Monday, December 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7896, 2018-12-31

CONTESTANTS
Jan Corsetty, a database administrator from North Potomac, Maryland
Kevin Patterson, a management consultant from Cambridge, Massachusetts
James Rodrigues, a filmmaker from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, everyone. Time to get ready to party, but before we do, we have some business here with Jan, Kevin, and James. Good luck. Let's go to work.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RECENT BALLOT MEASURES (4/5)
GEN MED (5/5)
PLAYING IN THE BAND (5/5)
THE COUNTRY IN QUESTION (5/5)
A FISTFUL OF HEROES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ENDS IN "ITE" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 14 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jan: 6 R, 1 W
Kevin: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. James had $1,200, Kevin was scoreless, and Jan had nothing in the bank. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

A FISTFUL OF HEROES $1000: The name of this army guy was born when his author showed proficiency at getting things from high shelves
(James: Who is... Stretch Armstrong?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $3,400
Kevin: $600
Jan: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jan Corsetty is from Maryland. This lady is a scuba diver who tries to arrange at least one scuba diving trip a year.

Jan: Yes.

Alex: Best scuba diving in the world--where?

Jan: So far, where I've been, the Bahamas.

Alex: The Bahamas. Where in the Bahamas?

Jan: Off of Long Island and Exuma Cay.

Alex: All right. One of the good things--

Jan: Done some shark diving there.

Alex: Well, one of the good things about diving in the Bahamas is the water is warmer.

Jan: Yes, it is.

Alex: And that makes it a more pleasant experience.

Jan: Mm-hm.

Alex: Been there, done that.

Alex: Kevin Patterson is from Cambridge, Massachusetts, and I'm a fan of drama, as you are.

Kevin: Mm-hm.

Alex: But I would not think of standing in line for a long period of time to see a play. You did that for Hamlet. How long?

Kevin: I did. I stood in line from the previous night into the next morning in an alleyway in London when it was pouring rain.

Alex: Did you get in? Did you get tickets?

Kevin: I did, and I got to see Benedict Cumberbatch play Hamlet.

Alex: Oh, that would be exciting. Yes.

Alex: James Rodrigues is a filmmaker from New York and also a performer, I understand, because you were in a Japanese commercial, weren't you?

James: Yeah, actually, it was kind of by accident. I was doing a 24-hour improv show on my college campus, which is boring enough. But then about 6 in the morning, a group of people came up, and they said, "Does anybody here speak Japanese?" And I had taken some in school, so I volunteered myself. And it turns out they were filming a mouthwash commercial with a bronze medalist ice skater from Japan, and I ended up being in it.

Alex: Good for you.

James: Thank you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A FISTFUL OF HEROES $200: Of course this hero returns from the dead in "Justice League"; he even has a race with the Flash at the end

A FISTFUL OF HEROES $600: This title Wagnerian operatic hero is known as the knight of the swan

ENDS IN "ITE" $1000: Ruth, of the Old Testament, is this type of woman, after the land from which she came
(Kevin: What is Israelite?)

RECENT BALLOT MEASURES $1000: In 2018 6 states adopted this victims' rights law named for the late Ms. Nicholas

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $6,400
Jan: $3,400
Kevin: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CLOSE THE CASE (4/5)
NEW TO THE OED (4/5)
SYMBOLS (4/5)
AMERICAN AUTHORS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GOING TO SEE AMMAN (2/4)
ABOUT A HORSE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kevin: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jan: 5 R, 0 W
James: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kevin snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. James had $8,000, Kevin had $4,800, and Jan was at $7,000. Kevin wagered $3,000.

AMERICAN AUTHORS $2000: He wrote 1899's "Father Goose"; he came up with a "Wonderful" adventure the following year
(Kevin: Who is Sinclair?)
(Alex: No. Who is [*]? The Wizard of Oz.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kevin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. James had $9,600, Kevin had $7,400, and Jan was at $8,600. Kevin wagered $2,600.

ABOUT A HORSE $1600: Leah Hofmann was one of the many actor/puppeteers who brought Joey to life in this Broadway production

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GOING TO SEE AMMAN $1600: I'll visit a bird garden to see the national bird, a rosefinch named for its habitat on this Biblical peak

NEW TO THE OED $1200: It's a 4-letter abbreviation for the "dismal science"
(James: What is STEM?)

SYMBOLS $800: In intellectual property law, the R in the "circle R" symbol stands for this

CLOSE THE CASE $2000: 2015, upholding marriage equality:
Obergefell v. this man

GOING TO SEE AMMAN $2000: I'll enjoy a leisurely walk & take in the sights at the 12-acre plaza named for this house of the royal family
(Alex: Jordan is the [*] kingdom. The [*] family.)

ABOUT A HORSE $2000: In a 1939 movie, reincarnation as a horse causes him to say, "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kevin: $12,800
James: $10,000
Jan: $9,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
21st CENTURY OSCARS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Kevin: Wager $7,201 to cover James.
James: You ought to wager to cover Jan, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $10,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $8,800 (to shut out Jan) or less than $4,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Jan). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Kevin.
Jan: Consider risking between $601 and $3,800. This will top a $0 wager by James while still beating Kevin on the Triple Stumper (should Kevin wager to cover James's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before she was 25, she became the youngest performer to receive a second Best Actress nomination

FINAL SCORES
Jan: $9,400 - $9,400 = $0 (Who is Adams?) (3rd place: $1,000)
James: $10,000 - $10,000 = $0 (Who is Ha Portman) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kevin: $12,800 + $7,201 = $20,001 (Who is Jennifer Lawrence) (New champion: $20,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kevin: $14,800, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
James: $11,200, 19 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jan: $9,400, 11 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 19/59 = .322
Kevin: 18/60 = .300
Jan: 11/58 = .190
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A FISTFUL OF HEROES $400: The cowled killer Ezio Auditore da Firenze was a force in this line of video games

THE COUNTRY IN QUESTION $600: This type of goose can cover 1,500 miles in 24 hours riding wind currents
(Jan: What is Canadian?)

THE COUNTRY IN QUESTION $800: Cherry brandy gives the color to the cocktail seen named for this Asian nation

ENDS IN "ITE" $400: Barringer Crater in Arizona was formed by the impact of one of these

AMERICAN AUTHORS $1600: "Arrowsmith" & "Elmer Gantry" are books by this man

SYMBOLS $1200: Churchill called this hand sign "the symbol of the unconquerable will of the occupied territories"
(Kevin: What is the "V" sign--)
(Alex: [Overlapping] "V", that's it.)
(Kevin: --or the victory sign?)

SYMBOLS $2000: The symbol for this asteroid is a stylized sickle, which makes sense, since it was named for the goddess of agriculture

AMERICAN AUTHORS $800: Here's a portrait of this author during her own age of innocence

GOING TO SEE AMMAN $800: Can't wait to see Amman's one of these structures, a word from the Greek for "on both sides"

GOING TO SEE AMMAN $1200: After completing my various labors, I'll check out the temple of this son of Zeus

SYMBOLS $400: Careful--the symbol seen here means this in a music score

ABOUT A HORSE $400: Allan "Rocky" Lane was a movie cowboy hero but is perhaps best known for voicing this '60s TV horse
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jack Reacher
Superman
Lohengrin
a Moabite
Marsy's Law
L. Frank Baum
War Horse
Mount Sinai
econ
registered
Richard Hodges
Hashemite
Oliver Hardy
Jennifer Lawrence
Assassin's Creed
Canada
Singapore
a meteorite
(Sinclair) Lewis
the "V" sign
Ceres
(Edith) Wharton
amphitheater
Hercules
sharp
Mister Ed
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
21st CENTURY OSCARS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before she was 25, she became the youngest performer to receive a second Best Actress nomination

James Rodrigues: 10000-10000=0
Kevin Patterson: 12800+7201=20001 (New Champ)
Jan Corsetty: 9400-9400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jennifer Lawrence (James – Ha Portman) (Jan – Adams)

Daily Doubles
James: 1200-1200
Kevin: 4800-3000
Kevin: 7400+2600

Coryats
James: 11200
Kevin: 14800
Jan: 9400

Combined: 35,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 6400
Kevin: 1600
Jan: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I thought today had a chance for 61 clues since many of the category names were not too long.

The crossout for James may have been going for (Anne) Hathaway. Thank you to TheJ!Fan for the interpretation as I was at first thinking either “Hi” for Hilary Swank or “Ha” for Hailee Steinfeld.

The correct name was on my paper to match Kevin since I was certain of the age factor and nomination status. I’ve was helped by having seen both films. It was nice the clue was written to avoid years as that always causes problems for board posters in interpreting film year vs. Oscar nomination/winning year.

DD1 in Heroes was proper for the bottom box as no way I was getting that without the author’s name or an actor who played the guy. The writers were all over the place in the category with a superhero, video game character, opera guy and myth guy.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was reading the chatter here: https://fikklefame.com/spoiler-talk-cotd-mon/

and the discussion brought up another name, Saoirse Ronan. She also has the distinction of two Best Actress nominations before age 25. The J! clue is still 100% accurate though ouch if someone gets a miss in that direction.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This FJ clue is a little suspect in that there are two actresses with two Best Actress nominations before reaching 25: Jennifer Lawrence and Saoirse Ronan. Jennifer was about 22 when she got her second nomination and Saoirse was 24 - so it's technically correct but confusing because they don't usually require that you know something as detailed as that. It should have said the "first woman to get a second nomination before 25" or something.

So - a technically correct clue but confusing - then again, no one said Saoirse so I doubt anyone has an argument for being allowed to come back based on a questionably worded clue.

Edited to add that I didn't see Mark's post above - thanks to taking a phone call while writing mine. I agree that it would have been awful to have guessed Saoirse or to have at least been confused as to which woman was younger when she got her second nomination. So boo to the writers for messing up the final FJ for 2018.
Last edited by Elijah Baley on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Ronan was my guess on the FJ clue, though I really wasn't sure if she had ever been nominated at all. I also considered Wallis, but didn't think she was correct.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

A friend of mine once roomed in Florence Welch's godmother's house while on a research trip in London.

They mention Arrowsmith and Elmer Gantry, but not his masterpiecse, Main Street and Babbitt?

Coryat: $38,200

J: 25R5P. Got DD. 5/5 on Gen Med and "Ite." 4/5 in Band (proud to say I missed the Coldplay one), Country, and Ballot Measures.. 3/5 in Heroes (thought it was going to be all comic book superheroes and was dreading it).

DJ: 23R4P2W. 1/2 on DDs (missed the horse one). 5/5 on Close the Case and American Authors. 4/5 on Symbols. 3/4 on Amman (my thought process at the time: "I'm pretty sure Mt. Ararat is in Turkey, but I might be wrong, so I'll go with that"). 3/5 in OED (blurted out "BMW," completely missing the point of the clue) and About a Horse.

FJ: Missed. Said Saoirse Ronan (btw, Lady Bird has a case for being the greatest film ever). I had no idea J-Law had been nominated at all.

LT: Lohengrin, Moabite, "econ," registered, Hashemite
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Jennifer Lawrence crossed my mind, but I guessed Alicia Vikander.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I noted my long FJ! streak on Saturday, so of course it breaks today on what I usually consider a strong category. Got stuck thinking last decade, so it came down to is Hilary Swank that young or did Natalie Portman get nominated before Closer (which was Supporting anyway) and couldn't convince myself of either so I went in a different direction and guessed Keira Knightley.

At home and not keeping score, I pantomimed flipping a coin and took the 50/50 with Laurel over Hardy, but on the show would have clammed rather than give someone the rebound layup. (Unless the score situation required taking the shot and I had the presence of mind under the lights to realize it.)

Sinclair Lewis' name continues to elude my memory. I knew "the guy who wrote Babbitt" but couldn't pull out the name in time. At least I've stopped saying him instead of Upton Sinclair.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought "Assassin's Creed" was an obscure pick. Poll request?

Also bit on the Stretch Armstrong negbait on the DD.

Singapore was my only miss in Country.

All but "Moabite" in "Ite".

Coldplay was my only miss in Band. Didn't know they were British, nor could I name any of their members. "Chris Martin" is about the most un-Hawley-Smoot-esque name possible.

NHO NYT vs. Sullivan. That could've been any newspaper.

Not a guess on FJ! Could be literally anyone. Clue gave me nothing to go on. I could tell you literally zero about Jennifer Lawrence.

Lach Trash: Superman, Lohengrin, registered, Richard Hodges, Oliver Hardy
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:28 pm I thought "Assassin's Creed" was an obscure pick.
Not really, although Alex did totally mangle the pronunciation of Ezio's name (it's basically ET-see-o).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:28 pm I thought "Assassin's Creed" was an obscure pick. Poll request?
The poll request will be a pass this time. It's an extra annoyance to deal with a video clue or a screen grab. The contestant got it right and it was not top box. People who know video games will get it and those that don't will have a tougher time. It would shake out as 50-50 and with only three previous clues it is not as if it's something crucial for upcoming players to know or worry about.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ugh, the FJ category from Hell. Guessed Kirsten Dunst just to have something. :roll:
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

On FJ, I spent the entire time debating between Lawrence and Ronan. (The Oscars is a bit of a specialty of mine.) I had seen Ronan on a talk show recently where she mentioned being 24, and I knew Lady Bird was her second Best Actress nomination. I still settled on Lawrence because I remembered her being younger than that when she won on her second nomination for Silver Linings Playbook. If it had truly been a coin-flip I still would have gone with Lawrence, on the theory that she is quite a bit more famous than Ronan and therefore much more likely to come up as a Jeopardy response.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

FJ was an easy cruise for me instead of being the automatic miss I expected. I've barely heard of those other names in previous posts or the two wrong answers and NHO the Ronan person. But JLaw was everywhere for a while, and I assumed the Hunger Games was part of the equation. However, from wiki I see that I've never heard of the four movies she's been nominated for, so for the record:
Spoiler
2010 Winter's Bone / Best Actress / Nominated
2012 Silver Linings Playbook / Best Actress / Won
2013 American Hustle / Best Supporting Actress / Nominated
2015 Joy /Best Actress / Nominated
Not surprised that Kevin prevailed in the movie related FJ. Wait in the rain for a theater ticket? That is getting invested in the art form.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

Over the last 5 or 6 weeks, I haven't had a single instance of blanking on an FJ...So of course on the last game of the year, and adding to a new FJ losing streak started last week, I knew exactly who was needed here (agree that SR is not famous enough yet, and I think I heard the FJ factlet when it happened), but I just could not remember her last name...So
J.
is all that went on my paper... :oops:
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

I believe there was a ‘bad’ question today. ‘In math, when the number of elements in a set is countable, it’s this type of set’. The answer accepted was ‘finite’.

A countable set can be either finite or infinite. And some use the term ‘countable set’ only to refer to an infinite set. (I presume this is since any finite set would obviously be countable). So, while ‘finite’ isn’t necessarily an incorrect answer, ‘infinite’ would be a better answer,

Or better yet, rewrite the question.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And once again, what is statistically my wheelhouse throws me for a neg. This one was even worse...
"I know this...she tripped at the Oscars! And her name is..." *time starts running out* "Anne Hathaway!"
*womp, womp*
Steppenwolf wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:01 pm I believe there was a ‘bad’ question today. ‘In math, when the number of elements in a set is countable, it’s this type of set’. The answer accepted was ‘finite’.

A countable set can be either finite or infinite. And some use the term ‘countable set’ only to refer to an infinite set. (I presume this is since any finite set would obviously be countable). So, while ‘finite’ isn’t necessarily an incorrect answer, ‘infinite’ would be a better answer,

Or better yet, rewrite the question.
Yeah...did a double take after that and looked it up. "Finite" definitely felt like what they were going for, but 'countable sets' were always infinite when I was taught them in class.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

no problem with the final jeopardy clue...lawrence is the youngest to have received 2 best actresss nominations....that other person whom i had never heard of before also received 2 before the age of 25, but she isn't the youngest to have achieved it....now if they left out "the youngest" part from the clue, then the clue would have been trash allowing for multiple answers