old buddy Coleridge I better get it. Instead I did a Mark special with getting it right though with a detour. I wrote Downey and looked at it sensing that did not seem right.

I had to go back in the sports time machine to remember a mental match I made years ago for the pitcher that gave up Hank Aaron’s 715 home run and the street name. Downey was a wrong name error I’ve made in the past in thinking about Downy soap.

Note: ABC is showing a lot of NBA tomorrow so check your listings for J! airings not at the usual time. Fox, NBC and CBS look okay without special sports programming.

Note #2: KGO is showing the Raiders/Broncos game locally tonight so no J! (plus that other game show) at all. They are scheduled to show both Monday and Tuesday episodes after the Warriors game tomorrow night.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I very nearly said "Love, Indubitably," but caught myself in time.

Damn, nice DJ wager. $1200 clue so very much gettable, and plenty of time if you don't given opponents' scores.

"Crackpot" always sounds like it could be drug paraphernalia...

Never knew that there was a stage adaptation of "Pretty Woman." It was obvious what it was, but still...

Coryat: $38,800

J: 24R0W. Got DD. 5/5 on Not For Profit, Christmas Eve, and My Name. 3/4 on American Revolution and Anagrammed Minerals, 2/3 on Words of Comfort.

DJ: 22R1W. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Asian Geographies and "Pot"pourri after the correction (like Nicole, I said "tinpot"). 3/4 on Literary Characters, 2/3 on Sticker Shocks. 3/5 on For Profit ("Human curiosities" drove me to Robert Ripley rather than P.T. Barnum).

FJ: I said Whitehall. Ugh.

LT: Asbestos, Zircon, potato, aurora borealis,
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Disappointed that I couldn't remember Downing.

Congrats to Charbel on his big win, and good for Graham and Nicole for going for the higher value clues over the smaller ones near the end in an attempt to catch up.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

Surprised they didn't accept tin-pot at first. The judges should know that phrase.

Alex's comment on MSRP was also surprising. I thought the clue was clear they were looking for the PHRASE, which also has a 4 letter abbr. So when MSRP was spelled out, Alex said they were looking for the abbr. Anyone else think they wanted the full phrase?

And the last clue, Avery stickers, was vaguely worded. They wanted "labels", but it seemed to me other words would have worked (eg, adhesives).
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 am Note: ABC is showing a lot of NBA tomorrow so check your listings for J! airings not at the usual time. Fox, NBC and CBS look okay without special sports programming.
Yup, no J! for me on WABC. I wish they'd remember that they have multiple subchannels but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully I'll be able to get it from the reddit guy.
astrohip wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:16 pm Alex's comment on MSRP was also surprising. I thought the clue was clear they were looking for the PHRASE, which also has a 4 letter abbr. So when MSRP was spelled out, Alex said they were looking for the abbr. Anyone else think they wanted the full phrase?
"A car's sticker price, which is what the dealer wants you to pay, is AKA this term, with a 4-letter abbreviation."

Not "also known by this 4-letter abbrev.", this TERM with a 4-letter abbrev. What else did you expect them to say!? Phrased like that, if Alex had accepted MSRP w/o a BMS then either Alex or the writers were hitting the booze early. Not that their BMSes always consistent or logical.

Instaget FJ.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I hadn't watched the show in awhile but I tuned in tonight and found this to be a very easy board overall, though there were a few toughies there at the end (Roget, Fairey, Raleigh, Under Milkwood). I was 14/15 at the first commercial break and maybe could have had Von Steuben with a few more seconds to think.

Instant get FJ.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

astrohip wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:16 pm Surprised they didn't accept tin-pot at first. The judges should know that phrase.
And they should know that while it may be an adjective for a dictator, it is not a word for a dictator. And no way should "snug bug rug" ever be approved. The judges are really slipping IMO.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:32 pm
astrohip wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:16 pm Surprised they didn't accept tin-pot at first. The judges should know that phrase.
And they should know that while it may be an adjective for a dictator, it is not a word for a dictator. And no way should "snug bug rug" ever be approved. The judges are really slipping IMO.
"This triple rhyme phrase could describe a content flea in a type of floor covering"
Why shouldn't 'snug rug bug' be accepted? (Also, you flipped the 2nd and 3rd words.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

For the "POT"POURRI clue ("a dictator") in which the judges wanted "despot" and accepted "tinpot," my husband blurted out "Pol Pot."
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I also said "Pol Pot" for dictator (though I only saw the clue on this board, so I wasn't into the flow). I personally am not accepting "tinpot", which is simply a modifier.

I liked Charbel's FJ bet. If he'd bet to reach a round figure with a get, people might have said "ha, didn't expect to miss, did you?", while if he'd bet to be at a round figure after a miss, he might have been accused of lacking self-confidence.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

If Charbel had bet recklessly on the last daily double and final jeopardy then he could have set a new 1-day record.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 am Note: ABC is showing a lot of NBA tomorrow so check your listings for J! airings not at the usual time. Fox, NBC and CBS look okay without special sports programming.
I would like to wish the Reddit guy a very merry Xmas.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Lefty wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:16 am
I liked Charbel's FJ bet. If he'd bet to reach a round figure with a get, people might have said "ha, didn't expect to miss, did you?", while if he'd bet to be at a round figure after a miss, he might have been accused of lacking self-confidence.
These are odd things to imagine anyone caring about.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 am The clue with the reversal was “POT”POURRI $800: A dictator

Nicole was negged for tinpot when Alex wanted despot. The judges reversed their decision.

For the tie for second place Nicole gets $2000 and Graham gets $1000 since she led going into the FJ! round.

The FJ! category had me thinking that if the clue was about my old buddy Coleridge I better get it. Instead I did a Mark special with getting it right though with a detour. I wrote Downey and looked at it sensing that did not seem right.

I had to go back in the sports time machine to remember a mental match I made years ago for the pitcher that gave up Hank Aaron’s 715 home run and the street name. Downey was a wrong name error I’ve made in the past in thinking about Downy soap.

Note: ABC is showing a lot of NBA tomorrow so check your listings for J! airings not at the usual time. Fox, NBC and CBS look okay without special sports programming.

Note #2: KGO is showing the Raiders/Broncos game locally tonight so no J! (plus that other game show) at all. They are scheduled to show both Monday and Tuesday episodes after the Warriors game tomorrow night.
wonder if pol pot would have been accepted
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

pinkfreud wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:40 pm For the "POT"POURRI clue ("a dictator") in which the judges wanted "despot" and accepted "tinpot," my husband blurted out "Pol Pot."
is what i went with
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wasn't expecting Charbel to pull a Roger Craig.

"Love Actually" was a NHOI and cost me the run in the otherwise easy Christmas category.

American Revolution? Yawn. War stuff completely fails to engage me.

Judy Chicago? NHOI either. Couldn't grasp that category either because the NHOIs in each clue made me clam. There's only one Ward Howe I know of, but what if that's a red herring? Better clam.

Coal is a hydrocarbon?

Can't say I've heard of "Crackpot" before. And if I've heard of "Pretty Woman", then the title was too generic to stick.

"Book of Mormon" and fish were my only get in DJ! I found the board very tough.

No guess on FJ! I've heard of Downing street, but it didn't sound like a name to me.

Lach Trash: asbestos, zircon
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

50 R (Only missing Duke, Pot-Boiled, MSRP, and Stickers $2000(Negged with LeRoy Nieman))
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Asbestos, Zircon, Potato, *Despot*, Marie Roget, Northern Lights, Under Milkwood
Douglas Squasoni