2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by cheezguyty »

Blue Lion wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:35 pm Jackson has also had a #1 album in four different decades; the latest was Unbreakable (2015). Only she, Bruce Springsteen, and Barbra Streisand have done that.
The Beatles, Elvis Presley, and U2 have also had #1 albums in four different decades.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:31 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:35 pm Jackson has also had a #1 album in four different decades; the latest was Unbreakable (2015). Only she, Bruce Springsteen, and Barbra Streisand have done that.
The Beatles, Elvis Presley, and U2 have also had #1 albums in four different decades.
And U2 is the only one to do it in 4 straight.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Penny Marshall has died. According to Variety, Marshall was the first woman to direct a film that grossed more than $100 million ("Big"), the first woman to direct two films that made more than $100 million ("Big" and "A League of Their Own"), and she was only the second woman director to see her film Oscar-nominated for best picture ("Awakenings").
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Of course, Penny Marshall was best known for playing Laverne to Cindy Williams's Shirley on the ABC sitcom "Laverne & Shirley." The show, which aired from 1976 to 1983, was a spin-off from "Happy Days." "Laverne & Shirley" was the #1 show on TV for two seasons during its run.

The chant of “Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!” that preceded the "Laverne & Shirley" theme song, “Making Our Dreams Come True,” in the series’ opening montage was drawn from a song Marshall and her friends used to sing on the way to school.

Marshall's brother, Garry, created "Happy Days" and "Laverne & Shirley" and directed such films as "Pretty Woman," Beaches," and "The Princess Diaries." He was also a recognizable character actor who played the team owner in "A League of Their Own," in which his character was based on chewing gum heir and baseball executive Philip K. Wrigley.

From 1971 to 1979, Penny Marshall was married to actor/writer/director Rob Reiner, son of Carl and director of such films as "The Princess Bride," "When Harry Met Sally," "Stand by Me," "This Is Spinal Tap," and "A Few Good Men."

Marshall's autobiography, “My Mother Was Nuts,” was published in 2012.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Blue Lion wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:35 pm 2019 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Janet Jackson, the Cure, Def Leppard, Stevie Nicks, Radiohead, Roxy Music, and the Zombies.

Nicks becomes the first woman to be inducted a second time, her first was as a member of Fleetwood Mac in 1998.
I don't know which is more "wtf"-worthy, this or Harold Baines being elected to the baseball hall. I get the Fleetwood mac induction, but as a solo artist????
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:46 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:35 pm 2019 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Janet Jackson, the Cure, Def Leppard, Stevie Nicks, Radiohead, Roxy Music, and the Zombies.

Nicks becomes the first woman to be inducted a second time, her first was as a member of Fleetwood Mac in 1998.
I don't know which is more "wtf"-worthy, this or Harold Baines being elected to the baseball hall. I get the Fleetwood mac induction, but as a solo artist????
you might want to google her impressive music catalog
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:28 pm
Woppy T wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:46 pm

you might want to google her impressive music catalog
I did what you suggested.

Eight studio albums, one of which reached number one in the U.S.

Zero number one singles. 4 top 10 singles. I listen to a lot of classic rock on the radio, and only a couple if her songs get regular airplay.

30 million records sold worldwide. Definitely a great talent and a great career, but not HOF worthy. Just my opinion.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:06 pm Of course, Penny Marshall was best known for playing Laverne to Cindy Williams's Shirley on the ABC sitcom "Laverne & Shirley." The show, which aired from 1976 to 1983, was a spin-off from "Happy Days." "Laverne & Shirley" was the #1 show on TV for two seasons during its run.

The chant of “Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!” that preceded the "Laverne & Shirley" theme song, “Making Our Dreams Come True,” in the series’ opening montage was drawn from a song Marshall and her friends used to sing on the way to school.

Marshall's brother, Garry, created "Happy Days" and "Laverne & Shirley" and directed such films as "Pretty Woman," Beaches," and "The Princess Diaries." He was also a recognizable character actor who played the team owner in "A League of Their Own," in which his character was based on chewing gum heir and baseball executive Philip K. Wrigley.

From 1971 to 1979, Penny Marshall was married to actor/writer/director Rob Reiner, son of Carl and director of such films as "The Princess Bride," "When Harry Met Sally," "Stand by Me," "This Is Spinal Tap," and "A Few Good Men."

Marshall's autobiography, “My Mother Was Nuts,” was published in 2012.
I'm going to pre-call it: There will be a Penny Marshall question on the next online test, and an entire Penny Marshall category on Jeopardy sometime in 2019.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Blue Lion wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:56 pm I'm going to pre-call it: There will be a Penny Marshall question on the next online test, and an entire Penny Marshall category on Jeopardy sometime in 2019.
There was SUPPOSED to be a Penny Marshall clue on the day she died, give or take a day. The writers are slipping.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:28 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:56 pm I'm going to pre-call it: There will be a Penny Marshall question on the next online test, and an entire Penny Marshall category on Jeopardy sometime in 2019.
There was SUPPOSED to be a Penny Marshall clue on the day she died, give or take a day. The writers are slipping.
Their DeLorean is in the shop
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Miley Cyrus and Liam "Hunger Games" Hemsworth are married.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/26/entertai ... index.html
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

Sister Wendy Beckett, the Carmelite nun and the tv 'personality' who introduced me to art history, has died at 88.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... es-aged-88
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/26/obit ... -dead.html
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Troydozzy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:17 am Sister Wendy Beckett, the Carmelite nun and the tv 'personality' who introduced me to art history, has died at 88.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... es-aged-88
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/26/obit ... -dead.html
She was a Jeopardy favorite back in the day. Definitely a name worth remembering, if you're currently in the pool.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Stopping by the library today, I noticed a recent copy of ESPN mag listing the twenty most dominant athletes in the world today. Not all of them American, but I guess that their standard requires that a sport at least be taken seriously by a good number of Americans.

Anyway, in order to build suspense, I list ESPN's most dominant in ascending order and spoilered (simply to force you to know them. For the record, I failed to identify at least two of these in recent LL seasons). There were perhaps a couple whose dominance I had trouble seeing, but the magazine does state that they used some sort of statistical method, employing standard deviations and such like.

20. Baseballer with Anaheim, twice AL MVP, thrice runner-up
Spoiler
Mike Trout
19. Basketballer with Houston, 2017-18 NBA MVP
Spoiler
James Harden
18. First-year starting QB with KC Chiefs, threw 6 TD passes a day before his 23rd birthday
Spoiler
Patrick Mahomes (II)

17. Plays Hockey for Washington Capitals, 7-time NHL goal-scoring champ
Spoiler
Alex Ovechkin
16. 2018 Thoroughbred Triple Crown winner, retired at 3, unbeaten lifetime
Spoiler
Justify
15. New Orleans Saints quarterback, all-time NFL passing yardage leader
Spoiler
Drew Brees
14. Baseballer with Boston, 2018 AL MVP and batting champ
Spoiler
Mookie Betts
13. Basketballer with Cleveland--> Miami--> Cleveland--> LA Lakers, 4-time NBA MVP
Spoiler
Lebron James
12. Five-time Formula One champ from UK, races for Mercedes-AMG Petronas
Spoiler
Lewis Hamilton
11. Figure skater from Japan, twice men's Olympic champ, twice world champ
Spoiler
Yuzuru Hanyu
10. Serbian tennis player with 14 Grand Slam titles, first since Rod Laver to hold all four titles at once
Spoiler
Novak Djokovic
9. 2018 Ladies' French Open Champ from Romania, twice the most clicked-on player at WTAtennis.com
Spoiler
Simona Halep
8. Soccerer, Real Madrid midfielder and Team Croatia captain, 2018 FIFA player of the year
Spoiler
Luka Modric
7. Basketballer with Seattle Storm, 2018 WNBA MVP, thrice College Player of the Year, won four NCAA championships with UConn
Spoiler
Breanna Stewart
6. Snowboard halfpipe gold medalist 2018, first woman to execute frontside double cork 1080 (note:360 x 3) in halfpipe, incoming freshman at Princeton
Spoiler
Chloe Kim
5. Winner of four Olympic golds in 2016, holder of women's world records at 400, 800, and 1500 meter freestyle, 14 total world championship golds
Spoiler
Katie Ledecky
4. Thai golfer, won 2018 US Women's Open and 2016 British Open
Spoiler
Ariya Jutanugarn
3. mixed martial artist, Ultimate Fighting Champ in heavyweight and light heavyweight divisions
Spoiler
Daniel Cormier
2. Kenyan marathoner, set world record of 2:01:39 at 2018 Berlin Marathon
Spoiler
Eliud Kipchoge
1. Winner of four Olympic golds and 14 world championship golds in Women's artistic gymnastics (Fixed now. Sorry,
Spoiler
Simone
)
Spoiler
Simone Biles
Last edited by Lefty on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm smart and I want respect.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

(#1's first name ends in an E and not an A; it's different than #9's first name.)

I can honestly say I have never heard of #3.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

How is Mikaela Shriffin not on that list?

And Patrick Mahomes? Great season, but dude hasn't even won a playoff game yet.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Lefty wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:46 am 1. Winner of four Olympic golds and 14 world championship golds in Women's artistic gymnastics
Spoiler
Simona Biles
You mean Simone?
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Troydozzy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:17 am Sister Wendy Beckett, the Carmelite nun and the tv 'personality' who introduced me to art history, has died at 88.
Sister Wendy taught me to appreciate art and art history, and I am indebted to her. I just this week gave her DVD set to my daughter who asked for a "noetic" gift for Christmas.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:53 am How is Mikaela Shriffin not on that list?

And Patrick Mahomes? Great season, but dude hasn't even won a playoff game yet.
Amazing that Shiffrin was left off this list. She was dominant before the magazine went to press, and just won her 15th World Cup ski race in a calendar year, a record. For career World Cup wins, the record is 86, by Ingemar Stenmark. Shiffrin now has 51.....at the age of 23.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

“Captain” Daryl Dragon (Captain and Tennille), “Mean” Gene Okerlund (Voice of Professional Wrestling in the 80s), and “Super Dave” Bob Einstein have all recently died.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/d ... -1.4963971
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/mean-gene-oke ... -1.4963768
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/b ... -1.4963619