Wednesday, December 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7893, 2018-12-26

CONTESTANTS
DeAnn Hale, a stay-at-home mom from Eagle Mountain, Utah
Jon Barber, an investment professional from San Francisco, California
Richard Koehler, a data scientist from Wilmington, Delaware (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. To all our fans in Canada, happy Boxing Day. We don't have that here in the United States. We just refer to the day after Christmas as Recovery Day.
[ laughter ]
Alex: Jon and DeAnn, good to have you with us. Richard, good to see you again. Let's go to work in the first round, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TV BY THE NUMBERS (4/5)
HETERONYMS (5/5) (Alex: Those are words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently, and we want both pronunciations in each correct response.)
FAMILY TIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GLASSES (5/5)
STATE STUFF (5/5)
DEATH ON THE NILE (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Richard: 12 R (including 3 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jon: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
DeAnn: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Richard: $5,000
Jon: $1,600
DeAnn: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: DeAnn Hale is a stay-at-home mom from Utah whose oldest son's name was based on the outcome of a football game?

DeAnn: It was. So the day that he was born, we were still undecided on his name, and we were watching the BYU-Utah State football game that evening. Utah State is based in Logan, Utah, and they weren't supposed to win, and I said, "Well, how about if they win, we'll name him Logan?" And they were up by 30 at the half, and so we said, "Okay, Logan," and then turned off the TV and went to sleep, and the next day we found out that they actually lost, but... we kept Logan.

[ laughter ]

DeAnn: Well, the name...and the baby.

[ laughter ]

Alex: [ chuckles ]

[ laughter continues ]

Alex: Jon Barber is an investment professional whose grandfather, I guess, was also an investment professional, and who refused to continue a meeting with Steve Jobs why?

Jon: Well, he's actually an engineer.

Alex:Oh.

Jon: He was working on early computers in the 1970s and was supposed to be in a meeting with Steve Jobs, but Steve Jobs was wearing jeans, so my grandfather said, "I will not continue this meeting. I will not meet with this guy in jeans," but, uh, missed out on a big opportunity.

Alex: Really? Okay.

[ laughter ]

Alex: Richard Koehler is a data scientist from Wilmington, Delaware, and you've been attending special anniversaries of a fictional event?

Richard: We went to the 100th anniversary of Bloomsday. "Bloomsday" is a book in "Ulysses" by James Joyce. It's the day in there in 1904, but that didn't happen. It's fictional.

Alex: Right.

Richard: But we went to Dublin for the 100th anniversary in 2004. We had our Irish breakfast. We had some Guinness. It was a good excuse. I haven't read the book yet, but...there was Guinness, Alex.

[ laughter ]

Alex: What a great way to enjoy life.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Richard found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Richard had $7,200, Jon had $2,800, and DeAnn was at $2,000. Richard wagered $3,000.

FAMILY TIES $1000: Ivan's repudiation of God looms large in this Dostoyevsky work
(Richard: What is Crime and Punishment?)
(Alex: No. What is [*]?)
(Richard: [whispering] Oh, yeah.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV BY THE NUMBERS $600: The reboot of this sitcom features a Cuban-American family & Gloria Estefan giving a Latin flair to its theme "This is It"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Richard: $4,600
Jon: $2,800
DeAnn: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS (4/5)
AMERICAN HISTORY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"W"RITERS (5/5)
THEY MAKE THAT (5/5) (Alex: You identify the "they".)
SOME FILLER (4/5)
AROUND THE WORLD AT THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Kelly: We're taking a trip around the world with treasures from the vast collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jon: 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
DeAnn: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Richard: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jon snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Richard had $5,800, Jon had $11,600, and DeAnn was at $9,400. Jon wagered $4,000.

AROUND THE WORLD AT THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.) Italian artist Antonio Canova created a model of neoclassical beauty with this sculpture of this Greek hero, sword in one hand, and in the other, Medusa's just-severed head

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jon who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Richard had $5,800, Jon had $15,600, and DeAnn was at $9,400. Jon wagered $1,000.

AMERICAN HISTORY $1200: In 1925 John T. Scopes was put on trial, convicted & fined for teaching evolution in this Southern state
(Jon: What is...Georgia?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS $1600: This director of 1978's "Halloween" adapted the film's iconic theme song for the 2018 sequel with son Cody
(Alex: And the director was [*].)

AMERICAN HISTORY $2000: In 1933 this new head of the Department of Labor became the first female cabinet member

SOME FILLER $2000: Per Shakespeare, "what's past is ___"
(Richard: What is past?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jon: $18,200 (lock game)
Richard: $8,200
DeAnn: $8,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORICAL GEOGRAPHY
(Alex: There's a duality in our Final Jeopardy! category today--)

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; prisoner's dilemma for second place.
Jon: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Richard: Bet $0 or $8,200.
DeAnn: Likewise, wager $0 or $8,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Most of the land fighting in the first Punic war between Rome & Carthage was on this island

FINAL SCORES
DeAnn: $8,200 - $8,198 = $2 (What is Crete?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Richard: $8,200 + $8,200 = $16,400 (What is Sicily?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jon: $18,200 + $1,799 = $19,999 (What is Sicily) (New champion: $19,999)
(Alex: Draw a straight line between Rome and Carthage, and you'll just come over this island.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jon: $16,800, 25 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 1 DD)
Richard: $11,200, 17 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
DeAnn: $8,200, 11 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $36,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jon: 26/60 = .433
Richard: 18/59 = .305
DeAnn: 11/58 = .190
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HETERONYMS $1000: To coalesce & a grain-harvesting machine
(Jon: Um, what is...reaper and repair?)
(Alex: No.)
(Richard: What is [*]?)
(Alex: That's it, yes. Jon was on such a good roll, and now you and he are tied. Go again.)

STATE STUFF $600: John Kerry summers there, sometimes on Naushon Island
(Jon: What is Maine?)

TV BY THE NUMBERS $800: Imported from Britain, "Man About the House" became this sitcom that starred John Ritter
(Jon: What is 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter?)

STATE STUFF $400: This "Beehive State" keeps busy with the USA's highest birth rate
(Alex: Yes, DeAnn's upset you got in ahead of her.)

FAMILY TIES $200: This patriotic guy seen here traces his origins back to the 1830s

FAMILY TIES $400: In 1893 Nancy green hit the world stage as this "syrupy" character & spokesperson
(DeAnn: What is Miss--Mrs. Butters--what is Mrs. Butterworth?)

DEATH ON THE NILE $800: More than 5,000 French sailors died in the 1798 Battle of the Nile, one of this English admiral's great victories
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

"W"RITERS $1200: This playwright hit a homer with "Fences", which won him a Pulitzer

MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS $1200: This Celtics point guard plays the title character in "Uncle Drew" & performs "Ridiculous" on its soundtrack
(Jon: Who is Paul Pierce?)

MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS $2000: The soundtrack for this 2017 Hugh Jackman movie was in the top 10 for more than 30 weeks
(Alex: You've just taken the lead away from Richard.)

AROUND THE WORLD AT THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.) Likely designed by Hans Holbein the Younger, a suit of armor from 1527 is thought to be this king's; in contrast is the suit of armor he wore when he was overweight and crippled with gout

AMERICAN HISTORY $400: From 1821 until 1848 this country controlled what is today California
(Jon: What is Spain?)

AMERICAN HISTORY $800: In November 1620 this document was signed onboard a ship off Cape Cod
(Jon: What is the [*] Compect-- [*]?

AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: In 1792 congress tried to increase judges' workload, leading to the 1st federal court decision voiding a law on this basis
(Richard: [*]--what is [*]?)

THEY MAKE THAT $2000: Sinatra Select Tennessee whiskey
(DeAnn: What is Jim Beam?)
(Alex: No.)
(Richard: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Tennessee here, not Kentucky.)

SOME FILLER $800: "To err is human, to forgive ___"
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

AROUND THE WORLD AT THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.) Intricate tile mosaics decorate the 14th century Iranian Mihrab, a niche in the wall in the mosque that indicates the direction of this city, which Muslims face when praying

AROUND THE WORLD AT THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.) A building, its setting, and its furnishings were inextricably related for this architect, who designed the prairie-style room and all of its furniture, which is placed exactly as he intended it

AROUND THE WORLD AT THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.) Spiritual forces can be contained or released by nkisi n'kondi, or a power figure carved by these Bantu-speaking people whose name is on an African river and two African republics

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Brothers Karamazov
One Day at a Time
Perseus
Tennessee
John Carpenter
Frances Perkins
prologue
Sicily
combine and combine
Massachusetts
Three's Company
Utah
Uncle Sam
Aunt Jemima
Nelson
(August) Wilson
Kyrie Irving
The Greatest Showman
King Henry VIII
Mexico
Mayflower Compact
they declared it unconstitutional
Jack Daniels
divine
Mecca
Frank Lloyd Wright
the Congolese (people of the Congo)
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORICAL GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Most of the land fighting in the First Punic War between Rome & Carthage was on this island

Richard Koehler: 8200+8200=16400
Jon Barber: 18200+1799=19999 (New Champ)
DeAnn Hale: 8200-8198=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sicily (DeAnn – Crete)

Daily Doubles
Richard: 7200-3000
Jon: 11600+4000
Jon: 15600-1000

Coryats
Richard: 11200
Jon: 16800
DeAnn: 8200

Combined: 36,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Richard: 4600
Jon: 2800
DeAnn: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DeAnn was not heard from until chat time and her score did not change until clue 18 when she knew the TV show for $1000. DeAnn did well to have the lead for a bit of time in the DJ! round before Jon got going including back-to-back DDs.

The FJ! clue had me write the correct place as I did what Alex said in picking an island in between Carthage and Rome.

It seemed like the DJ! round was edited a bit for the round’s completion to air in the proper time frame while accounting for the length of the Met category name and the video clues. In that editing process some of Jon’s correct phrasing was slightly clipped (or he was speaking before being completely called on by Alex) to make it sound like Jon was not using proper phrasing.

The contestants will use proper phrasing in the DJ! round or they will be busted. The powers hear everything. For the home viewers it can sometimes seem like there is a violation when none exists.

The calliope music is playing this week.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Heteronyms.

US Naval Academy = MD was new to me. I skunked that category.

They Make That was tough. I had only $400.

NHO that "miss the water" expression in the top box, especially with "to err is human" and "absolute power..." further down.

No guess on FJ!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

FJ:. Two of my strong categories for the price of one? Yes, please! Instaget.
So glad I left that state with 4 of the last 10 guvs doing jail time.
DeAnn just seemed too timid. Not fast enough on the buzzer & avoiding the high-value clues did her in. Too bad.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Is there a rule that responses must be in English? I instinctively responded "Что Братья Карамазовы?"

We always hear the arguments against Crete, but we never hear the pro-Crete side.

Coryat: $37,800

J: 24R2P3W. 5/5 on Heteronyms, Family Ties, and Glasses (thought "Buddy Holly" for glasses for a second before I remembered that style is made of plastic, and corrected myself in time). 4/5 on State Stuff (said Illinois for Oswego, because I remembered doing shows there from my drum & bugle corps days). 3/4 on Death on the Nile. 2/5 on TV (clever clever trick with the John Ritter clue, and I fell for it too).

DJ: 23R6P1W. 5/5 on American History, Some Filler, and Metropolitan Museum. 3/5 on Writers and They Make That (including my one neg--said "BASF" instead of Ikea). 2/5 on Movie Soundtracks.

FJ: Instaget. Once again, thanks, Dr. Dixon!

LT: Frances Perkins, prologue
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:08 pm We always hear the arguments against Crete, but we never hear the pro-Crete side.
Uh-oh...the penguin's got some competition! :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
clprez

Post by clprez »

I got FJ from watching the movie Patton.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I saw "Aquaman" earlier this evening. One of its scenes takes place on Sicily.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

This was another FJ which I didn't get, but feel like I should have. Ask me to name an Italian island on another day and I would have probably got it.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

This is a FJ clue I really did not know-know. I was aware Carthage was on northern Africa, but where? Drawing an imaginary line from Rome to several locations on N. Africa, I 50-50'd Sicily and Malta and guessed right.

Only LT tonight was ("What's past is...) prologue."

Yeah, the one-and-dones seem to be taking over the game for now.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

clprez wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:54 pm I got FJ from watching the movie Patton.
You weren't alone.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

JayK33 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:48 am This was another FJ which I didn't get, but feel like I should have. Ask me to name an Italian island on another day and I would have probably got it.
I have clue zero what or where Carthage is or was, so I was hopeless here.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:50 am
JayK33 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:48 am This was another FJ which I didn't get, but feel like I should have. Ask me to name an Italian island on another day and I would have probably got it.
Did not have to matter for Carthage as you could have done Rome to Italy and picked the right island. Not that anyone would really expect you to get it in this particular case.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Fj wanted an island in between Italy and Africa so I went with Malta.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:20 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:50 am
Did not have to matter for Carthage as you could have done Rome to Italy and picked the right island. Not that anyone would really expect you to get it in this particular case.
Because Sicily is the only Italian island and my brain never seems to have this hangup of thinking that San Marino is an island....
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

47 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (The Brothers Karamazov), John Carpenter, (Tennessee), Frances Perkins
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

harrumph wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:43 pm Fj wanted an island in between Italy and Africa so I went with Malta.
Yup -- Sicily seemed like too-tempting negbait, so I also went with Malta. Hate it when I outthink myself.

Wikipedia cites a book by Carmel Cassar stating, "In 255 BC, the Romans raided Malta during the First Punic War, devastating much of the island." But that doesn't qualify for "most of the land fighting."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Malta
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
billiej

Post by billiej »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:27 pm
harrumph wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:43 pm Fj wanted an island in between Italy and Africa so I went with Malta.
Yup -- Sicily seemed like too-tempting negbait, so I also went with Malta. Hate it when I outthink myself.
Put me down as another one that eliminated the obvious choice for being obvious. :P