Wednesday, January 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7898, 2019-01-02

CONTESTANTS
Jordan Skidmore, a chef from Dublin, California
Danielle Phillip, an attorney from Ann Arbor, Michigan
Jonathan Dinerstein, a composer from Los Angeles, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. In becoming our first champion of 2019, Jonathan Dinerstein turned yesterday's game into a runaway. He could not be caught in Final Jeopardy! Will that be the case today as he faces Danielle and Jordan? Let's start finding out. Good luck. Here we go. The categories are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ONE-WORD MOVIE TITLES (5/5)
IN THEIR WILLS (4/5)
BUILDING AN IDIOM (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will contain a structure or a dwelling.)
CHARACTER MASHUPS (5/5) (Alex: We want you to identify the characters we have mashed up together.)
COUNT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
YOUR BLESSINGS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonathan: 16 R, 1 W
Danielle: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Jordan: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jonathan: $5,600
Danielle: $2,200
Jordan: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jordan Skidmore is a chef from Dublin, California. That's in the San Francisco Bay area. You grew up in Florida. What made you move to the Bay?

Jordan: Well, I grew up in a small town, and I was just ready for something new. And I wanted to go to culinary school, found one in San Francisco.

Alex: Not a bad place to--if you're a chef.

Jordan: Absolutely.

Alex: To wind up working.

Jordan: For sure.

Alex: Yeah, it's a good job.

Alex: Danielle Phillip is an attorney from Ann Arbor, Michigan, who worked once in a fast food restaurant. You were named...

Danielle: Grillperson of the Month.

Alex: Aha!

Danielle: It was my first job in high school, and I was working in the grill. And the other person who was supposed to work with me did not show up for work that day, so I didn't know that I could tell someone that. So I just kept working through the lunch rush, and I let my manager know at the end of the shift that they needed to find someone else to take care of things 'cause I was going to be leaving for the day, but no one had noticed because everything had gotten done. So when I came to work the next day, they told me that I was Grillperson of the Month for doing that.

Alex: Good for you.

[Alex high-fives Danielle.]

Alex: All right. Yeah, good job.

Alex: Jonathan Dinerstein is our champion. He is a composer, and you host a podcast about...

Jonathan: About film music, which is my specialty.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Jonathan: My friend and I are going down the American Film Institute's list of the 25 top scores in American cinema history, and we're sort of talking about them. We play some clips of the music, talk about what we like.

Alex: Okay. According to AFI, what's number 1?

Jonathan: AFI lists number 1 as Star Wars.

Alex: Oh boy.

Jonathan: It's a good one.

Alex: Not a bad choice.

Jonathan: Yep.

Alex: Not a bad choice.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Danielle found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Jonathan had $6,000, Danielle had $3,200, and Jordan was at $2,000. Danielle wagered $1,000.

COUNT $1000: Ridge count is an important number in identifying these in the AFIS system in forensics

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IN THEIR WILLS $1000: Benjamin Franklin gave his daughter a memento containing 408 of these gems, but she couldn't use them for jewelry

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jonathan: $7,400
Danielle: $6,600
Jordan: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE PLANTAGENETS (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ART (4/5)
THE "CO"-CATEGORY (4/5)
USA (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV BANDS (5/5)
HALLMARK ANNIVERSARY GIFTS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonathan: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Danielle: 5 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jordan: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Danielle snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Jonathan had $8,600, Danielle had $7,400, and Jordan was at $2,800. Danielle wagered $1,400.

USA $1200: Surprisingly, of the more than 164 million items in its collection, fewer than a quarter are catalogued books

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jordan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Jonathan had $19,400, Danielle had $12,000, and Jordan was at $2,400. Jordan wagered $2,000.

THE PLANTAGENETS $1600: Edward I took a famous rock from this village to Westminster
(Jordan: What is... I don't know.)
(Alex: Well, the famous Stone of [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
USA $1600: Beginning with 99801, its zip codes are the highest of any state capital's
(Jonathan: What is Sacramento?)

USA $2000: "Home On The Range" is this Midwest state's official song
(Jordan: What is Wyoming?)

ART $1600: A young Bill Murray turned from thoughts of suicide on seeing "The Song of the Lark", a painting in this U.S. museum

THE "CO"-CATEGORY $800: Parts of these heraldic emblems include a crest, a helm, a mantle & sometimes lion supporters

THE PLANTAGENETS $800: The first Plantagenet king, Henry II is remembered for his quarrel with this unfortunate clergyman
(Jonathan: Who is Aquinas?)
(Danielle: Who is More?)

HALLMARK ANNIVERSARY GIFTS $1200: For this anniversary 3 years after gold, it's time to say I love you even more... with plastic
(Alex: Gold is 50. This is [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jonathan: $19,400
Danielle: $12,000
Jordan: $400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH MEMOIRS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Jonathan: Wager $4,601 to cover Danielle, but no more than $18,599 so as not to fall behind Jordan's doubled score.
Danielle: You have the hope of surpassing Jonathan if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,401 and as much as $11,200 to force Jonathan to wager to win while still protecting your second place position from being usurped by Jordan.
Jordan: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before his death in 1996, this famous son wrote the memoirs "The Enchanted Places" & "The Hollow on the Hill"

FINAL SCORES
Jordan: $400 - $0 = $400 (Who is Churchill) (3rd place: $1,000)
Danielle: $12,000 - $11,000 = $1,000 (Who is Christopher Tolkien?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jonathan: $19,400 + $4,601 = $24,001 (Who is Milne?) (2-day champion: $40,501)
(Alex: Famous son of the creator of Winnie-the-Pooh.)
(Alex: [To Jonathan] We are going to accept that. [*], the son of A.A. Milne.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jonathan: $19,400, 30 R, 4 W
Danielle: $11,800, 15 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Jordan: $2,400, 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Jonathan: 31/58 = .534
Danielle: 15/60 = .250
Jordan: 6/59 = .102
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COUNT $600: This count determines how many erythrocytes & leukocytes you have on average
(Jonathan: What is a white blood cell count?)

BUILDING AN IDIOM $200: This 3-word phrase means to take care of things while someone else is away
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

YOUR BLESSINGS $600: October 4, the feast day of this 13th century Italian saint, is the day to get your pet blessed
(Jonathan: Who is Assisi? ...Who is, uh, [*]?)
(Alex: Thank you.)

THE "CO"-CATEGORY $2000: (Iain Armitage of TV's Young Sheldon presents the clue.) A very smart engineering professor has written an article on how high balls bounce based on this, the numeral in a quantity like 3x, "of restitution"

HALLMARK ANNIVERSARY GIFTS $800: The suggestion for a 28th anniversary is these household items that have their own "closet" & come from the flax plant
(Danielle: What's a broom?)

HALLMARK ANNIVERSARY GIFTS $1600: The 52nd anniversary theme is bath or this, a place with lots of baths named for a town in Belgium
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

THE PLANTAGENETS $1200: Henry IV led several expeditions into this region but couldn't defeat its rebel Owen Glendower
(Jonathan: What is Scotland?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
fingerprints
diamonds
the Library of Congress
Scone
Juneau, Alaska
Kansas
the Art Institute of Chicago
coats of arms
Thomas à Becket
Christopher Robin Milne
a blood count
mind the store
Francis of Assisi
the coefficient of restitution
linens
a spa
Wales
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH MEMOIRS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before his death in 1996, this famous son wrote the memoirs “The Enchanted Places” & “The Hollow on the Hill”

Jonathan Dinerstein: 19400+4601=24001 (2X = $40,501)
Danielle Phillip: 12000-11000=1000
Jordan Skidmore: 400-0=400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Christopher Robin Milne (Jonathan – Milne) (Danielle – Christopher Tolkien) (Jordan – Churchill)

Daily Doubles
Danielle: 3200+1000
Danielle: 7400+1400
Jordan: 2400-2000

Coryats
Jonathan: 19400
Danielle: 11800
Jordan: 2400

Combined: 33,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jonathan: 7400
Danielle: 6600
Jordan: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

J! has still not run out of Iain Armitage clues yet. [Thumbs up!] I like the readings by the kid and the negative posts on other message boards are often hilarious as he drives them crazy.

I’m glad there was time to complete the J! round as the last clue ($400) in BUILDING AN IDIOM was a good one: We’re doing this, wagering everything--if we lose, guess someone else will tend the cows

Very nice by Danielle to throw Alex a curve on CHARACTER MASHUP $200: Huckleberry Finch (1884 & 1960) as she named the daughter and not the old man for the second part.

The FJ! round made me laugh as off the category I thought perhaps Churchill and that was Jordan’s guess. Also off the category I eliminated Danielle’s wrong guy in recalling the CHARACTER MASHUP clue with Baggins.

I ended up with the right guy though not without wondering about Kenneth Grahame since the given titles made me think of The Wind in the Willows.

Jonathan demonstrated that last name alone was acceptable. What was not given was what if one of the contestants did not have the famous surname. The judges would have anticipated it to be ready either way though.

Johnny may stumble over “two day total” tomorrow since he has not said the words in a while. :D
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 am Very nice by Danielle to throw Alex a curve on CHARACTER MASHUP $200: Huckleberry Finch (1884 & 1960) as she named the daughter and not the old man for the second part.
I also said the daughter and it took me until now to figure out why Alex hesitated for so long on that one. *facepalm*
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Danielle's story about grill person of the month was a good one and too bad it was not an episode of Undercover Boss as she would have received an even better reward. The high-five from Alex though is a good consolation prize.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

YouTube posted this episode very early so I was already able to watch it.

I said Atticus for the Finch clue.

I couldn't come up with anything for FJ so I also just guessed Churchill.

Congrats to Jonathan on another good win. He reminds me a bit of Alex Jacob. We'll see if he achieves the same level of success.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Coin toss for Milne and Tolkien as the titles evoked both of their works. I couldn't remember the "famous" offsprings first names. The fact that they're both Christopher seems a bit remarkable (although duh that it would be Christopher Robin Milne).

Unfortunately, the coin landed on the wrong side; maybe if I had seen either of the two recent movies about Milne, this might have been an instaget.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I would have put just "Christopher Robin" without even stopping to think. I hope it would have been accepted, although I suppose technically it's wrong.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 am Jonathan demonstrated that last name alone was acceptable.
Well, they did accept just Fonda in that Wills category...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

From October:
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:46 pm One more for Blarney Stone. I need to move Stone of Scone closer to the front of my mental rolodex.
LOL, hi there 3rd Daily Double. Not even gonna embarrass myself by revealing what I guessed today.
Leander

Post by Leander »

NHO the memoirs and have not seen the recent movie, so I was lost for FJ. Guessed Christopher Tolkien, but was pretty sure he didn’t qualify as famous.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Blood count" kept me from running Count.

Weird when $200 is my only miss/NHOI in a category. "Mind the store" was utterly unfamiliar to me.

"Fredo Corleone" also seemed obscure for the first box. If that name has come up before, then it sure didn't stick. Only Corleone I know is Don.

Loved seeing a clue on Traverse City, Michigan. Used to go there all the time.

I bit on the Sacramento ZIP code negbait. As I always do.

"Plantagenets" had "0/5 for Hammer" all over it. As did this FJ! I saw no way to figure it out at all.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Leander wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:15 pm NHO the memoirs and have not seen the recent movie, so I was lost for FJ. Guessed Christopher Tolkien, but was pretty sure he didn’t qualify as famous.
He also doesn't qualify as dead. :D
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I'm giving myself credit for "manning the fort" instead of "mind the store." Matches the clue and the category, no?

It might not be so if the clue had been different, but "Sermon on the Mount" is way overvalued at $800.

Unless there's a clue about The Monkees or Jesse and the Rippers, I am going to absolutely blow this TV Bands category...

Or the Partridge Family!

Oh, I knew this one too! "You all, everybody!"

...and The Muppets. Wow, maybe my pessimism was unjustified.

OK, don't know that one.

Coryat: $36,400

J: 24R6P. Got DD. 5/5 on Wills, Mashups, and Count. 4/5 on Blessings (my parents are Friends, saints were never much a part of my life). 3/5 on Building an Idiom. 2/5 (unsurprisingly) on Movie Titles.

DJ: 5/5 on Art (Art Institute of Chicago for Bill Murray was a lucky, but reasonable, guess). 4/4 on Plantagenets. 4/5 on "Co." 3/5 on USA (I,too, said Sacramento) and Hallmark.

FJ: Missed. I've had a bad run on FJ lately--usually I'm around 90% but over the last few weeks it's been closer to 75%. Initially came up with Christopher Tolkien until I remembered that he is still very much alive...irked that "Christopher" didn't lead me to the other literary son Christopher, though.

LT: diamonds, Kansas, Art Institute of Chicago, Coats of arms
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

My jaw hit the floor when 53rd anniversary was a stand and stare.
I bet it would poll over 80%.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:22 pm From October:
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:46 pm One more for Blarney Stone. I need to move Stone of Scone closer to the front of my mental rolodex.
LOL, hi there 3rd Daily Double. Not even gonna embarrass myself by revealing what I guessed today.
I spent the clue thinking, “this was a clue just a few weeks ago, don’t say Blarney, don’t say Blarney!”

I knew the answer to the Bill Murray clue was in Chicago, but I blurted out the Field Museum before realizing that’s Chicago’s history museum.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Had this final very very quickly, and wrote just "Who is Milne" along with Jonathan. Nice work to put up nearly $20k without any DD help, he's a real good champ and I hope he hangs around a few more games.
Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:48 pm
Unless there's a clue about The Monkees or Jesse and the Rippers, I am going to absolutely blow this TV Bands category...

Blew the TV category too, but more importantly, thanks for eliminating any chance of this clip being a complete non-sequitur LOL. It's the guys and Becky singing the House At Pooh Corner, may be part of the reason why this Final was a super-instaget for me.

J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Figured the writers meant 'son' in the figurative sense. The titles pointed me straight to Tolkien, and I knew Christopher Tolkien is very much alive. so I went with J.R.R. Tolkien. :?

Jeers to the contestants for running away from the Plantagenets and their poor performance in the category. I remember watching 'The Lion in Winter' in my Brit Lit class in high school, no way I would miss Thomas a Becket. :x

I would've thought Kansas's state song to be 'Dust in the Wind'. 8-)
davey

Post by davey »

Those titles seemed Tolkienesque to me, but I was concerned a first name was needed. Once I remembered there was a Christopher Tolkien I started to think the son wasn't "famous" enough, and ruminating further on Christopher made me realize that the famous son must be Christopher Robin...But by then it was too late... :(