Monday, December 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Monday, December 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

pinkfreud wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:40 pm For the "POT"POURRI clue ("a dictator") in which the judges wanted "despot" and accepted "tinpot," my husband blurted out "Pol Pot."
Lefty wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:16 am I also said "Pol Pot" for dictator (though I only saw the clue on this board, so I wasn't into the flow). I personally am not accepting "tinpot", which is simply a modifier.
Despot was the word I pre-called in the "POT" category. :lol:
Douglas Squasoni
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:52 am
Lefty wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:16 am
I liked Charbel's FJ bet. If he'd bet to reach a round figure with a get, people might have said "ha, didn't expect to miss, did you?", while if he'd bet to be at a round figure after a miss, he might have been accused of lacking self-confidence.
These are odd things to imagine anyone caring about.
I'm always interested in the inner game.
I'm smart and I want respect.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:11 pm Wasn't expecting Charbel to pull a Roger Craig.

"Love Actually" was a NHOI and cost me the run in the otherwise easy Christmas category.

my 2nd favourite christmas movie....1st being silent night, deadly night....though only got it right because of knightly being in the clue...had no idea what that dude's name was even after having seen the movie about 50-60 times
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:11 pm
American Revolution? Yawn. War stuff completely fails to engage me.
war trivia is pretty crap imo as well...ranks up there with political bs as leading to a snoozefest
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Judy Chicago: Left-wing feminist artist from Chicago, hence her now-legal name.

Would have written the clue as Garland, Jetson, Tenuta; but that's just my skewed sense of humor coming to the fore.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

HUBRIS FOR THE WIN!!!!

Way to go, Charbel!
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:01 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:11 pm Wasn't expecting Charbel to pull a Roger Craig.

"Love Actually" was a NHOI and cost me the run in the otherwise easy Christmas category.

my 2nd favourite christmas movie....1st being silent night, deadly night....though only got it right because of knightly being in the clue...had no idea what that dude's name was even after having seen the movie about 50-60 times
Mildly ironic the guy with the Cannibal Corpse avatar doesn't know "that dude's name."
I would prefer not to.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Bartleby wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:52 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Mildly ironic the guy with the Cannibal Corpse avatar doesn't know "that dude's name."
i see he plays someone in the walking dead...have never seen that show before...i prefer my horror on the r rated+ side...i don't do bubble gum horror that is on tv
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

No one has yet mentioned my choice for the dictator: potentate. I'm taking credit for that one.

I'm also up for giving the full phrase for MSRP. I had to rewind my VCR to take a second look at the clue after Alex's comment. I don't see how MSRP alone was the answer for the clue. I read it as asking for the complete phrase.

Never new the street name for the British Prime Minister's residence was named after an actual person. But that had to be the answer, and fortunately first names are not generally needed.
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:16 am No one has yet mentioned my choice for the dictator: potentate. I'm taking credit for that one.
My dad suggested it after the clue had been played. I agree that it deserves to be treated as a correct response.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:55 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:16 am No one has yet mentioned my choice for the dictator: potentate. I'm taking credit for that one.
My dad suggested it after the clue had been played. I agree that it deserves to be treated as a correct response.
This setup has waited too long....

The current occupant of the office certainly thinks that POTUS fits the clue :roll: . Whereas the closest he comes is the "tinpot" aspect :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
JErickson2021
Contributor

Post by JErickson2021 »

I marathoned this week of jeopardy, and even at the end, I'm still in shock from the daily double.