FJs for the 12/17/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 12/17/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:49 pm

After turning himself into a mare, he gave birth to an 8-legged horse that was later the prized steed of Odin
73%
The 1st segment of this was dedicated on July 4, 1930; the next, August 30, 1936; section 3, on September 17, 1937 & the last, on July 2, 1939
55%
5 Cwmdonkin Drive was the address of the family home where he was born in 1914
69%
Composed in 1791, the year he died, & last in the Kochel catalog of  all his works, K. 626 is this work
42%
Named the first U.S. national monument in 1906, it was featured prominently in a blockbuster movie 71 years later
73%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
15%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITIES $1600 box Daily Double: You'll find NATO's world headquarters on Boulevard Leopold III in this capital city
77%
THE FAB FOUR $1000: The lads honed their craft early on in this German city, sometimes playing 30 sets a week
58%
INTO THE SPIDER VERSE $1600: John Hollander titled a poem after this rival of Athena who got changed into a spider
51%
I was not familiar with the Norse myth for the Monday FJ! clue, but I figured out to guess Loki anyway.
51%
I could have named Odin's horse, Sleipnir, if needed for the Monday FJ! clue.
20%
I have seen the movie, Amadeus.
46%
I have seen the movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
62%
CLOTHES MAKE THE IDIOM $1000: To understand another, try "walking a mile" in these soft leather shoes -  Moccasins? Not familiar to me.
34%
CLOTHES MAKE THE IDIOM $1000: To understand another, try "walking a mile" in these soft leather shoes - I was correct with moccasins.
45%

Total votes: 110

Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 12/17/18 week

Post by Wpwells »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Was familiar with the myth but couldn't have gotten to the horse's name.
Seen Amadeus
Seen Close Encounters
Knew moccasins
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

sarisson wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:52 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(
Thursday snapped my longest FJ streak ever (10).
"What are moccasins?" sounds like "water moccasins," which I definitely would NOT want to walk around with! :lol:
I agree - wet shoes are terrible, especially if you have socks on.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Last week I checked the box for not having heard the moccasin variety of the phrase. Tonight I started watching a TV show and the opening narration used the phrase.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

Spent 28 of the 30 seconds trying to remember the name of that sculpture in the Black Hills. I'm claiming credit to avoid the 0'fer, although not sure I had enough time to write it all out. I knew that the Fab 4 spent time in Germany playing lots of gigs, but couldn't name the city.

Saw both Amadeus and Close Encounters. I could see the frenetic writing scenes near the end of Amadeus playing in my head. Didn't help to name that tune, though. Close Encounters never occurred to me, and even with the hint here, I still don't remember the connection. That movie never made much of an impression on me. Besides, I got stuck on Star Wars, which was also released in 1977.

Almost forgot - never heard the phrase with moccasins, always shoes. Guessed sandals to say something that wasn't shoes.
--Peter