Monday, December 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, December 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:00 pm

FJ: Missed. Said Saoirse Ronan (btw, Lady Bird has a case for being the greatest film ever). I had no idea J-Law had been nominated at all.
never heard of that ronan person before...instaget with lawrence....winter's bone is one of the few movies from this century that i have seen....great movie
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Today is a day to count lucky stars. If I would have recalled Saorise Ronan, I probably would have guessed her. I follow the late night talk shows to try to keep up with some pop culture (and for the laughs) and she's been all over them. NHO any of Lawrence's nominated films, but was a fan of the Hunger Games series (read the books, too, which is a rarity for me.) I recall that during the media tours for one of those movies, it came up that she had been nominated for something else (thanks again late night hosts), so she was my WAG. As the music was running out, I even said out loud that I figured I was wrong, but I at least could guess a young actress as the clue required.

Pure, dumb luck on that one.
--Peter
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:15 pm This FJ clue is a little suspect in that there are two actresses with two Best Actress nominations before reaching 25: Jennifer Lawrence and Saoirse Ronan. Jennifer was about 22 when she got her second nomination and Saoirse was 24 - so it's technically correct but confusing because they don't usually require that you know something as detailed as that. It should have said the "first woman to get a second nomination before 25" or something.

So - a technically correct clue but confusing - then again, no one said Saoirse so I doubt anyone has an argument for being allowed to come back based on a questionably worded clue.

Edited to add that I didn't see Mark's post above - thanks to taking a phone call while writing mine. I agree that it would have been awful to have guessed Saoirse or to have at least been confused as to which woman was younger when she got her second nomination. So boo to the writers for messing up the final FJ for 2018.
Glad I wasn't as far off base as I thought; I typed in Ronan's name (and was mildly surprised to have spelled it correctly) when I did the NYT Clue of the Day this morning. She was on the surface of my mind since we watched "Lady Bird" about two weeks or so ago and then saw "Mary, Queen of Scots" as our Christmas afternoon movie. A month ago Lawrence would have had a better chance of surfacing, but I still don't think I would have gotten it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:50 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:28 pm I thought "Assassin's Creed" was an obscure pick. Poll request?
The poll request will be a pass this time. It's an extra annoyance to deal with a video clue or a screen grab. The contestant got it right and it was not top box. People who know video games will get it and those that don't will have a tougher time. It would shake out as 50-50 and with only three previous clues it is not as if it's something crucial for upcoming players to know or worry about.
I mostly don't know video games except for Elder Scrolls stuff--Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. But Assassin's Creed is heavily advertised and has a distinctive look. This 53 year-old got that one right.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Plactus wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:52 pm At home and not keeping score, I pantomimed flipping a coin and took the 50/50 with Laurel over Hardy, but on the show would have clammed rather than give someone the rebound layup.
Was the coin flip because you weren't sure which name went with which character? Or was it because you weren't sure which character was constantly faulting and criticizing the other?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I know the category was AMERICAN AUTHORS, so C. S. is off the table. But I still think "Who is Lewis?" should get a BMS.

"Moabite" was the categorically correct term for Ruth since it had to end in "ite". But in the King James, which the show often uses to pin correct responses, Ruth is a Moabitess.

I had the right amount of knowledge to get this FJ without being distracted by competing possibilities.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:23 am I know the category was AMERICAN AUTHORS, so C. S. is off the table. But I still think "Who is Lewis?" should get a BMS.
They need to get rid of BMSs. There is absolutely zero consistency as to when they are applied. Either require first names at all times or never require them.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Lost a Jennifer Lawrence/Emma Stone coin flip.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:14 am
Plactus wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:52 pm At home and not keeping score, I pantomimed flipping a coin and took the 50/50 with Laurel over Hardy, but on the show would have clammed rather than give someone the rebound layup.
Was the coin flip because you weren't sure which name went with which character? Or was it because you weren't sure which character was constantly faulting and criticizing the other?
I can't answer for Plactus, but for me the answer would be both. For me, it's not Laurel and Hardy, it's LaurelAndHardy. They're an inseparable pair with a single name. I can't even attach first names correctly, even though I know those are Stan and Oliver.

And I did the same as he did - It's a coin flip and I'd wait for a rebound rather than risk giving the rebound away.
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:12 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:23 am I know the category was AMERICAN AUTHORS, so C. S. is off the table. But I still think "Who is Lewis?" should get a BMS.
They need to get rid of BMSs. There is absolutely zero consistency as to when they are applied. Either require first names at all times or never require them.
And don't BMS words that are vaguely synonymous to the correct response, because it always becomes a game of "guess the synonym" that never seems to work in the contestant's favor.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:34 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:12 am
And don't BMS words that are vaguely synonymous to the correct response, because it always becomes a game of "guess the synonym" that never seems to work in the contestant's favor.
I know what you're talking about, and it's no fun to see a BMS turn a contestant into a deer in the headlights, but "are vaguely synonymous to" here means "have a definition that is similar to, but less specific than," and it wouldn't be fair either to simply neg or accept the response. They don't want contestants saying, "I would have gotten it right if he had told me to BMS, and what I said wasn't outright wrong," or "X is not the same thing as Y, and only somewhat fit the wording of the clue, and I was ready to rebound with Y when they accepted X."
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Only missing Marsy's Law, Embiggen, Manafort, Richard Hodges, and Oliver Hardy)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Superman, Lohengrin, (Jack Reacher), Moabite, (L. Frank Baum), Mount Sinai, Econ, Registered, Hashemite
Douglas Squasoni
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

33,800 coryat. Instaget final. Glad Saorise Ronan didn't come to mind or I might've had a bit of a dilemma but I'm fairly certain I would've still gone with Lawrence.
I would prefer not to.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:14 am
Both are true.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?