Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

Oh New Zealand... *facepalm*

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46234545
High School students in New Zealand who didn't know what the word "trivial" meant in an exam question have demanded not to be marked down as a result.
The students were asked to write an essay based on the Julius Caesar quote: "In war, events of importance are the result of trivial causes."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

That Monday Night Football game broke Dave Mattingly’s Twitter bot.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Just because I don't like this thread on page 2:

Is Rex Parker the crossword blogger related to Hammer?

...A doc about Lena HORNE? I don't associate "Stormy Weather" with her, so no luck there...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Good old boxing, nothing ever changes.

115-111 Deontay Wilder
114-110 Tyson Fury
113-113
Split decision draw. :roll:

What a 12th round!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Getting it back on page 1.

Really AZ? You trade Goldschmidt to the Cardinals of all teams? You couldn't have sent that blankin' pita to the AL? At least he's out of the NL West to cut down on the 19 games of opposition a season. Still, anything that makes STL better is a whole lotta bad news.

Certain other boardies with specific avatars will have a different opinion of course.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:03 pm Getting it back on page 1.

Really AZ? You trade Goldschmidt to the Cardinals of all teams? You couldn't have sent that blankin' pita to the AL? At least he's out of the NL West to cut down on the 19 games of opposition a season. Still, anything that makes STL better is a whole lotta bad news.

Certain other boardies with specific avatars will have a different opinion of course.
I'm pretty excited about the deal. Luke Weaver (RHP) seemed to regress a bit in 2018. Carson Kelly (C) looked really promising in the minors but, at the MLB level, he had major problems hitting and it seemed to affect his defense. He might do better with some honest-to-goodness playing time, and Weaver is talented enough to get things figured out, but the Cardinals have the depth to replace both of them. I don't know anything about Andy Young, and the Cardinals will get a draft pick back if they can't extend Goldschmidt.

I'm not sure the Cardinals have had a legitimate "oh, crap" hitter since Pujols (you know what I mean: "Oh, crap--look who's coming up this inning!").
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:03 pm Getting it back on page 1.

Really AZ? You trade Goldschmidt to the Cardinals of all teams? You couldn't have sent that blankin' pita to the AL? At least he's out of the NL West to cut down on the 19 games of opposition a season. Still, anything that makes STL better is a whole lotta bad GOOD news.

FIFY :mrgreen:
BlueberryPlainsNever
Contributor

Post by BlueberryPlainsNever »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:03 pm
I'm just happy my team is keeping Eovaldi and Sale.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This site may be of interest to other people as well. Scientific instruments of Medieval and Renaissance Europe:

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/epact/
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I figure someone on here might know....I found out the other day my grandpa earned 2 bronze stars in WW II. He never mentioned it to anyone; even his wife and my dad didn't know until they were going through papers after he died. This was years ago, but I just now heard about it. Nobody knows why he earned them, just that he did. I saw a way to find who earned them online, but there's a .exe file to download, and the site looks like it hasn't been maintained in years, so I'm skeptical of the security measures--plus, that may just be a list of who, not why. Does anyone know any other way to find out why he would've gotten them? He was on the grounds crew for the Flying Tigers, stationed in China, if that helps.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

ouachiouat wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:49 am I figure someone on here might know....I found out the other day my grandpa earned 2 bronze stars in WW II. He never mentioned it to anyone; even his wife and my dad didn't know until they were going through papers after he died. This was years ago, but I just now heard about it. Nobody knows why he earned them, just that he did. I saw a way to find who earned them online, but there's a .exe file to download, and the site looks like it hasn't been maintained in years, so I'm skeptical of the security measures--plus, that may just be a list of who, not why. Does anyone know any other way to find out why he would've gotten them? He was on the grounds crew for the Flying Tigers, stationed in China, if that helps.
Go to your county office of veterans affairs to ask.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:04 am
ouachiouat wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:49 am I figure someone on here might know....I found out the other day my grandpa earned 2 bronze stars in WW II. He never mentioned it to anyone; even his wife and my dad didn't know until they were going through papers after he died. This was years ago, but I just now heard about it. Nobody knows why he earned them, just that he did. I saw a way to find who earned them online, but there's a .exe file to download, and the site looks like it hasn't been maintained in years, so I'm skeptical of the security measures--plus, that may just be a list of who, not why. Does anyone know any other way to find out why he would've gotten them? He was on the grounds crew for the Flying Tigers, stationed in China, if that helps.
Go to your county office of veterans affairs to ask.
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but there may be some confusion as to your Grandad's honoraria. Two Bronze Stars would be unusual, if not rare. Props to your Grandad and the greatest generation.

There may be some confusion as to whether he had a "battle star" vs. the actual stand-alone medal. A family friend's obituary said he had won 3 or 4 "bronze stars", and my father said they had confused them with battle stars. He didn't say this as if it was a participation trophy, as this gentleman was constantly in harm's way as a combat engineer.
My father earned a bronze star after getting stuck behind enemy lines and getting his squad out. There is a version with a "V" for valor, as well, and the next level up is the Silver Star, which is some badass honor. (disclaimer - Militaria experts, please be gentle and informative, this is not my lane. Now I should Wiki that information since I just got it from my late father and took it at face value).

Does your family still have the medals? I don't think they came with ceremony and paperwork, at least not in the theater of operations. My father said that a CO went by his foxhole and called out for Sergeant Meares, and tossed it to him. If there was paperwork, it got lost when he was evacuated to the field hospital and he lost all his personal possessions. We do have all the hardware, however. His proudest medal was his CIB (Combat Infantryman's Badge), and the BS and PH were circumstantial.

I hope you find some resources and the backstory. If there is a public record, please PM me, I'd like to noodle Sgt. Meares paperwork as well.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

You may want to start here:

https://www.archives.gov/personnel-reco ... l-requests

There may be a nominal fee for access and copying, but it would be on the order of a few dollars to perhaps tens of dollars; not hundreds.

However, there was fire in the archives in 1973 that destroyed about 80% of the records of Army personnel discharged between 1912 and 1964. The archive says many have been reconstructed from other sources, but reconstruction of most was incomplete.

It also may depend on when he served with the unit. The "Flying Tigers" started as AVG, the American Volunteer Group, and were civilians not serving under the auspices of the U.S. military early in the war. Records of activities prior to their incorporation into the U.S. Army in 1942 are spotty, and any awards earned during that period would have come from the Chinese government.

I served with the 23rd Tac Fighter Wing in the late '80s; 23 TFW is considered the lineal descendant of the Flying Tigers and still uses some of the heraldry from the original unit. The current 23rd Wing flies A-10s and C-130s with the Flying Tigers shark teeth on the nose, and the squadrons still have the same numbering and insignia. Hope you'll share what you find. I'm sure your research will be interesting.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Oof...of all the days for Sporcle to break...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Today is the 105th birthday of the Crossword Puzzle. :idea: :D
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The Archivists should get ready to add a new link in the player pages of Brad Rutter, Alan Bailey, and Ethan Brosowsky next week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:29 pm The Archivists should get ready to add a new link in the player pages of Brad Rutter, Alan Bailey, and Ethan Brosowsky next week.
Is there something unusual I need to set my DVR to see? Millionaire is in reruns, so it can't be that show. It can't be J! as former players being shown in the audience does not get a new line in a J! bio. Common Knowledge does not start until next week. America Says with the fourth person not a J! alum? No way Brad would stoop to TPIR or WOF. Million Dollar Mind Game coming back? :)
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:05 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:29 pm The Archivists should get ready to add a new link in the player pages of Brad Rutter, Alan Bailey, and Ethan Brosowsky next week.
Is there something unusual I need to set my DVR to see? Millionaire is in reruns, so it can't be that show. It can't be J! as former players being shown in the audience does not get a new line in a J! bio. Common Knowledge does not start until next week. America Says with the fourth person not a J! alum? No way Brad would stoop to TPIR or WOF. Million Dollar Mind Game coming back? :)
Jonathan Dinerstein is going to be on Jeopardy! Tuesday. :idea:
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey

2011 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Winner Raynell Cooper on "It's Academic"

Douglas Squasoni